Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOT question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
 Topic moved: from Forum Feedback & Help to General Bike Chat by Korn (9 Apr 2004 - 21:21)
View previous topic : View next topic  

octapusfoot
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:11 - 09 Apr 2004    Post subject: MOT question Reply with quote

I have just bought an RGV250 and got it at a really good price as it has no MOT. It's running on race tyres at the moment so I obviously need to replace these. I'm a bit concerned about the rear brake disk though, it looks rusty in the middle and along the edge. Where the pads run is clean and it didn't feel warped when I rode it home and it doesn't feel ridged. Also, the front wheel makes a noise like there is a cable tie around the fork land it sounds like it's brushing against the disk. apparantly this is the break pads and once warm, it doesn't do it anymore. I think it's wheel bearings. What do you guys think? Finally, previous owner had a low speed scuff and broke right mirror off and fairing doesn't now attach to the bracket around the head light. I can get a replacement mirror but currently the fairing is cable tied onto this bracket. Will cable tied fairing pass MOT? God, my RGV sounds like a right shed, but believe me I got it for a good price and I think it's lovely!!! Would appreciate some advice as I'm dying to ride it but want to do it legally. Thanks Rolling Eyes

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 22:53 - 09 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to look at the rear brake and the wheel bearing but I can tell you now that I would fail the fairing being held on with cable ties.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 23:01 - 09 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev might fail fairings, but most places will pass it if it's 100% secure.

I had my old ZXR400 checked out for MOT with my old smashed fairings on, they were all held together with cable ties, I was only asking if it'd pass or not, not an actual MOT but they said it would be fine as the fairing was completely secure.

I replaced the fairings before the actual MOT tho so that didn't then matter, but my whole screen and mirror support was cable tied to the frame Laughing as I'd sheared the bolt the night before , it was 100% secure so they passed it.

I'd say your fairing is fine in my opinion as long as it's secure.

octapusfoot
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:01 - 10 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's absolutley secure, It's only held on in one place with a cable tie, where the missing mirror is. I made sure the fairing wouldn't move about as i can remember having an NS125 where the belly pan almost touched the front tyre, scary stuff!!
I just hope it passes as I'm dying to go out on it. I'll just have to put it through it's MOT and see I guess. Thanks for your help though.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:10 - 10 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, if there is no mirror on that side, then it'll fail.

You don't have to have mirrors, but if you don't have them they need to be correctly blanked off or something or other in order to pass.

As far as I'm aware if there are holes etc for the mirror then you need to have one.

I thought you just meant the fairing wasn't secure unless cable tied.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 11:50 - 10 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad's bike passed with no mirrors, it's a KTM Enduro, so it never had mirrors, but the place where the mirrors go wasn't blanked off or anything.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1