BCF: Bike Chat Forums

God Dammit!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: God Dammit! Reply with quote

This was in todays paper, don't know if you all saw it but here it is anyway.

Cat's eyes that can clock your speed, read your number plate and check your tyres have been fitted on a scots motorway. The Government claim the high-tech spies won't be used to fine drivers( Liar yet.). But if the cat's eye cameras catch you speeding, they can send your car's number to an electronic road sign that will flash up for everyone to see. Drivers' groups admit the hidden camera system can prevent crashes by warning of hazards on the road. But one campaigner warned that it could be used to trap motorists in the future, and claimed police and councils "will do anything" to make money from fines. The "Intelligent road Stud" system is being tried out on the Westbound M8.

Thousand of drivers have already been filmed without their knowledge on a 1.8 mile stretch approaching junction six at Newhouse, Lanarkshire.( Shocked they'll have my number then Confused ) The five inch wide cat's eyes contain cameras which read number plates and record speeds up to 150 mph. (I might be alright then Wink ). They can even check to see if a car's tyres are bald Shocked . The cameras are connected to a computer which logs the number plate of any speeding vehicle. And the computer will be linked to a road sign that can flash up the car's speed and registration and warn it's driver to slow down ( that'll really get you to slow down Eh? ). The technology has been developed by English firm Astucia(the bastards). A spokesman said: "The system is not designed for enforcement. Liar It is designed for increased safety. "The road studs can be used to warn of a lower speed limit ahead.(wouldn't a sign be cheaper?).

don't like the sound of these things Thumbs Down

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 19:51 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only work on cars AFAIK, with them being forward facing and all \o/

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
They only work on cars AFAIK, with them being forward facing and all \o/

Here is a pic of one... they are in the road. I don't know whether you have to drive directly over them or not.

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:55 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least we bikers are alright.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 19:56 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they have to be able to see your plate, and you have to be able to see them, so they must be facing you?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:58 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't look very fun to ride over either.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
Well they have to be able to see your plate, and you have to be able to see them, so they must be facing you?

why do they have to be facing you? And why do you have to be able to see them?

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 20:01 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm..... Cuz they're cats eyes! They're primarily designed to tell you of the road conditions, changing colour depending on rain etc. Also they're supposed to tell you if there's an accident by flashing or something.
Oh, and tell you what lane you're in Very Happy

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
They don't look very fun to ride over either.

That's the first thing I thought. Though it says that they are only 5 inches across which isn't too big i suppose.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
Erm..... Cuz they're cats eyes! They're primarily designed to tell you of the road conditions, changing colour depending on rain etc. Also they're supposed to tell you if there's an accident by flashing or something.
Oh, and tell you what lane you're in Very Happy

I think your getting these confused with something else. They aren't "cat's eyes" as such It's just what they are calling them at the moment. I think what you are talking about is some kind of replacement for existing cats eyes, which I think I've heard something about. Though I may be wrong. Thumbs Up

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 20:05 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why do they have to be facing you?

Why do cats eyes have to face you?

Why do you think!

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 20:07 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are indeed a replacement for normal cats eyes. They've been using them in Australia for a little while now with pretty good success (reduced a few severe-weather accidents).

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
They are indeed a replacement for normal cats eyes. They've been using them in Australia for a little while now with pretty good success (reduced a few severe-weather accidents).

Fair comment. It doesn't suggest anything about them being replacements for cats eyes in the articles I've read. But I've no doubt your right Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:55 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Few more details:-

https://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513029

Doubt they have done any good in Aus. Hardly any "severe weather", but a police force who will do anything to dream up new ways of conning money from motorists. They are certainly not above making up some statistics to justufy the major part of their revenue that comes from speeding fines.

All the best

Keith

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 00:36 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
Quote:
why do they have to be facing you?

Why do cats eyes have to face you?

Why do you think!

Well, a section of the A46 to/from Bath has cats-eyes that somehow illuminate when you've already gone past them (i.e. you look in your rear-view/side mirrors, and they're like bright beacons).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Scottish news this evening the fact that they could film you was hardly mentioned. All they focused on was that they were a safety device, they could change colour to warn of hazards ahed etc.....

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 00:53 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought cats eyes faced both ways? So for example on single carriageway roads they'd be illuminated by traffic coming in both directions Confused

cliff
Doctor Sicknote

PostPosted: 00:58 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm presuming they will only be on motorways. Do you think they would put them everywhere like regular cats eyes? Confused

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:24 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
I always thought cats eyes faced both ways? So for example on single carriageway roads they'd be illuminated by traffic coming in both directions Confused

They do, but the new cats eyes are actually illuminated from inside, not just reflections from headlights. There is a section between Shrewbury and Newport, and some more near The Wheel. You can actually turn your headlights off and still see the course of the road from the glowing cats eyes.

Few more bits on the cats eye cameras:-

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=14165141%26method=full%26siteid=89488%26headline=cat-s-spies-name_page.html

All the best

Keith

GFK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:51 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long it'll be before they all get decommissioned because its costing too much to maintain them due to irate motorists spray painting over the covers? Thumbs Up Very Happy

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 04:01 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absolute bullshit! We should put our foot down here and tell the government that if our safety comes at the cost of our personal liberties, then we don't give a F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad !
(aaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!)

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

syris
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:58 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to get the axes and hammers out again.

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about these the other day, i don't belive it, i mean seriously is our government trying to make a prank or something, is this some MP's joke that commoners don't get? or are they asking for a revolution, i guarantee these are gonna get ripped out of the road, and mailed back to parliament in small bite size chunks Twisted Evil .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 12:14 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This goverment is crazy I would not put anything past them anymore It is just another money making scheme that this country seem to love more and more

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just you wait til we all have to put number plates on the front of our bikes. And I do miss Middle Finger ing at that forward facing Gatso (or whatever its called) nr Dartford! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2