Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Failed my test.... sulk sulk

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

BIKELESS STEVE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:20 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Failed my test.... sulk sulk Reply with quote

Failed my test last week... bugger. I'd actually failed after 200 yards.. the traffic lights had a left hand green filter and like a numpty I waited for it to come on before pulling away... Rolling Eyes It didn't...
So I waited then went on the next green light. I also forgot to cancel a right indicator. Only 1 minor fault apart from that and the lights were on red when I approached them .. stupid thing was I'd been through them ealier in the day without stopping AARRRGGGHH
Re-test booked for 26th May, I'm confident I'll pass this one as I found rest of test easy compared to the riding instructor bollocking every little error and having a radio that picked up local buiders and crane operators. Thumbs Down

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't beat yourself up mate!

I failed 4 times! Laughing

1st - Foot down on the U turn.
2nd - Forgot to turn indicator off, examiner had to tell me. (examiner verbal intervention = instant fail)
3rd - U turn, AGAIN.
4th - Not looking left when turning left (lots of times!)

Funnily enough, the only three minors I got on my 5th test were all for speeding... Perhaps thats telling me something...? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Good luck for next time. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Just remember, they dont judge you on past performances. Just relax and take your time. I found talking my way through the test (like your instructor would have done) tended to may me think a little bit more.

BIKELESS STEVE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:55 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was worried about my U-turn but pulled off best one I'd ever done!.
Why can't they have self cancelling indicators on ALL bikes, annoying thing is I've got a bike in the garage insured and taxed just begging me to ride it. All I can do is move it round and round in the courtyard round back of house, oh and polish it again and again.
Laughing
Ah well, in about 4 weeks I'll pass, It's costing me £100 as I've got to hire bike and chose to have a pre-test lesson (don't want to risk damaging my bike, I'd rather drop their c**ppy CB500,. not that I would of course Twisted Evil

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:02 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough break, but good luck for the retest, fingers crossed that you'll sail through it Thumbs Up

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 11:31 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instructor on the DAS told me about another student he had that done something very silly on the test...

He was at traffic lights turning right, and when the green light came on he pulled forward to the middle bit to wait for a gap or the green arrow. Of course the green arrow never came on and the lights went back to red. At this point he started back peddaling towards the line again. Confused

So it could have been worse mate. Don't worry about it. Your lesson is learned and you'll pass next time. Thumbs Up

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:40 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProXimaCore wrote:

He was at traffic lights turning right, and when the green light came on he pulled forward to the middle bit to wait for a gap or the green arrow. Of course the green arrow never came on and the lights went back to red. At this point he started back peddaling towards the line again. Confused

Should of just gone, suprising how many people will try and reverse out of a junction if the lights change.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 11:42 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the same problem with the indicators when I was riding around before passing my test - I'd always forget that they were on.

What I did was to buy a buzzer from Maplin and wire it in parallel with the indicator light on your console (next to high beam etc.). Works a treat - whenever the indicator is on it buzzes and so I never forget to turn them off!

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:47 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my SR (damn not having an auto return button), I used to manage to flick to the opposite indicator a lot to start with...

Now I have no problem with the indicator, always turn it off, with one exception. As I turn right into the road I live on, I always without fail leave the indicator on, and don't notice it until I pull up. It never happens when I turn into the same road coming the opposite way (turning left), and never on any other turn... Odd Confused

Like the buzzer idea though. Mind you I'd probably ignore that also. I'd like to say I'll learn to switch it off, but I think this one road will haunt me until I move again... Where did I put the house ads Mr. Green

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 11:50 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy on a ped that lives up my way and each day I see him driving down the road with his indicator on. Every time without fail, it'll be flashing away driving down the main road. I always try and tell him to turn it off but I don't think he gets what I'm meaning. I once followed him to the other side of town with it flashing the whole time. Neutral

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some training bikes I rode had a buzzer built in for that exact purpose. However, I heard rumour that it is not legal? Can anyone confirm this?
Most of the bikes I rode during lessons had these's buzzer circuits, but then they were older bikes, the newest (R plate) did not.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 11:54 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a moped for my CBT which had a buzzer built in as standard from new, I guess by this that it must be legal.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bad sign if you f*** up a junction on your test because you should have been practising all the major test route junctions during your DAS training lessons.

