Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Well, Obama took it.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:38 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Well, Obama took it..... Reply with quote

Well, it's 4am and they've called it for Obama - 295 Electoral Votes to 145, a pretty crushing defeat for McCain.

The first black president of the USA - whatever our thoughts on his politics, that's gotta have a positive effect on the black/ethnic population of America, surely?
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:41 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, he's mixed race, not black. His mam is as white as they come.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:18 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he's not exactly black, bit half arsed like Lewis Hamilton. Still, doesn't matter what colour he is, i'm sure he and his colleagues will revolutionise the US government Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:43 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

He considers himself black, it would seem - as do most of the black population.

How about the first not-white-man president of the USA, if you want to be picky?
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:08 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we've got a Scottish Prime minister, 300 years ago that would've been quite unpopular, doesn't make bugger all difference in reality though now, just like having a black (or half black) president doesn't.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:21 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

....which shows just how closely you have been paying attention - ie. not very.

Black/Hispanic feelings of disenfranchisement in the states are a world away from the situation we're in over here.

Now that 'one of their own' has proved that America is the kind of place where a black guy can become president, I think we'll see a bit more optimism from those communities - and thus hopefully a happier country overall.

Most of the Republicans that the BBC spoke to last night are predicting that Obama will be more left wing than he's currently admitted to being, now that he's won - I would've thought that'd please some of the Anti-Bush types around here.
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:57 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be interested (mildly) to see if there is any significant change when he gets into office. Only time will tell, and I don't think any affects will be seen for a couple of years.

Part of me is sorry that Bush is gone. Yes, he is a tool, but he was quite funny, even when he was not trying.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paddy Blake
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:11 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's the first band to release (Nigga in the whate house)as a song.It's got a ring to it. Smile
I was up for him to win so all good. Thumbs Up

Paddy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:40 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the conspiracists, delusionists and downright miserable say, this is a historic day for the US on a social level. It will also have a massive impact worldwide as those who live in countries less fortunate than our own, which are usually black communities may also get swept off their feet by the wave of Obama.

Say what you like about the American people, but this time they managed to put any racial feelings aside and voted for change. How much change will become apparent over the next few years.

I only wish we had such an election where there was a clear difference between the party leaders, they all use the same policies and tactics to win an election. I hardly feel we have any overwhelming choice when we go to the polls. Suffice to say the general election in 2010 will probably be as boring as they come.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paddy Blake
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:41 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to seem like an old man but we are looking at historic times right now with this and markets and all sorts of things.
Young lad came in yesterday evening and the first thing he said was how is Obama doing.But still many have no idea there is an election or recession. Shocked

Paddy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nufkamp
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:09 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is truly an historic day.
It's the first time ever I've been older than the President of the USA.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad


But anything's gotta be better than that twat GW.
____________________
As seen on Google Street View https://tinyurl.com/yfdvojc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AdamMurray
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 28 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:12 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/us_elections_2008/7710079.stm

Personally, I think this is the next best thing to happen to America. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

powelly
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:16 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually see this as a glimmer of hope is a world that seems to be heading down the pan.

Thumbs Up

Granted I doubt he'll be alive long enough to make a major difference but at least there is hope.

[Checks behind me for the secret service]

Cool Cool Cool
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Gilera Runner 50 > Suzuki SV650SY
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:34 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Nothing's changed over there. They still get have to get a coloured guy in to clean up the 8 years of shite left by the rich white folks.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:01 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was slightly irked when I turned on the news this morning to see hordes of black londoners going nutty about it, and saying in terrible grammar 'it proves I can do it'.

Er no. It proves that a /man/ (lets leave colour out) with the power to inspire can overcome petty prejudice.

My obvious and quite deflating point is that he is a half-caste so great, it is a good start, but the part they missed is he dressed well, talked well and generally acted like a normal person.

Me thinks if he'd gone up in dreads he may of had less of a chance.

But anyhew, I'm ecstatic. First day in recent memory I'm not under the shadow of that whorebeast child-president's idiocy.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things.

1) I'm completely and utterly bored and fed up with seeing this strewn all over the news, telly and every forum I come across!! I was bored with it when it started and I still don't give a sh!t now.


2) If only we had this kind of campaigning that went on for so long in the UK, maybe it'd drum up more interest and then maybe more than half of us might be arsed to turn up and vote! However, as was stated previously, it doesn't help that all the parties end up with the same ideas, they make a whole heap of promises and then break them all as soon as they're in power so none of them are remotely trustworthy anyway... Rolling Eyes
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
...Er no. It proves that a /man/ (lets leave colour out) with the power to inspire can overcome petty prejudice...

