BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Knee armor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:40 - 15 May 2004    Post subject: Knee armor Reply with quote

I went out and bought trousers, jacket, helmet, and gloves yesterday. The people in the shop were really helpful and seemed very interested in kitting me out with the best protection rather than trying to sell the expensive gear. They went through everything with me and what it was for.

When I tried the different trousers on that they have, i found that the knee armor is bellow my actual knee. None of it stays in place unless i sit down on a chair. They did say that I had to think about when i'm sat on the bike and how the armor moves into place. In my mind though the armor can be in the complete wrong place when i'm on the bike, it's when i'm on the floor that matters.

Should the knee armor cover the knees no matter what position i'm in? Does it adjust as I wear it in or anything? It really does feel like more shin protection rather than knees.

Dragged that out lol...

Rick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nadeem
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:27 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the same when buying trousers - I settled for getting a shorter length trouser from Rukka - have come off the bike in them with no serious damage - had a sore left knee for two days or so but would have been much worse without the protection...

My knee protectors sit more or less on my knees both standing and sitting - they ride up a little when seated obviously
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:08 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i'm a bit worried about it now then Confused The top of the knee armor seems to lie just bellow my knee unless i pull it up. Might take it back and see if they'll let me try something else. Everything else is great.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you are talking about textile trousers not leathers? Textiles tend to be a loser fit than leathers and therefore the armour can move around more. A mate of mine had Buffalo textiles on when he crashed, the armour was in place when he sat on the bike but when he crashed it moved below the knee.

My leathers have knee armour bonded to the leather outer and stay in place when I'm in the sitting or standing position. I recently had a car do a right hand turn into me and crush my knee between the car and bike. Fortunately the armour took most of the impact and I only suffered bruising.

Is the armour in your trousers the hard kind, hard outer shell or is it the soft foam kind? The worrying thing about it being the hard variety as that if it sits under the knee, in an impact it could be pushed upwards causing damaged to the joint/kneecap.

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:23 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of both really, hard on the outside, soft where it touches my leg/knee. I'm going to take them with me when I do my CBT again and see what the instructors think. The people at the shop will undoubtably take them back if I go in and tell them what I think. I didn't want to argue too much in the shop because they really did sound like they knew what they were talking about and were really helpful with everything. Not your average salesmen. The trousers are textile and made by Fieldsheer.

Thanks for the help.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1