Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Four Stroke Questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

R-C-M
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Four Stroke Questions Reply with quote

Hi

At the moment, I'm in the market for a bike for commuting/fun.

I'm looking on the basis of:

Reliability (I'm happy to service and give it all the love it needs, but i don't need it seizing up on me on a regular basis, so im leaving two strokes well alone)

Power (Something that can manage 100mph with a 33bhp restrictor on. I'll be doing a fair bit of motorway riding)

Insurance & Initial cost (I'm 17, so its going to be an arse to insure, I'm not willing to pay out more than £600 a year for third party insurance, and I'd be reluctant to pay out much more than 2 grand for a used bike if its going to be restricted to 33Bhp)

Fun (I'll probably end up doing a fair bit of pleasure riding, so i don't want anything scootery/CG125ish)

Looks & Size (I'm 6'1 and fairly wide, so i don't want anything stupidly small. Modern sportsbike looks would also be ace)

Based on all of this, and other posts in this forum, a Restricted L-series ZXR400 is at the top of my list.

Is this a good bet? Has anyone got any other recommendations?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fazed
Korn is my hero!

PostPosted: 07:57 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top end will be about 93mph with the 33bhp restrictors . ( correct me if i'm wrong) , have a look at the nc30 etc , great first sports bike etc and I know of a few tall people who ride them with no problems . Hope this helps Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:10 - 02 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

2 strokes do not seize up all the time, so don't worry about that. If they are seizing up all the time then they are either being abused badly or have a serious problem elsewhere.

For what you have described the ZXR might well be good. However for commuting use you might find the riding position a bit radical. Also go and have a look at a GPZ500S. Not as sporting, but when restricted it is not going to be slower. Should be cheaper to buy, insure and run.

All the best

Keith

R-C-M
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:30 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazed wrote:
The top end will be about 93mph with the 33bhp restrictors . ( correct me if i'm wrong)

I've heard a range of figures, normally about 102mph, & ive heard of resticted bikes of a similar weight doing 110.

Kickstart wrote:
Also go and have a look at a GPZ500S. Not as sporting, but when restricted it is not going to be slower. Should be cheaper to buy, insure and run.

Yeah, the GPZ500Z is a nice bike, but with the bigger capacity, and since its only been around a few years, i wouldve thought it'd be more expensive insurance-wise.

Another thing i forgot to mention, I might be doing a fair bit of riding around London, so a even gear ratio would go down well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something like the Honda CB500? Supposed to be a fun bike to ride and will go on forever.

If you want something a bit sportier, Kawasaki ZZR600 or Yamaha Thundercat. There will be more ZZR's around for £2k though, I've seen a few Thundercats but not too many for that money. Obviously you will be looking at more for insurance over something like a CB500 or GPZ though, but you could always give Danny's insurance service a try.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:53 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

R-C-M wrote:
Yeah, the GPZ500Z is a nice bike, but with the bigger capacity, and since its only been around a few years, i wouldve thought it'd be more expensive insurance-wise.

You wold probably be surprised. The ZXR is a sports bike while the GPZ a commuter. That makes you a bigger risk on the ZXR. As well as that there is more expensive plastic to damage on a ZXR which the insurance companies will take into account. Its probably a safe bet that the ZXR is stolen more as well.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:11 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

R-C-M wrote:
I've heard a range of figures, normally about 102mph, & ive heard of resticted bikes of a similar weight doing 110.

Probably the realistic top speed of a restricted bike will be up to around 110mph, depending on the bike (ie, aerodynamics). Speedo readings may be somewhat higher!

R-C-M wrote:

The GPZ500 has been around since about 1986/87, longer than the ZXR400, with the 500's last make over being in about 1994. The ZXR is insurance group 12, the GPZ only insurance group 9. Also the GPZ is a cheaper bike (2002 issue of Bike magazine in my draw lists the official new prices then, and the GPZ500 was around 25% cheaper). Realistically that is going to make the GPZ insurance far cheaper.

All the best

Keith

R-C-M
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 08 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
How about something like the Honda CB500? Supposed to be a fun bike to ride and will go on forever.

If you want something a bit sportier, Kawasaki ZZR600 or Yamaha Thundercat. .

Hmmm, I don't mind naked bikes, but i really need weather protection for commuting, so that rules the CB out.

The Thundercat is way way way out of my insurance price range, but the ZZR400/600 seems like a good option.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 357 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1