Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which 125 After CBT?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

A
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:28 - 05 Apr 2004    Post subject: Which 125 After CBT? Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I've recently done my CBT and need a bike to commute to work.

Its only a couple of miles of dual carraige way + some slower town riding.

I would love to get a sporty 125, something that handles well for this type of journey and looks the business Twisted Evil Something that would also be good for a blast at the weekend!

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks
A

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:53 - 05 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, but quite a few people on here may suggest the NSR125R. I have one, loads of people have had or have one and I am using it to commute a couple of miles each day. They are sporty and can be picked up from around £1300 in good nick, got mine for £1000, bargain!

Craig G(Noggin)

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:03 - 06 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not sporty, but the bike I started with was a Yamma SR-125. It was beautiful to ride, feels, rides and sounds like a larger bike. The apparent downside is that they are 4-stroke, so less power than a 2-stroke, but it would still reach 70MPH at full bore, though I found it would overheat if it was run for long periods at 65 or more (did a run from Nottingham to London the day after getting my CBT Laughing ) so kept it around 60, which is fine for a bit of dual carriage way.

Getting a kawasaki KH-125 this week, not sure how that will work out, but 2-stroke, so maybe more power Thumbs Up

A
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:21 - 06 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the quick replies guys.

I've read a lot about the NSR and it sounds like the one. Just got to find one for the right price. Are they easy to look after?

I like the look of the Sachs XTC (I know its a 4 stroke!), does anyone have any experience of riding one? Just not sure if i've got the time or experience to maintain a 2 stroke Neutral

Good luck with the Kawasaki Hush Thumbs Up

A

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:30 - 06 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers A. I'd have gone with something like an NSR, but I have noticed that all the 125's I've seen made up to look like sports bikes have tiny exhausts with an annoying 'lawnmower' high pitch sound. I'm sure a larger exhaust would tame that but I just couldn't do with riding down the road with a 'whhheeerrr' sound emanating from my tail Wink The SR had a nice deep sound to her, and I hope the KH will be similar.

Hope you find an NSR at the price you want, and that the future holds many years of fantastic biking for you Smile

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 15:48 - 06 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hush wrote:
Getting a kawasaki KH-125 this week, not sure how that will work out, but 2-stroke, so maybe more power Thumbs Up

If your going to upgrade to a 2 stroke 125 you might as well get an old sports 125. A KH125 won't be much faster than a 4 stroke 125. Whereas there will be a big difference between an old sports 2 stoke and a 4 stroke bike.

Penny Coin Penny Coin

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:00 - 06 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much an upgrade as a needed a cheap buy to replace a stolen SR-125 Crying or Very sad

There was a bunch of stuff to choose from, but I wanted that style of bike, but couldn't find a decent well priced SR-125. Truthfully, I'd have liked a Honda Dragstar, but they were well out of my pocket at the moment... This will do for now, and it's only for local travel now and weekend pleasure cruising, so I'm not too worried about the power or speed (as long as it will comfortably run distances at 60 or so). What really bugs me is loosing the electric starter from the SR-125... it was so convenient. Wondered about adding an electric starter to the KH, but would probably look out of place with the starter motor and all.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:49 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Most small 125 2 strokes can be kick started with your hand. I could certainly operate the kickstart with my hand on my old MBX125.

All the best

Keith

DaveS
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:51 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Most small 125 2 strokes can be kick started with your hand. I could certainly operate the kickstart with my hand on my old MBX125.

I second this, my TZR requires little to no effort to kickstart even with your hand

..Dave

Stevie Northants
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:16 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprilia rs125 would be good for your weekend blasts but you really need to keep on top of maintenance for it,good oil etc.

Stevie Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:55 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hush wrote:
I'd have gone with something like an NSR, but I have noticed that all the 125's I've seen made up to look like sports bikes have tiny exhausts with an annoying 'lawnmower' high pitch sound.

Will probably also be annoying when that high pitch sound flies past you Smile. Generaly powerful machines have higher pitched sounds (go listen to F1 cars), if you prefer something that shouts 'slow', fair enough Razz.

What's your budget A?

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:28 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G, higher pitch I can deal with. But whine with no back bone is a no go... You can hear the power in a Blade, but all of these little things I have seen round and about sound like lawn mowers (no offence meant). I couldn't be doing with riding on something that looks like the K9's undercarriage, but sounds like a ped on steroids Laughing

Got the KH today, and despite an issue with the indicators (gonna search about and may have to post about that in the workshop later), it's all good. Ahhh, the delicate sound of thunder Exclamation It'll wake up the entire neighborhood when I come home Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:25 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hush wrote:
G, higher pitch I can deal with. But whine with no back bone is a no go... You can hear the power in a Blade, but all of these little things I have seen round and about sound like lawn mowers (no offence meant). I couldn't be doing with riding on something that looks like the K9's undercarriage, but sounds like a ped on steroids Laughing

0-60 in 6 seconds? Faster than most sports cars out there in a straight line at legal speeds? Probably faster on a tight and twisty track than most cars under £30k? Power to engine size ratio similar to many moto-gp bikes, not much less than a F1 car?
Yea, obviously no go, wouldn't want one of those Smile.

My whole point was you /do/ get the go with the whine as such.

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:24 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no denying that they can move, I'm just very concious of the sound they make. Sends a cold chill down my back... Nope, I'll leave the power house sports bikes till I'm through the license and can jump on an R1 (or if I can find one in really good condition, I have a soft spot for the ZZR1100...) Very Happy

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite funny reading the posts about 125's like the KH and the SR having a deep rumble compared to the two strokes.

Sorry I don't mean to sound demeaning but when you've been riding larger capacity bikes for a while you forget the excitement, feeling of speed and noise that your first bikes make.

I remember raving on about the sound that my AF125 used to make coming off the throttle and my dad commenting about a bee in a tin can!

On a couple of occasions when we've had both bikes on the drive I've tried to start my wifes NSR for her and realized it was already running!

Then I suppose it's whatever floats your boat really, I have always been a sports bike fanatic. So it was two stroke 125's for me, lots of expensive two stroke oil and the sound of a solitary bee in a Coke can.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1