Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance For A CBR600RR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

mthorburn
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 29 Apr 2004    Post subject: Insurance For A CBR600RR Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new here and don't have a bike yet.

I have just turned 21 and intend sitting the DAS to allow no restrictions etc.

Was wondering what i could expect to pay on a 2003 cbr600rr? Got a quote from some place for 3k!

Only want Third Party!

Can anyone advise?

Cheers
Mat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:30 - 29 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experience is now the main factor on insurance calculations, and then age.

Basically I reckon if you have just passed your DAS then a 600RR is too much for you. I also doubt that you'll get a quote much below £1500.

I would say look at a Fazer, Hornet or something like that to build up experience before you go for the razor sharp sports bike, after all you wouldn't buy a ferrari if you had passed your driving test yesterday would you? These bikes will easily be fast enough (If we're honest they are probably fats enough for most of us! Wink.

You won't learn much about riding on a bike that handles as sharply as a 600RR eithe in my opinion, because you need to have something that is forgiving and something that you can get closer to its limits so that you can feel what it is like to get near the limit.

If you buy a 600RR tomorrow, then I reckon you'll either ride it upright everywhere and it will scare you silly, or you'll go crazy on it and damage it or yourself.

Aim a bit lower at least for the first year. Trust me you won't regret it! Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 00:32 - 29 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try working your way through Vipers insurance list. Alternatively pass your details onto Danny, I am very sure he will get that quote down Laughing .
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=14395

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 00:36 - 29 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You on commission Stew? Very Happy

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 10:47 - 29 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your insurance premium mainly depends on how old you are and where you live (also depends on no claims bonus buy I assume you don't have any). You will be paying over a grand for third party fire and theft.

Click my sig for more insurance information. Smile

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 29 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use one of the companies like H&R who will let you use your car no claims if you have any.

Monkeymafiax
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:59 - 29 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to tell you not to get a big bike straight away (my first is my VFR750F!), but it's worth giving some thought to the financial aspect. Do you really want to spend a huge amount on insurance? You could choose a smaller/cheaper bike and use the money you save for a holiday/beer etc. Something like an ER5/CB500 or a VFR400 should still give you plently of enjoyment whilst allowing you to learn the basics and build up your no claims discount. [I was going to get an ER5, but for the same price and slightly higher insurance I got the VFR, which is much better for the longish trips I do occasionally].

When looking for insurance it's worth getting TPFT instead of plain third party only. There are plenty of online insurance services, so try these; Carol Nash don't do online quotes, but it's worth giving them a ring as well - they were cheapest for me, but only marginally.

Enjoy your ride!

MMx

mthorburn
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 29 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info/advice.

Done some phoning around a feel i should aim a bit lower.

What about a 400, honda, kawasaki or susuki? Quite like the loom of the vfr400? Any advice? Don't rally want to go any lower than a 400 cuz i've waited till i'm 21 to do the DAS.

Or anything else any one can suggest.

Cheers

fazed
Korn is my hero!

PostPosted: 06:35 - 30 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

a vfr 400 or a rvf (Honda!) , depends on your budget Smile Wicked bike to start out on (as a first sports) and plenty of fun , once you learn those twistys you will be laughing its also more forgiving than a cbr600rr Very Happy

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 09:18 - 30 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or buy a older cbr you can pick them up for about 700 pounds a jelly mould type.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 09:37 - 30 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mthorburn wrote:
What about a 400, honda, kawasaki or susuki?

A 400 is an ideal choice after passing your test because they are quick enough to keep you happy but are also very forgiving for when/if you make mistakes. I used to have an old model ZXR400, very fun bike but because of its age (1989 bike) and the fact its a kawasaki it was unreliable too, if your going for the ZXR400 spend more money and get an L model, as new as you can afford. Honda, you could get the VFR, RVF or the CBR, I haven't rode any of these but some people on this forum have so if you ask nicely I'm sure someone will tell you what they are like, the only thing I know about the CBR400 is that it comes in 3 different variations, the very early jelly mould model which looks a bit dated compared to the tri-arm and gull arm but I have no idea what the differences are between the tri-arm and the gull arm. The suzuki, the GSXR 400, I have never rode one of these either and haven't seen many of them around but I am told that they sound really nice with a sports can. What you should take into consideration is that top speed isn't everything, these bikes will all pul between 130 and 140 (indicated) but they will beat any of the bigger bikes through the corners because they are lighter and more flickable. Hope this helped. Very Happy

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 30 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also worth considering something like the Hornet, Fazer, SV. They are all nice bikes and plenty quick enough, they also have the added bonus of being official imports and can be had for a good price.

The standard CBR600 is a great bike too and there are loads around to choose from. The only downside of the CBR is that it's a sports bike so the insurance will be more.

The RR version is a great looking bike but it's still quite expensive on the second hand market. As a first bike it's probably a bit too focussed and "race bred", the handling is supposed to be sublime but the fuel consumption isn't great. There really won't be that much in it between the RR and the standard CBR in the real world where you won't be able to use it to it's full potential. The non RR version will be more practical and comfortable on a day to day basis and a bit more forgiving.

Give Tin a shout if you want to know more about the RR and no one can really tell you what to do, we can only offer advice. Penny Coin Penny Coin

I've got a nearly new 954 but it doesn't stop me thinking about trading it for the 1000RR! Shhh!

yariso
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:08 - 01 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have your heart set on a CBR, i'd say go for an older one. I passed my test in March and bought a '92 model. I got insurance TPFT for £395 from CIA and haven't looked back.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1