BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Medical Research....one for danny i've been told :P

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:04 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covance, in Leeds, are asking for males 25-65 who smoke 15 plus branded cigs a day to come forward and try a new type of fag which is meant to be healthier! No stays in are required, just six out patient visits on a Saturday morning for six weeks. It's either £1030 or £2330! Paid for smoking!

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:29 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazed wrote:
Hmm I had a quick look on Google and found www.biotrax.co.uk , it has a list of research things in your area. One that looks a bit worrying is 'Anti-Scarring - Rapid wound healing - Testing the effectiveness of NEW medications to prevent and accelerate wound healing'. Now it says 'healthy male volunteers', what I want to know is do they give you a wound to test it? Laughing Then again looking at the map it isn't that far from Moss Side Razz

There's always one that has to go and ruin good things by saying it's near moss side isn't there Razz

Jinx
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:16 - 08 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lot probably dont want to hear this cos you are so impressed with the money... BUT.... I write clinical research for a living... and the biggest part of my job is writing about the adverse reactions that occur!
It is good money and the chances are that you would have no side effects what so ever...however, there is also a risk that you could become very ill and there is no knowing with a new drug what the long term effects will be - for example - is it a carcinogen? does it affect fertility?
Your choice of course but make sure that you are VERY well informed before you agree - by law the investigator has to give you all the available information - make sure you listen carefully and ask about anything that you are not sure of. Find out what other trials have been carried out- and what the rate of adverse and serious adverse events was. Remember - theoretically you are not just taking a risk with your self but with your potential children too!
But dont let me put you off!!

PS - what was the anti cancer drug that your friend received? It is very unusual to test cancer drugs in healthy volunteers as they are usually such harsh drugs.

Dazed
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 08 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not got a clue, but one of my mates who did the trial was told about it by his dad who works there (possibly works in the same department?) so I guess he must have thought it was safe enough for his son to do it. But point taken, it is danger money, they could wind up impotent or something Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2