Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Busa' six pots on my 600?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gixer Trickster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:43 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Busa' six pots on my 600? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if a pair of 'busa six pot calipers will be allright on my gsxr600 SRAD, as the front brake leaves alot to be desired.
Any help will be most welcome.

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 20:44 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR brakes are normally pretty good, I would make sure they're bled properly first and if you haven't got braided lines get them.

Gixer Trickster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:51 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooby wrote:
GSXR brakes are normally pretty good, I would make sure they're bled properly first and if you haven't got braided lines get them.
That was quick scooby only took one minute to reply Very Happy . Thanks for the advice i'll try getting some braided hoses and some new pads first and see if that will make any differance. Do you think it would be going too far fitting six pots then,would the brake be too sharp?

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 20:59 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh I'm not sure that fitting 6 pot calipers will nessesarily make your brakes any better. I've ridden bikes with 6 pots that aren't that impressive and bikes with 4 pots that are amazingly good.

Does your gixxer stoppie with the brakes as they are now?

As Scooby said I would look at some braided hoses and maybe Carbon Lorraine pads before you go shelling out for new callipers.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:08 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty is right there,

The number of pots makes less difference than the actual construction of the caliper. If the caliper is billet (IE made from one bit of metal) then it is less likely to flex under load and will give a more consistent braking performance.

R1 calipers for example are 1 piece units.

Both Busa and Gixxer 600 calipers are 2 piece, but they should still give you amazing stopping power.

Failing braided hoses and new pads, try www.pretech.co.uk or www.billet.co.uk

Plus 6 potters are supposed to have a reputation for making the disks warp, especially if one of the pots is seized.

Bear in mind that with a lot of caliper transplants you will need a new master cylinder too, whereas the aftermarket Harrison or Pretech calipers will be designed for your bike.

The only difficulty you will have with these brakes is strengthening the forks for those stoppies! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gixer Trickster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:18 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:
Tbh I'm not sure that fitting 6 pot calipers will nessesarily make your brakes any better. I've ridden bikes with 6 pots that aren't that impressive and bikes with 4 pots that are amazingly good.

Does your gixxer stoppie with the brakes as they are now?

As Scooby said I would look at some braided hoses and maybe Carbon Lorraine pads before you go shelling out for new callipers.
Yes my gixer will stoppie but you have to give 'em a right pull before they start working with any urgency. There is no real bite to them, and they shudder sometimes at low speeds. Confused Could this be the start of the pots siezing?

Gixer Trickster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:23 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The only difficulty you will have with these brakes is strengthening the forks for those stoppies! Smile
Cheers mate ill have a look at those sites later on.Where you being serious about the forks?

Last edited by Gixer Trickster on 23:35 - 30 Mar 2004; edited 1 time in total

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 22:33 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a right pull before they start working with any urgency

For initial bite some braided hoses and better pads should make quite a lot of difference.

When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? If you have old fluid this can also make the brakes spongy.

Another short term fix you could try is tying the lever back as close to the clip on as you can with a cable tie and leaving it over night. In the morning use a small spanner and starting at the calipers tap upwards along the brake lines to where they join the lever/master cylinder, then take the cable tie off. This simple 5 minute job can clear a lot of air bubbles from the brake system.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:19 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't 100% serious about the forks, but its worth checking that their damping is OK, because if its not the improved brakes might cause problems with pogoing. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 15:21 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also bear in mind that you may also need to upgrade the bore/entire master cylinder in order to make full use of the extra pots. In fact, there's a chance that the 6-pots will perform worse unless you do that.

But as has been said - just try braided hoses etc first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:16 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiN wrote:
Also bear in mind that you may also need to upgrade the bore/entire master cylinder in order to make full use of the extra pots. In fact, there's a chance that the 6-pots will perform worse unless you do that.

But as has been said - just try braided hoses etc first.

TiN;

MarJay wrote:
the aftermarket Harrison or Pretech calipers will be designed for your bike.

These calipers don't need a new master cylinder They are custom designed for use with the standard master cylinder. Busa calipers will need a new one however. Thumbs Up

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 20:50 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word no they wont fit, your bike has rightway up forks and the busa has USD forks and the mounting points are different.

You could make them fit by getting brackets made up but its really not worth it.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:44 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busa's use the standard Tokico 6 pots as far as I know.

I've got a feeling that some Tokico 4 pots and 6 pots are interchangeable. However I know some Tokico 4 pots do have a different mount spacing.
I doubt it would make a major difference though.
I'm not that great a fan of the 6 pots standard either, but with braided hoses and decent pads they are quite good.

Personally, as others have said, I'd avoid all the hassle of messing about with different calipers and just change your hoses and pads.
For pads I'd go for Carbone Loraine S3 .... best pad I've used, noticablely better than the EBC HH when you're really pushing it ... only a small difference in the end, but still noticeable.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:55 - 03 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Busa's use the standard Tokico 6 pots as far as I know.

They are indeed. TL also uses them, along with lots of Kawasaki's. They will not bolt onto a GSXR600.

I would suggest getting braided lines, decent pads, and a bigger bore master cylinder.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:14 - 03 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GSXR600 used Tokico 4pots, like the ZX6r G model... got a feeling the mounts are likely to be pretty much the same. However that still doesn't make it worth it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1