Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pass the F***ing Hammer! NOW!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diehard
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:02 - 05 Apr 2004    Post subject: Pass the F***ing Hammer! NOW! Reply with quote

Well another day gone and another day fiddling with the NSR. After giving up on changing the bearings myself, I started to get quotes for the work to be done for me, and low and behold, someone had an 1989 NSR complete engine, with only 9,000km on the clock. So I had to have it. Anyway, the engine is practically new and I was thinking all of my problems are over...Wrong. Got the engine back and found that instead of there being 3 yellow wires and 1 green from the generator (as there is on my old engine), there was 2 yellow and one green...Um...Ok so I tryed to change the generator coil, which I found was too big for for the new generator. So I Fitted the engine anyway and left a wire off (just to see). After long hours of this I went to start the bike, it sounded different, not as violent as before, but it was turning over. Anyway out of interest I switched on the lights, then nothing. I'm sure I saw a flash, so now I have no LEDs, no starter life, no nothing. Not even the power valve motor moving on the turning of the key. The main fuse looks fine. Any ideas, I'm hoping it ain't the CDI because I don't wanna spend more if I'm going to just sell it on. Also whats the best way to remove the generator??? Please help someone because I have really had it!!! Evil or Very Mad (I nod to keith) Wink

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 06 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough luck mate. You really ain't having a good time with that are you? If you got a flash then I say that something had blown, maybe it is the CDI as they are quite weak and can't handle much of a charge if they are wired incorrectly or if they receive a surge. I can't really help you without seeing the bike for myself but I can suggest that you smell all of the components for that specific electrical burnt smell. Then at least you will know what the problem part is. Thumbs Up

Or you can sell the bike to me for £5 and I will collect it. Razz

Diehard
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:02 - 06 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

£5...Well...No I shall resist! I will get it fixed. But after going through the manual I think the CDI has gone! Sad But I wouldn't have thought it would shut all electrics off (neutral light, servo-motor etc). Gonna see if I can get one today. But at the mo I really need a rotor puller, so I can exchange the flywheels and at least have a matching electrical harness! Oh I really am having fun Shocked .

Diehard
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:04 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! The CDI wasn't blown...I had pulled out the ignition switch wires unknowingly Embarassed ! Anyway got it all going today (touch wood). The new engine is a f***ing beast!!! Twisted Evil It goes along all nice then... The front end starts to raise and the thing shoots off, your in 5th gear before you know it (I never got to use fifth on my old engine). It will easily red-line in 6th if you ain't careful. It will take some getting used to but hell, if I don't die I'll have fun. It's only done 9,000km. Oh by the way, are the Italian imported NSRs faster in any way? This engine is actually off the unfaired NSR125F 1990, not RK like mine (hench I had to change the flywheel and gen). I got it off an Italian mechanic that brought it over from Italy with him. Just a thought because as I said it flys (and I'm 18 stone too)!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:19 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from my NSR125F engine, it is downgeared compared to the R models (presuming you are using the sprocket that was on it). Whether it makes the same or less power than a faired one is another matter.

Diehard
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:30 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my old sprokets from the other engine, I can't remember the number of teeth on them. But for an engine that looks identical, it is 110% different, alot more violent, thus, alot more fun Twisted Evil (you can tell I'm chuffed). By the way, good to hear your self (G), ste/alex are doing good (bet you've heard that way too much recently). Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:55 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is this an NS125 or an NSR125?

If it is an NS125 then UK models were a pig to derestrict (basically almost impossible to do the job properly). An imported engine would have the full power valve system.

If it is an NSR125 from the early 1990's then only a UK model would be restricted. Any from any other market would be full power.

All the best

Keith

Diehard
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:46 - 12 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is an NSR125R, and the new engine was from an NSR125F, almost identical, appart from the wiring. I was sure my original engine was fully deresricted, but still lacked power, this engine is like riding something twice as powerfull! I don't know if there is any internal restriction (in the crankcase I mean).

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:37 - 12 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The only difference I know of is that the F model has a lower power alternator.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1