First Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Inglesina94
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:53 - 09 Apr 2004    Post subject: First Bike Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new to biking and a bit confused. I have read thru' the past posting but still ... not sure what is best. I am taking the practice test shortly and have started thinking about buying something. I will be restricted to the 33bh limitation ... so what is best?

I'm about 5.5 so not too tall and also not too strong ... so nothing too big and heavy.

Was thinking about an import bandit 400 but they start to be a bit too old now, also would I need to restrict it? (not sure about the power) How about Honda CB400?? Any comments? Will it need restricting? Any other bike is suggested? Not too sporty and not trials.

Thanks for any suggestions! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Inglesina94
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:48 - 09 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

29 yrs old (I know I have left it a bit late to get the licence but better late than never)

I am doing the normal test, not DSA, hence I will have to drive a limited bike for the first two years.

Wanted something a bit bigger than 125cc Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

awj72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:42 - 10 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
29 yrs old (I know I have left it a bit late to get the licence but better late than never)

29, try 32 mate, like you say., better late than never i say.

grem543
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 10 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhhhh people my age Smile
passed me cbt a year ago, just chucked the scooter & picked up an nsr.
the only bad thing is that the scooter had lots of storage space, and i cant carry my rain cover on the nsr(used to park anywhere & not get a ticket). Sad

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:52 - 10 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my two pence worth;
Sod the A1 test and do a direct access. If you don't you'll regret it. 33bhp is not enough to pull the skin off of a rice pudding.

Personally I would do my DAS, buy a CB1 400 or a CB400 super four and be happy. They both make around 60bhp, the CB-1 is older and cheaper (and more than likely a lot rubbishier!) but the CB400 is heavier.

The bandit is nice and makes the same sort of power but they are a pain to get parts for and there have been some bandit 400 horror stories on here.

Honestly, if you are over 21 then do a DAS and restrict yourself by your choice of bike, not by the arbitrary government limit. 60bhp is a nice amount of power, not too much so that you get yourself into trouble, but enough to be fun.

(Oh and BTW I am five foot five, and ride a 950cc Triumph Daytona! Wink

Other good bikes for shortarses include;

SPORTS

Honda
CBR400
VFR400 NC30
VFR400 NC24
VFR400 NC21

Suzuki
GSXR400

Kawasaki
ZXR400

Naked/Street bikes

Honda I have already mentioned

Kawasaki ZRX 400

erm, thats all I can think of at the moment.

Oh and welcome to the forum!! Smile

Inglesina94
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:26 - 10 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though about doing Direct Access but felt that probably using a "smaller" bike for some time would have been good practice and now i have booked the test!!

Will any of the 400 sustain the necessary restriction to being legal? Or will I end up with something not suitable at all and should I be looking at something smaller??

Also as I understand the restriction can be removed ... Wink

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 19:44 - 10 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all 400's will need restricting. I think that all of the 400's on the list above will need restricting to be 33bhp.

The only modern exception I can think of is the Honda Bros.

Inglesina94
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:49 - 10 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I just need the reassurance from experts that the wieght/power ratio (being half of the intended one) will still be reasonable for the bike.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:57 - 10 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thats what I said! If you are gonna get a restricted license and take out the restrictors anyway why the f**k do you want to do a 33bhp license? especially as you are over 21.

You do realise if you are caught with a bike over 33bhp within those two years you will be done for riding without a license and insurance?

Cancel your test and book a DAS. otherwise you'll be riding shockingly slow bikes, or illegally.

Capisce?

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:54 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

250cc four strokes will make roughly 30-40bhp

400cc four strokes will make 40-60bhp

F1 (or FI?!) international know restrictor info, but don't take their word for everything!

If you don't feel comfortable with the thought of having more than 33bhp, stick with the normal test, but if you have any desire to go over 80mph easily go for the das.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:03 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would say go for the DAS test as well. The extra cost of the test is going to be less than the cost of restricting a bike to 33hp (general cost seems to be around £200, while a DAS course is only around £100 extra).

Just about any bike can be restricted to 33hp, but they are going to feel slow. Top speed will be just over 100mph. Acceleration will feel quick compared to, say, a CG125 but will feel asthmatic compared to a full power version of the bike.

All the best

Keith

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 12 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have/had a bandit 400. Only ever riden it full power but it is pleasant enough. It's got about the right amount of power for someone learning but is a little heavy. It is quite a small bike so the you don't usually notice the weight but when you do it can be quite heavy. Some people say the a b4 is top heavy but I didn't find that a problem. Admitadly I'm a little taller so the situation is a little different though.

I agree with above. Do DAS even if you are planning to stick to smaller capacity bikes for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 22:11 - 12 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikes which make less than 33bhp as standard, do your direct access, how many desirable bikes are in the following list..
Confused

Honda
Rebel 250
GB250
Steed 400
CB400 (old one)
FT500
XL500S
XL500R
BROS400
GB400TT
NV400C
VRX400
MAGNA250
CB250RS
CB250NH
XLR250
XLR250Degree
XR250

Kawasaki
KE175-D
Z200-A
Estrella 250
KL250-C
Z250-A
Z250-B
Z250-C
EL250-D/F
KL250 D7
KLX250-G

Suzuki
Goose 350
DR350S
Intruder 400
DR250S
Desperado 400
DR400S
SP400
SP370
GS250T
GSX250E
GT200
GT250E
LS650F
SB200
LS400Savage
LS400Tempter
SX200
VS400
TS185ER
TS250ER
GN250
DR350SE
LS650P

Yamaha
DT175MX
RD200DX
RS200
SRV250
XS250SE
XS250
XT250
SRX250
Drag Star 400
SRX400
SR500
SR250
XV250
XT350
SDR200
TT250
Serow 225
SR400
SR500
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Inglesina94
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:38 - 12 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your advice ... very much appreciated!! 'Thumbs Up'

I know that you have all suggested the DAS thought I guess I just want something to tour about so I think I will stick to the normal test and take it slowly to start with.

In the meantime I'll look at your suggestions as I actually know very little about bikes ... 'Embarassed' and in the meantime I concentrate on passing the test ... just over a month away 'Confused'

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:34 - 13 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inglesina94 wrote:
I know that you have all suggested the DAS thought I guess I just want something to tour about so I think I will stick to the normal test and take it slowly to start with.

Financially it would be cheaper to do DAS and buy a bike of a little over 33hp. There are plenty of non sports bikes available in the 40hp~60hp range, which would be good touring bikes while you gain more experience.

All the best

Keith

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:05 - 13 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few people on here have done the same thing you've done. I think pretty much everyone of them has regretted it.
As far as I know the actual test is pretty much exactly the same, so there shouldn't be any problems there.
It doesn't mean you /have/ to ride a bigger bike, but if you just want something to 'tour about' on then you may find that the smaller bikes aint so great; you have to thrash them a bit more to get up to normal traffic speeds, while you can be more relaxed on some bigger bikes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1