Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZXR400 speed limiter???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
 Topic moved: from Forum Feedback & Help to General Bike Chat by G (20 Mar 2004 - 11:00)
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to The Workshop by G (20 Mar 2004 - 11:00)
View previous topic : View next topic  

fredricko
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:56 - 20 Mar 2004    Post subject: ZXR400 speed limiter??? Reply with quote

Question
Hi all,
I own a ZXR400 H2(import). I am 6'2" and yes i do fit on quite comfortably. My problem is the speedo reaches 190km/h, easily in 5th and top gears, but then the bike seems to loose it's balls, is it just struggling to haul my fat carcass along any faster or is there some kind of speed limiter fitted?? I have spoken to a few mates one said "ZXRs where factory fitted with limters," and obviously others have just said "loose weight if you want to go faster, fatty," any ideas?? If it is a limiter do you have any clues on how to disable / by-pass it??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 12:08 - 20 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be right in saying that there is a speed limiter fitted to your bike, I have a ZXR400H as well. There are 2 ways to get rid of the limiter but the easiest way is to buy a Kmph to Mph converter. The limiter works by stopping the engine from going any faster when the speed reaches 190Kmh, if you buy the converter the speedo will never reach 190Kmh and so the limiter will never be activated. There is another way to do it but I can't remember how off the top of my head, something to do with a metal plate on the back of the speedo, I'm sure someone else on here will know how to do it.

fredricko
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:35 - 20 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mate, that is proper helpful. Any idea where i can purchase a km/h-mph converter??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 15:29 - 20 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bike shops should have them, if not look on places like M&P you should be able to order one off there, I need to get one myself.

needa400
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:30 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: zxr restriction Reply with quote

is your bike restricted to about 10000 rpm? this was done as standard, and you can buy a little box on ebay called a rev booster i think. it a black box with a little lead coming off it which plugs in behind forks/light. they about £30 i think. they are supposed to make a real difference.

hope this helps

needa400

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 00:46 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it actuallay restricts oyur speed and not your revs. As soon as my speed reaches just over 110mph the bike just stops accelerating, although sometimes for some reason my restrictor doesn't work and lets me go a bit faster.

needa400
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:46 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stab in the dark, as I know bugger all really, but is there a semi restriction on the bike, such as was it previously 33bhp, but only one of the carb washer things removed?

just a guess, but hey, yer never know!

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 18:14 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you not bothered reading up the page? The speed limiter is in the speedo and comes as standard fitted to japanese imports, I have said further up the page one of the things you can do to get rid of it now sit down and be quiet, thank you. Very Happy

fredricko
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:29 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Shaun said earlier it does limit speed and not revs, I know this 'cos I can rev the arse of it and it doesn't really start to come fully on song till around 10,000rpm, at which point it fu***ng flies. However now I have a new problem in trying to source some new down pipes which don't cost the earth, have seen some stainless ones for about £200 seems a bit steep though, any ideas??? Rolling Eyes

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 00:05 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the same problem with down pipes, I have had no luck finding any anywhere cheaper than about £200 although they are brand new which is a bonus but still a bit expensive.

Bod
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:36 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun mate, do you have a zxr400 too?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 01:19 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bod wrote:
Shaun mate, do you have a zxr400 too?

Laughing

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever heard of a place called KLS? My mate got the downpipes and arrow race can for £20, from a stolen recovered bike.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 17:39 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
I have a ZXR400H as well.

Rolling Eyes

Bod
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:02 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate. Was many moons ago I originally read the thread Mr. Green

fredricko
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:45 - 18 Apr 2004    Post subject: Probs sorted Reply with quote

Anyone interested, got a speedo converter from m&p in their april sale 10%off, i am no longer limited to 190kph, ha ha. Managed to find some down pipes in a local breakers payed £40, missed out on a full titanium race system from another local breakers, but the geeza wanted £350 minimum, C'est la vie. Cheers for all advise fellas.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1