BCF: Bike Chat Forums

50cc bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: 50cc bikes Reply with quote

What is the best off/on road bike, 50cc, with gears that is fairly fast and more importantly is reliable and legal for a 16 year old taking my cbt. Other things are: The price second hand, running costs, insurance figures and the availability of parts and the customer service quality etc?
I have looked at Motorhispania Furia Cross, and the Aprilia RX50. What others are there,and what are the pros and cons!?Also, is it worthy of the famous nod?
Many thanks,
Pete

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 20:18 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha DT50 is a good, cheap off-road style bike. They're old, but cheap and cheerful. When you crash it it's not going to break into a million pieces and cost a bomb to repair, it'll bounce back up and be the same as ever.

The Suzuki TS50 is the same sort of thing as the DT50.

Mike owns/owned a TS50, I'm sure he could tell you more about that bike, top speed of around 50mph when derestricted I imagine, but if you want to be legal on it at 16, it must stay restricted to 30mph.

Second hand cost, you're looking at anywhere from £300 to £700 for a mint one.

Insurance on these - cheaper than newer tartier bikes.

Availability of parts for these? Easy, everywhere stocks parts.

Worthy of the "famous nod"? Yeah - I'd say so.

Last edited by carvell on 20:23 - 21 Apr 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derbi Senda, lovely bikes...
Excellent build quality, both structurally and mechanically.
Fast bikes with lots of tuning parts to keep you occupied.
Pick them up for around £1000 and insurance isn’t too bad but it all depends on where you live (i.e. crime/claim rate)
For pics, check mine out to get an idea...also has a race pipe for extra kick Wink
https://www.derbi-club.com/owners.php?uid=487

There are others such as the Rieju (I don’t like them at all) www.rieju.co.uk for pictures and bike specifications.

There is also the Peugeot XPS which is very nice indeed https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=Peugeot+XPS&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-img-t&cop=mss&tab=3 some pictures there.
Although Peugeot and Motor Hispania are the same company, the XPS has such a better design and build than the Furia Cross, looks like a more solid bike if you know what I mean.

If you like the Senda, you can have mine for £1000 as I’m selling that as soon as I get my Honda repaired, within the next month I believe Razz

DONT GET A TS50! my friend had one, you know they're only 3bhp? with a top speed of about 35mph derestricted? terrible bikes. STAY CLEAR! Thumbs Down Thumbs Down Thumbs Down

Last edited by Keith on 20:25 - 21 Apr 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 20:24 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to spend £1,000 on a 50cc bike at 16, you need your head testing, in my opinion. Smile

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

whys that? they go for around £2400 brand new.
would you rather get something 10 years old, totally unreliable or a new bike?
Besides, they have a good resale value as they are sought after

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth you waiting a year and getting a 125? Not much power in a 50 and their plain dangerous. Or do you need for work or something?
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Pete
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it worth you waiting a year and getting a 125? Not much power in a 50 and their plain dangerous. Or do you need for work or something?

It would probably be better waiting, but i'm just tired of having to rely on the parent taxi service to get aroung anywhere. Would give me more freedom than a push bike, and will let me visit people when I want. It would also let me become a day boy instead of boarding, which would mean that I can do more practising for riding trials!
Thanx a lot for all your help. still got two months to go though, so won't decide on anything definite for a long time yet.
Pete.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 22:32 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jammy-G wrote:
This go for all restricted 50's for 16 yeor olds? I didn't realise how crap they had to be !

Yup.

If you're 16 you're only allowed to ride a moped.

A moped is something with an engine capacity of no more than 49cc and that can go no faster than 30mph. If it was made before 1974 (something like that) it must have pedals.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't mean they have to go slow. My derbi done 55mph derestricted and just a little over that now i've got the power pipe but it gets there so much faster. It still has the restricted air filter on though, its very easy to get a Senda to 70mph just by switching to a Giannelli exhaust. don't have to believe me but its the damn truth. You can even spend about 200 on them and you'll have something which beats a lot of 125's (DT and stuff, not sports Razz )
Besides, it'll be your first year on insurance, getting through your first year of no claims is very important.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pete,

If you need a fifty, then get one, but don't spend too much on it because you'll sell in a year!

Set yourself a budget, say £4-500 for example, but I wouldn't waste time and cash trying to make it faster, it isn't really worth it.

Learn to ride it, get used to the roads, then bin it and get a 125 when your 17.

But for Christ's sake be careful, it won't have the power to get you out of trouble!

What ever you decide, good luck dude Thumbs Up

Pete
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 23 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers everbody. Flip, will probably keep it two years actually coz of getting a car at 17. will probably use it more for fun when I have four wheels. more fun on two wheels, but in the winter won't ride much. NS-keith. Thanx for the offer, but looking at them not too keen on them, and the price is a bit over my head unfortunatly. Looking to spend no more than £700 (if possible) coz of insurance over that.
Moving over to the idea of the aprilia RX50 now. like the looks and aprilias seem to have a good reputation. more market research still to do though.
Thanks again everbody!
Pete.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 23 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

RX50 is a very nice bike indeed
should be able to pick a good condition model up relatively cheap
they're more offroad orientated too so they'll hold their own on rough terrain.
Good choice bro Thumbs Up

Pete
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 28 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all the info and help, but after 6months of waiting and just over two months to go till my birthday, my @#/?£$ Middle Finger dad won't let me ride Evil or Very Mad ! he says i'm too immature and everythings too dangerous etc, and if I get a bike he will come over and smash it with a sledge hammer! Sick
will pay a visit to fights and flame wars in a moment.
@#$%£ Middle Finger fathers,as bad as techers(sometimes!)

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 29 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till your 18, you'll be in the position to have a half decent bike, you'll be an adult and you will be more mature.

Your dad will be happier, you'll have a bike and everybody wins. Be patient dude. One day it'll happen Thumbs Up

ps Parents can be like that. It's their job to worry.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1