Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Helmet question..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 13:27 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Helmet question.. Reply with quote

Whats a good price to pay for a helmet? i saw this

https://www.busters-online.co.uk/Busters.htm

And love the look of the Luna project Solid (the 99 quid one)

is that okay for a helmet on a 125?

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:57 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good helmet is one that fits you properly. It is ESSENTIAL that you try it on - don't just randomly order one online that you like the look of.

As they get more expensive, you start paying for lightness, noise protection, and so on, but a cheap well-fitting helmet is far better than an expensive badly-fitting one.

A helmet you wear on a 125 is no different to a helmet you wear on a busa. You're still going to hit the ground with more force than the human skull was ever designed to absorb.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 14:42 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

helmets used to be either class A or class B, most of them now have come into European standards, of which there seems to be only one degree

however, ACU approval (A gold sticker on the back of helmet) will indicate that the helmet meets standards deemed good enough to wear the helmet for racing

which is obviously a good thing to go for, as for price, you can get ACU Gold approved helmets for as little as 70-80 quid may be less, going right up to 500+

everyone tends to have a brand loyalty, but get yourself down a shop and try on as many as you can, and make sure you get advice from a sales guy if you dunno what you are feeling for
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go out and find a shop with a decent range/different brands and try a good few on. Find one that fits for the right price then walk out and order it off the web for a lot less. Thumbs Up

Dup
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i find ordering off the web a little unsafe. Apart from the fact you need to try it on, i ordered a helmet 2 years ago, forgot from where, and it had hardy no protection from knocks and bangs.

I sent it back, went a to a local shop and got the same lid for £40 cheaper.

A hundred quid lid is about what you want. But you need to try them on. Not all lids are the same. My heads a medium in my shark, and a small in a Nitro. Strange i know. But my head won't fit in a small Shark (lid Rolling Eyes ) at all.

Heres my lid. Shark S500 Spacer, Gold sticker (so approved for the track). About 100 notes with pop off visor for cleaning or replacement. Very comfy too i think, not much noise gets through either. The vents at the top work nicely.

https://www.duperouzel.co.uk/misc/helmet.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dup wrote:
Personally i find ordering off the web a little unsafe. Apart from the fact you need to try it on, i ordered a helmet 2 years ago, forgot from where, and it had hardy no protection from knocks and bangs.

I sent it back, went a to a local shop and got the same lid for £40 cheaper.

That's why I said . . .

Quote:
Find one that fits for the right price

Obviously you need to use a bit of common sense and find a decent shop, like www.customlids.co.uk or www.cissburyleathers.co.uk these shops do a lot of business over the web. Most helmets are delivered to the shops in the same way they are delivered to your door anyway, you just don't get to see it.

You can't really tell someone how much to spend on a lid either, some brands may not fit a certain head type at all and others will. Unfortunately you can have a price in mind and have to spend more or less than you expected. At the end of the day a helmet has to pass ECE2205 for use in this country, so a £40 helmet may well be more suitable for someone compared to a £100 lid or even £200. The general difference as Bendy pointed out, is the quality of fixtures and fittings so to speak. Get the best fit, it's your head at the end of the day.

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a shark S500 sat in the bottom of my wardrobe and I thought it was bloody noisy! I had an AGV V - Flyer a few months ago, which did and excelent job of protecting my head when I crashed Very Happy I now have an AGV GP - Pro which is even nicer and is very quiet for a lid with vents as they can all be shut properly.
As everyone else has said, dont buy one online as you cant try it on, you need be sure it fits well and is comfortable. I find that sharks and AGV's fit me best after trying a lot of others on. Shoei's are very very nice as well and are so comfy, just a bit more money than i was prepared to spend.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:39 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the acu regs

It's difficult to see many helmets failing that, perhaps some cheap manufacturers just don't apply for it, or don't apply for it for their bottom-of-the-range lids to tempt you to buy a more expensive one
but as everyone always says, fit is everything. a 100 quid lid that fits perfectly is much better than a 400 quid arai or shoei that doesn't
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the ACU grading is all well and good, but not everyone uses their helmets for trackdays/racing. I would imagine that an ACU sticker would add a premium to the helmet. It's got to cost the manufacturer to put it through the test and they can then also add extra to the price for the claim of ACU approval.

I would say that he most important part in the ECE2205 stamp saying that it's passed for the UK.

Other costs come down to the individual manufacturer, materials, weight, design, shell size, etc.

Saying that, I've got an Arai RX7 because I'm a tart. Wink

I would be interested to hear TC's take on this though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1