Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BMF rejects licence proposals

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Will
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:04 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: BMF rejects licence proposals Reply with quote

Hi,

Taken from MCN:

The British Motorcycle Federation has recommended the UK rejects EU changes to the licensing system for motorcycles.

The BMF has submitted a 4000 word response to the Department for Transport which states that the Third EC Driving Licence Directive will make getting a licence more complex and more expensive, but do nothing for road safety.

The proposals include a complete change for licensing, with a new AM (moped) category, alongside new A1 (light motorcycle), A2 (intermediate motorcycle) and A3 (unlimited motorcycle) licences. The EU would also like to limit the first driving licence for three years.

The age limit for the A1 class would be lowered to 16, but Direct Access would be bumped up to 24. The BMF believe any problems with Direct Access come from older riders and are not addressed by these changes.

The UK riders group has submitted its own proposals with a mandatory training scheme over a period of several weeks as part of a new Direct Access test. It does however support the introduction of standards for examiners and medical checks for drivers.

BMF Govt Relations Exec, Trevor Magner, says, " The second EC Driving Licence Directive was intended to harmonise licensing practice but has failed. The proposals in the Third have continued with more bureaucracy introduced for questionable benefits. The proposals are difficult to justify except as ‘busy work’ on the part of the European Commission. "

Cheers,

Will
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:46 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

24!?!?!?!?!?! what the ****

What the holy **** are they thinking?!?!?

The statistics are clear, targeting younger riders is not the answer, but then since when has makeing legislation about the facts or road safety... neither does a bikes power have ANY bearing on the likeyhood of an accident... this is makeing me sick just thinking about it.
Evil or Very Mad

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 01:42 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a bunch of sensible intelligent people, stick 'em in a room, tell 'em to "make policy" and they degenerate into useless naive idiots.

Ivory towers seem to spring to mind.
the more of this rubbish I hear, the less I favour governments over anarchy.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1