Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help with DIY pinlock kit!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Darth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Help with DIY pinlock kit! Reply with quote

My universal DIY pinlock kit came today and i am finding the instructions next to useless. Pretty sure that i have deciphered their meaning enough but before i go and take a drill to perfectly good visor and ruin it forever i was hoping someone who has done this themselves might be able to confirm my thinking is correct.

Pic 1.

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/darthpalmer/pinlock001.jpg

Visor prepared with centre line marked. happy enough with that bit! Smile

Pic 2.

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/darthpalmer/p2edit.jpg

Have highlighted the template lines with paint as it didnt come out too well. Basically a short vertical line to be positioned centrally, running up from a long horizontal line which instructions say should run "aligned with underside of rubber water seal" That would be the this bit highlighted in yellow i presume?

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/darthpalmer/pinlock001edit.jpg

Step 6 in the instructions and my personal favourite
"Where the " " is, place a small piece of masking tape under the template to ensure drill doesnt slip"

What the hell is " " ?

Basically all i want to ensure is that i have the correct orientation for my template and i drill in the bit here marked with an X?

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/darthpalmer/pinlock003edit.jpg

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:44 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

this should help pictures too !!
https://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-how-guides/114836-how-install-diy-pinlock-anti-fog-visor-insert-kit.html

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 22:25 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF is that supposed to do??? Confused

Darth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate but the kit i have is the universal one as opposed to a helmet specific one. His template looks fairly straightforward compared to this one i have Sad Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:31 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried putting the template in place and then putting the pinlock over the top if the holes line up hey presto ,

or just eye in where you think the pinlock should go then mark the hole drill it job done,

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
WTF is that supposed to do??? Confused

It goes inside your visor and stops it misting up, altogether, all the time. Definitaly worth it. Thumbs Up

Or I have just read your post completely wrong and made yet another fool of myself on bcf Laughing

Darth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i considered that strategy but since you apparently only have 15 mins after removing the backing from the template before it becomes useless and since i dont have any more money for the month and a new universal template would be £16.5o and a new visor would be £25 then just didn't fancy taking the gamble. Wish i had just bought a stick on one now Sad

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:45 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a hjc lid simular to your's the " lotus "
nice lid comftable and quite

The only niggle i have with them is the visor side clips
broke mine first time i replaced the visor after cleaning it

which reminds me i must order a new clip
any ideas where i might find one ??

Darth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant help you there i'm afraid mate. I have always found the visor clip system very good. I have a tinted visor too and am often switching back and forth.

As for the pinlock job - just used the force, dived right in and voila!

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/darthpalmer/pinlockfin.jpg

Awesome bit of kit. Have just spent the past 5 mins walking round the house with all the vents shut and no fogging whatsoever! Smile

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:12 - 20 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did mine about 3 weeks ago used the template but it still was slightly too loose (tiny gap) so I just repositioned the insert and made my own grooves (just not as deep) for the pins to clip into and voilà it works

So dont worry if you mess it up (by a small amount)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1