Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding dual carriage ways

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:13 - 28 Apr 2004    Post subject: Riding dual carriage ways Reply with quote

I've been riding for about five days now on my bike, a few outings and back and forward from work. I'm going to visit my folks this weekend, this will involve riding over the forth road bridge and a lot of dual carriage ways, I'm looking forward to going fast.

What should I look out for and is this too soon to attempt doing a longer journey?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 10:25 - 28 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be careful, and make sure you do a shoulder check before changing lanes (either moving out into the outside lane, or pulling back to the inside lane).
Try not to fixate on the car infront, look ahead and spot any thing they may need to brake for, as after all if they are going to slow down, it means your either going to want to overtake them or slow down as well.

apart from that I have no real advice, normal rules apply, think like no one has seen you, any junctions that come up watch to make sure anyone pulling out of them is aware your there and don't get too close to the vehicle in front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:30 - 28 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, it'll be great to get over fourty, been trapped in the city since I got the bike. Also i'll need to make sure I don't miss my exit as the dual carriage way turns into motorway on the other side of the forth road bridge!

lovely red ducati 998 just went past, one day...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 10:31 - 28 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you must live nearby to me. I've been over the forth road bridge a few times on the bike. One thing you really have to watch out for is the wind. If it says reduced speed limit, then go the reduced speed limit. Especially on a really light 125. As Hex said, shoulder checks before moving lane.

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:37 - 28 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup really light 125, except when i'm dropping it, hopefully don't end up in the forth. Go Go gadget wings.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:34 - 28 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As above, but when changing lanes on a 3 lane section watch out for people changing lane into the bit of road you are heading for (eg, you going from the left lane to the middle lane, while someone else is moving from the right lane to the middle lane).

Take it easy, maintain a decent gap to the vehicle in front.

Most important, keep left. The other lanes are for overtaking, and unless you are overtaking at that time then keep out of them.

All the best

Keith

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:56 - 28 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, if you're like me, and ride a 125 (me an NSR) and you're looking forward to riding fast, remember to still do all of your checks etc. and to focus on what your doing, if you're going to look at the speedo, don't glare at it thinking "yay, I going fast" because then you're not looking where you should be going, and will end up in the middle reservation, like I almost did when I got my NSR over 70, although it was dark, and my lights seem to be rubbish!

Craig G(Noggin)

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:07 - 29 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everybody else said, check before you change lanes but dont spend too long looking behind otherwise your likley to go into the back of a slower car.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 29 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some fairly serious milage on my CG125, 50mph was about all you'd get on an incline, downhill a little more....
If your planing long journeys consider going REALLY early in the morning like 4/5am that way its light(ish) and you will have allot less traffic to deal with/get over taken by, did this when i went up to leads festival and it was allot easyer (if damn cold).

As far as rideing, like said before observation will make all the difference! give your self plenty of time to stop keep back from whats in front (look in the highway code for braking distances and they can be alarming) also if your further back you can see ALLOT more of whats in front! NEVER change lanes too late if your going the wrong way its a sure way to get dead, if it means going 10 miles the wrong way don't matter,

Have a look in my sig for a site full of tips all VERY useful (if a bit long!)

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:01 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: Report back after Dual Carriage way riding Reply with quote

I had a great time at home, roads are so much emptier, much more intresting in the east neuk of Fife. Riding on the daul carriage way was fine, though did have remind myself to stop looking at the speedo, "Wahey im going now" moments. The most dodgy bits have been in Edinburgh, really need to work on my slow control.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 13:20 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Most important, keep left. The other lanes are for overtaking, and unless you are overtaking at that time then keep out of them.

Note that if you are a small woman that can't see over the wheel in a brown metro, this rule doesn't apply. Rolling Eyes

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 14:13 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: Re: Riding dual carriage ways Reply with quote

atom wrote:
I'm going to visit my folks this weekend, this will involve riding over the forth road bridge.

I went for a ride on saturday over the bridge. It was full of road works and ended up filtering by a queue of cars the whole length of the bridge. Wasn't much fun. However the road on the north side of the forth between the forth road bridge and the kincardine bridge is brilliant for going fast on. No speed traps or anything. Just a nice wide road for miles. That's where I used to try and see how fast I could get my NSR to go as there was loads of room there. It's a nice clean road too with no holes or bumps. Give it a try and try not to stare too much at the speedo! Thumbs Up Smile

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:41 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travelled over at ten on Friday night, so the roads going were pretty clear, came back today so again pretty clear roads. The best riding was in the East Neuk in Fife, brilliant roads, really bendy, kept my speed down though, some of them looked pretty murderous, and they were full of people going to the thrash at Crail Airfield on Sunday.

mazza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 04 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing lanes! can be a bit scary at first. When I first went on a dual carriage way on a bike during a lesson, I thought that it was madness to go at that speed (50mph). I've got used to it now though and the biggest factor in developing your confidence is (as someone already mentioned) is to try and predict the pattern of behaviour of the traffic.

If you're in the slow lane (which is where I'm normally riding a cruiser), just watch your speed and distance from the vehicle in front. If overtaking, and staying there, watchout for people ahead about to overtake. They may not have seen you!! Surprised

Anyway, practice on slow speed, right life savers will become second nature very quickly. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1