I know my instructor took me round the difficult junctions until I cried not to do them anymore!!!

Good luck on the re-sit Thumbs Up

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BIKELESS STEVE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:18 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid thing was I did the same junction several times before and just went through.. just initial overcautious.. the other lad who was doing his test on a 125 had done the same thing before his test but remebered in test. If the lights had been on green as I approached them I would have just gone through, at least I did nothing dangerous and my bike control was spot on, as were the observations exept the t**sing indicator. No nasty swerves infront of cars, always shoulder checks and mirrors at juntions and roundabouts. I just laughed about it in the end. At least it's raining now so I'm not missing out. (well makes me feel better anyway Evil or Very Mad )

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been worse you could have failed on the LAST 200 yards like me!!! After having NO minors.

Bullshat!

Passed next time though...

jayaraj158
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pity you guys Razz
In India you just go and ride the bike in a 8 shape of prescribed path width of 8 Ft, and answer a couple of stupid questions like the speed limits or signals and you are king of the road; Very Happy you got the license.There is no restriction on power or cc. Razz
Most of the driving schools make their students do the test on a Bajaj m80, with high slow speed and its easy. Twisted Evil
But your tests ensure more better riders Thumbs Up

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I failed my first test for speeding in 50 zone.(fantasy 50 zone that is - long story Rolling Eyes )

When I passed the second time the examiner asked my why I failed the first time and I told him it was for speeding in a 50 zone. He said to me " There aren't any 50 zones around here "

https://www.inflash.com/emoticons/rant.gif

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to explain this one to us Ritchie!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
You'll need to explain this one to us Ritchie!!!

Well to cut a long story short..

I was out on a lesson the day before my test. There is a dual carriage way about a mile long with national speed limit signs therefor a 70 mph limit. Halfway along it there is an s bend and at the side of the road there is a white triangle with a red border and an s shaped line in the middle. Underneath it is white rectangle that says on it " MAXIMUM SPEED 50 "

So when we stopped a while after, I asked the instructor about the sign. He said that it was a recommended maximum safe speed for the bend, the speed limit was still 70. Ok cool. He said I should just maybe slow down a bit from 70 though.

So the day of my test and off we go. I went down the said road on my test and I slowed down to around 60 ish. So at the end of the test when I parked up the instructor came over. I was thinking to myself that I had done pretty well.

" sorry to tell you that you have failed "
"EH?"
" Speeding in a 50 zone "
"tits"

The only road that I passed with a "50 limit" was the one I was on about. I went through the route with the instructor and there were no other 50 zones. In fact none in the entire town. So the instructor wasn't to happy. Not as unhappy as me though Confused

Anyway I booked my test and 10 days later I passed. When the examiner was writing out my test sheet thingy he goes
" What did you fail your first test for?"
" speeding in a 50 zone"
he gave my a queer look and says " There aren't any 50 zones "

Mad

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 21:35 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make a complaint to the DSA?

I would, you'd get your test fee back.

I find it really hard to believe that a motorcycle examiner can make a mistake like that, a lot of them are ex-police riders and all have the top riding qualifications.

Any rectangular sign is "Information" i.e. it's guidance only. A speed limit only applies when it's in a circle with a red band around the outside.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't bother to complain. In my experience these things are hard to argue with and you rarely win the argument and if you do it takes ages. Though I do know of people that have fought them and won. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle. Confused

I passed within 10 days anyway. The thing is though, I was super confident the first time but on the second go I was a complete bag of shit. Sad I was convinced I had failed and the test route was about twice as long, it took about 50 mins all in. Don't know what the average is.

Actually I believe that after the first test, my instructor went back to complain, though I didn't know this at the time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1