Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

klr 250 stalls when in gear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ausswharfie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:42 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: klr 250 stalls when in gear Reply with quote

85 klr 250 starts @ idle's fine, as soon as you stick it in first gear it just cuts out. has never done this before, always been good to ride only used for trail ridding in state forrest. fuel flow seems ok,spark ok, any idea's
brad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side stand safety switch?
Try by-passing that.(usually just a case of joining the wires together)

steve32
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:32 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmetoo125 wrote:

+1 Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lonner
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:33 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmetoo125 wrote:

as above or you can give it a shot of wd40 and free it of as the salt plays hell with them Thumbs Up

you might need to hold the pin with pliers and work it in and out a bit to loosen it fully hth

4Stroke
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:08 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh sidestand switch.
You can remove the two wires and solder them together to prevent it happening again. If you don't want the added safety feature it brings that is...

Failing that then the clutch is not disengagion properly but I'd defeinitely go with the above posts imo. I'm just thinking out loud.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:59 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might also be the clutch switch rather than the sidestand switch. Which remarkably can be stripped and cleaned on Kawasakis.

4Stroke
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:20 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Which remarkably can be stripped and cleaned on Kawasakis.

What do you find remarkable about that? (That may sound bluntly argumentive but I'm actually generally interested about why you find that remarkable Thumbs Up )

ausswharfie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:13 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: klr Reply with quote

thanks for all the info, it was the clutch switch wires had worked loose, it's fine now

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:37 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

4Stroke wrote:

What do you find remarkable about that? (That may sound bluntly argumentive but I'm actually generally interested about why you find that remarkable Thumbs Up )

Because there are very few electrical parts on modern Japanese motorcycles that can be dismantled and fixed. If they are faulty, you are expected to just buy a new one. Especially switches. Most of them are made in such a way as attempting to dismantle them either damages the housing rendering the part useless or are simply impossable to dismantle at all.

The Kawasaki clutch lever switch is an exception to this, it can be totally dismantled, cleaned and reassembled.

I have old, Eastern European motorbikes which even have relays that can be dismantled and repaired.

Fuel taps are another classic in a similar vein. They used to unscrew so you could clean them out, now they are rivetted.

4Stroke
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:41 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
4Stroke wrote:

Because there are very few electrical parts on modern Japanese motorcycles that can be dismantled and fixed. If they are faulty, you are expected to just buy a new one. Especially switches. Most of them are made in such a way as attempting to dismantle them either damages the housing rendering the part useless or are simply impossable to dismantle at all.

The Kawasaki clutch lever switch is an exception to this, it can be totally dismantled, cleaned and reassembled.

I have old, Eastern European motorbikes which even have relays that can be dismantled and repaired.

Fuel taps are another classic in a similar vein. They used to unscrew so you could clean them out, now they are rivetted.
#

Big Thumbs Up for Kawasaki then.
I guess the more modern stuff is more prone to the unservicable/sealed parts also?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1