Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Poorly indicators

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:32 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Poorly indicators Reply with quote

I've got a Suzuki GS125 86 C plate that has gone funny.

I went for a spin today and noticed that my indicators weren't working at all. I stopped and fiddled with them, turning them on and off but nothing. Then they came on but were blinking at least twice as fast as normal then stopped working at all.

All my other electrics are working fine. I'm not very practical but the girlfriends dad reckons there is a loose wire, maybe the negative earth?

How would I start to find the route of the problem and also how would I rectify it?

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:40 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a dodgy switch. Split the switch-box in two by taking out the screws and clean it all up and spray with WD40. Be careful not to lose any springs that may pop out though. If that doesn't work then it could be the relay. It will be a small black box with one or two wires coming from it. You can find it by tracing the wires from your indicators. Thumbs Up Smile

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 10:03 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also take all the bulbs out and clean the contacts on them and the contacts in the actual indicators.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

needa400
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:06 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bulb flashing twice as quick usually means that the indicator on that side that isn't working is the problem. This could be a bulb going, or perhaps you have a short circuit which is blowing bulbs / fuses.When you turn the indicators on, can you hear a clicking sound? If you can then the relay ok and problem somewhere else, If not, trace all the wires from indicators, check bulbs / fuses and that all wires are ok, and not rotted as the do on some GS's of this age!

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:01 - 05 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, me and the girlfriend's dad have had the bike in bits! The switch is fine and there is a circuit from the front indicators to the rear ones. Power gets to the flasher unit but doesn't seem to get out. 12v into it but no output. I've replaced it but don't know if it was the right one or indeed if it actually works as I bought it from a breakers.

Thing is if we connect the permanent live to any of the indicators they light but do not flash so that has led us to believe it is the flasher unit. Would we be right in assuming that?

Also, do flasher units come in different voltages etc as the one which was originally in, which was red hot before it stopped working, is 12.8V.

needa400
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:19 - 05 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you are saying it sounds to me that the flasher unit is the only possible explanation.

I think you need to get a certain flasher unit on some bikes, in order to cope with voltage, but I'm not sure. Go to the dealers, should only cost a couple of quid!

But yeah, I think that the flasher is your problem. Replace it with a new one and hope for the best!

Needa
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1