Errr, no.
The cynic inside me is saying it proves that a /man/ who can raise lots and lots of money and who has a great set of speech writers can overcome prejudice.

That said, I hope he lives up to expectations. Another 4 years of more of the same like McCain wasn't going to be a good thing.

I guess the secret service will have to up their game too.

Mind you, I've the West Wing to thank for my knowledge of American politics. I guess time will tell if Osama is anything like Bartlet!
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:32 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone in our forces, I wonder what it'll change for the Americans we often have to serve with abroad, ie, how quickly will they be withdrawing? Confused
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the two I'm glad he got it, but I worry a little that the main reason he was elected was because of his race.. and to be honest I don't think that's a good thing, at all.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Didge
Traffic Copper



Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:57 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember all the hoo-ha and happy frenzy when Nu-Labour got in? A fresh start and all that?
They turned out to be the most arrogant, petty, control-freak dirt-bags this country has had in my lifetime.
So, time will tell if Obama makes any difference.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Faldo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is change?

Are we looking for America to get to a perfect Utopian like existance ? Because let's face it, it isn't going to happen in my lifetime, if ever.

Obviously, there are current issues that need resolving such as the financial crisis, war in Iraq etc, but is it actually possible for man in office for a couple of terms to turn a country from a joke to a perfect society ? Are there any examples of this happening ?

Whatever Obama does, there are always going to be issues that need resolving, with critics in waiting.

Good luck to the man I say. Thumbs Up
____________________
Current: ZZR1400
Previous: ZXR 400 L9, ZX-7R P5, ZZR 400, ZX-7R P6, Bandit 600, GSXR 750 Slingshot, DRZ400, DR650, ZX10R C1H, ZXR 750 L1, ZXR 750 L3, '99 ZX7R P4, KTM 300 EXC, ZX-9R E1, TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Errr, no.
The cynic inside me is saying it proves that a /man/ who can raise lots and lots of money and who has a great set of speech writers can overcome prejudice.

That said, I hope he lives up to expectations. Another 4 years of more of the same like McCain wasn't going to be a good thing.

I guess the secret service will have to up their game too.

Mind you, I've the West Wing to thank for my knowledge of American politics. I guess time will tell if Osama is anything like Bartlet!


+1, I was going to say it proves he is somewhat an adept in the technique of Backhanding.

I think when you look at it, the majority of americans, and indeed the world, were more than displeased with Bush's actions, so why choose to continue this regime by electing McCain? Obama was the only real option if anything was to occur of any benefit.

I cant really decide my thoughts on the race issue. I can see why it might give hope to some americans, but on the other hand I figure race really shouldnt be much of an issue since, unless some presidents openly admit they are racist, then surely equality should already be commonplace across the land?

Well, in the meantime I'll just sit back and wait to see who he wants to nuke first.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how this one is going to fuck things up. Rolling Eyes
____________________
Go back to bed - You have no rights - "Streetfighters ~ Mainstream motorcycling's crackwhore sister."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly I am delighted to see people more or less share the same sense of cynicism and 'who cares' type attitude to Obama's election. I am pleased that the US put aside any bigotry and punished the Republicans for their global mis-management (as we must do to Labour in 2010!)

However we have to remember that Democrats are good for Americans, but not neccesarily good for the rest of the world. They like their 'protect American jobs' legislation. So the world trade talks which will have a direct effect on 'Obama's people' in the Southern States will proably come to nought when they resume next year. Also he is likely to rein in the US's involvement in world affairs - it was Clinton's (another Democrat) reluctance to act against Bin Laden in Sudan in 1999 that arguably led to 9/11. With Iran, Russia, China, and ever growing militancy in Pakistan, a 'dye in the wool' Democrat is arguably not the best option at this time.

I think once the euphoria dies down and he starts to exert his authority then we'll see how the world will be for the next 4 years...at this stage I'm filled with more trepidation then excitement.
____________________
Using a mobile phone while driving a car should be made a capital offence!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:08 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I say, my only source of excitement is the removal of Bush. When they kept Bush for a second term was pretty much when I began loathing all americans. He didn't just win by a small margin either... yet I defy you to find one person who admits to it.

Just like Labour. God if only we'd had Michael Howard Crying or Very sad Now we're stuck with Cameron (if we're lucky)
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.58 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 143.02 Kb