Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NS125RK Question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: NS125RK Question Reply with quote

Alright, well i'm pretty sure this has been asked many times before but just need to make sure.
Here goes nothing Razz
righty, my NS125RK seems to stop rpm's at around 9000 then the power seems to die down.
It has a Micron pipe and i'm not sure if thats just the powerband of the exhaust or a restriction within the carb/throttle.
Top end i get to about 85mph.
If anyone else has had this problem and knows a solution, i will be mucho grateful Very Happy
cheers all Thumbs Up

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 14:27 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my NS125RK seems to stop rpm's at around 9000 then the power seems to die down

Is that in every gear or just top? As at 85mph you could well be at the top speed of the bike (depending on your weight, gearing, condition of the rings etc).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jimbo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:32 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, i had an ns125r, 1990, and it would do 95 flat out, but not into a head-wind...
85 is ok-ish considering the year and the fact that it doesn't have a powervalve.(unless you have the fancy Alcast nsr125 rf or rk or something,my brother had one of those)
If the micron pipe was made for an nsr125, it is likely that the power band will be well screwed up. The power profile is very different for these bikes.
If you drop the number of teeth on the back sprocket by 4 or 5, or increase the front sprocket by 1 or 2, you might get a higher top speed. At the expense of low-down power of course.

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:34 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NSR125R was like that before derestriction. Revs wouldn't go much higher 9.5K and had an indicated top speed of 85.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 14:36 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an ns125 r as well and top end was about 90-95 (again no head wind etc), but when I changed the sprocket size 85 was about the top of it.

Also had a micron pipe on mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 14:37 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash it for fun wrote:
My NSR125R was like that before derestriction. Revs wouldn't go much higher 9.5K and had an indicated top speed of 85.

The NSR is a different beast to the NS really.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i can assume that its the top speed of the bike.
I don't have a problem with 85mph, its more than enough, just wanted to find out why it stops at around 9500rpm.
No worries, besides, i am a big lad .. 6'3" lol
cheers Thumbs Up

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
I had an ns125 r as well and top end was about 90-95 (again no head wind etc), but when I changed the sprocket size 85 was about the top of it.

Also had a micron pipe on mine.

was that a completely stock bike or with the micron on it?
if it was with the micron, was it a restriction within the carb?
i'm thinking my air filter may be restricted

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 20:00 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah was with the micron on, as for a carb restriction. I never found one on the NS.

The air box is heavily restrictive (not restricted), but thats the way they are.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll give a K&N filter a go, wont hurt to try Very Happy

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 20:46 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you adjust the mixture to suit, otherwise you run a serious risk of running lean and seizing the engine.

Valentino Mossy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
As long as you adjust the mixture to suit, otherwise you run a serious risk of running lean and seizing the engine.

Rolling Eyes Call me stupid ,but how do you know if the bike is running too lean or too rich ? Rolling Eyes

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol are you serious?
anyway, you check the spark plug
black = too rich
light brown = lean
darkish brown (but not black) = perfect

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:09 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The older Honda 2 squeak engines with the old style ATAC power valve (which in UK restricted models was just an open chamber) tended to die off around 9000~10000rpm.

With my old MBX we did manage to get it to rev out nicely by using an Autolite kart racing plug with an odd electrode. Fouled up badly round town and then the cdi unit died a week later Rolling Eyes .

All the best

Keith

Valentino Mossy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS-Keith wrote:
lol are you serious?
anyway, you check the spark plug
black = too rich
light brown = lean
darkish brown (but not black) = perfect

Sorry mate about the dull question Rolling Eyes
But I was only told how to set the mixture to the base settings,but i didnt know that the only way of knowing it was too rich/lean was by the spark plug..."me thinks my brain has gone on holiday !" Laughing

needa400
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:53 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

try looking at the german site, www.nsr125.de
you'll probably have to translate unless you can read german, but it tells you there about an electronic restriction on some european made bikes. There is a post on here regarding this same problem.

Hope this helps
needa

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info guys, mucho appreciated Thumbs Up Smile
So i can assume that its got no restriction and its just down to the engine and size of rider lol
I have no problem with the top speed, just rather curious about why the rev's stopped at 9000ish.
I shall keep the Honda for a year then you never know, might get something a little bigger, or maybe an RS125.
Toodles..

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 20:10 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS-Keith wrote:

I have no problem with the top speed, just rather curious about why the rev's stopped at 9000ish.

Is that only in top gear?

needa400 wrote:
try looking at the german site, www.nsr125.de
you'll probably have to translate unless you can read german, but it tells you there about an electronic restriction on some european made bikes. There is a post on here regarding this same problem.

The NSR is a different bike to the NS.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, thats only in top gear.
wierd eh?
Nevermind, it'll keep me on the dual carrigeways no problem, means i get to college in about 5 minutes instead of 20 Razz

https://www.derbi-club.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=69555

Nice isnt she Very Happy

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 10:21 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a white one. Very Happy

Since its only happening in top gear I would say its just its running out of power mate. So nothing really to worry about.

Do you know when the rings where last changed?

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rings have quite a few miles on them according to the previous owner, but he said they were not long ago replaced.
The bike has all its power in the first 4 gears really, but thats 2t's for you. (especially those 15 years old lol)

explicit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:11 - 17 Apr 2004    Post subject: my honda ns125rk Reply with quote

you lot dont no that much about bikes coz ive been pulled by the bill doing over 100 mph on my honda ns125 rk but you lot just seem to do wot every 1 else does and just put a exhust on it mine has that and 2 power bands behide both 1st and 2nd gears and 1 in the engine try that to bump the speed up costs a bomb but its well worth it the looks when u are up a honda 500 for exceple is very funny.... ne 1 that dont belive me is welcome to test drive it ....

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:49 - 17 Apr 2004    Post subject: Re: my honda ns125rk Reply with quote

explicit wrote:
mine has that and 2 power bands behide both 1st and 2nd gears and 1 in the engine try that to bump the speed up costs a bomb but its well worth it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Where have you bought these power bands from Rolling Eyes .

All the best

Keith

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 18:00 - 17 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they made of rubber? Laughing
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:06 - 17 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and what colour are they?

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1