Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Done a search to no avail.. Centre-stand & test.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Done a search to no avail.. Centre-stand & test. Reply with quote

As i'll be going for my test in the next month or two and i already have a 125 i was thinking it would be best if i used my bike for the test for a few reasons:

I'll be more confident on it as i'll be used to it and how it handles/power etc..

And it'll be cheaper for lessons etc.. i.e. no bike hire.

Only thing is my bike doesn't have a centre stand. Do i need to have one for the test itself? i presume i do, in which case i'll need to hire a bike and if that's the case i might just sell mine on to pay for the test or get a bigger bike.

Dup
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on the CBT they show you both stands. CG125's have a side stand not centre. In fact its only really old bikes and scoots that have centre stands so i say you'll be fine. Ring them and check!

You'll be fine on your own bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 18:50 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhhh, course you don't!

My bike doesn't have a centre stand, passed fine. If it is 125cc and does 100km/h then it's fine.

What makes you think you'd need a centre stand?

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What makes you think you'd need a centre stand?

It's just that there was a lot of ephasise on the centre-stand whilst doing my CBT, and i vaguely remember the instructor saying something about it in the test.

I though it may have been one of the procedures you had to go through for the test, that's why i was unsure.

Well, that makes life easier then!

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:26 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to use the center stand in the test, use the side stand if your told to get off the bike and put it on it's stand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Valentino Mossy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my "ahem" failed test i used a cb125 with a center stand which i frigging hated/loathed as to take the stand off you have to get off the bike.

I'm thinking of doing the retest on my ns125r which has a side stand,do i have to get off the bike to take off the stand for the examiner or can i jump on as normal and flick the little bugger ?
And are the examiners happy with people kick starting their bikes when the (side) stand is down ?

{Sorry this is just me worrying again ! Rolling Eyes }

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you'd need to retract the stand first?

and for kickstarting i would presume that'd be wrong because it digs into the ground when you kick it...

i would also like to know the proper procedure for this! good question.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike I done my test on had both stands and I'm sure I just used the side stand, which I kicked out whilst sitting on the bike.

billy whizz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:24 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i am an instructor so listen up! if your bike only has a side stand then he wont expect the centre stand!! he's not stupid! it's not the stand you use but the way you use it, i.e if you put it on it's stand and it is not stable or safe it will go against you but it is only a minor point and you can have 15 of them! however if it falls over consider yourself a learner still Laughing

Valentino Mossy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

billy whizz wrote:
ok i am an instructor so listen up! if your bike only has a side stand then he wont expect the centre stand!! he's not stupid! it's not the stand you use but the way you use it, i.e if you put it on it's stand and it is not stable or safe it will go against you but it is only a minor point and you can have 15 of them! however if it falls over consider yourself a learner still Laughing

Good, but what is the "correct" way of using/starting/getting on a bike with a side stand ?

I know i was taught to put the Center stand down , get on and kick start etc.. , But i dont know the correct procceder (sp) for side stand, as my CBT did'nt mention side stands.

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is only a minor point and you can have 15 of them!

i'm sure i got 8 minor points and definitely no major ones on my test!.. i didn't do anything silly, just too hesitant, stopping at give ways when i didn't have to etc.

Should i have failed?!

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 22:59 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You _did_ get either a major or 15 minors - look at your mark sheet.

If you got 8 minors with no majors, you wouldn't have failed. The examiner wouldn't have made a mistake like that.

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i can honestly say i don't remember any majors. All he said was "you've got 8 minors which is a little too many for a bike test"

I don't have my mark sheet, in fact, i don't think i got one at all.

Doesn't matter, better luck next time! Razz

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:40 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think you can only have 3 of any one minor.

Personally I would not kick start a bike on the centre stand. Quick way to wreck the centre stand.

All the best

Keith

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Think you can only have 3 of any one minor.

That's more than likely the reason then! Wink

Dup
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:19 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike test is basically being confident and skilled all round in all areas. If one area of your riding is crap you've already failed!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:17 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dup wrote:
its only really old bikes and scoots that have centre stands

Not so. Many modern bikes have centre stands, including my CBR6. Bloody useful they are too.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 15:03 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Bloody useful they are too.

Yep saves on the need of a paddock stand and makes oiling your chain nice and easy to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 357 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1