View previous topic : View next topic  

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 19:31 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Theory Test
wot a cunt 35 normal
hazard perception 43 WHEN 44 is PASS
P-------I------S-------S----------E----------D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fastpaceinstr...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:37 - 15 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask any DSA examiner they will tell you they do not want to see too many lifesavers, a lot are unneccessary, Especially a lifesaver before you enter a bend.....what do you think you have mirrors for! If you care to read the motorcycle manual published by the DSA it has a warning and states 'Looking over your shoulder too often or at the wrong moment can be hazardous. In the time you take to look behind you 1;lose touch with what's going on in front 2;Run the risk of veering of course. it goes on to say that you may need to look behind well before you signal or make any manoeuvre or change of direction, for example :moving off :turning left or right :overtaking :changing lanes :slowing or stopping.

So just to recap, Regular and sensible use of the mirrors eliminates the use for too many rearward glances or lifesavers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fastpaceinstr...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:49 - 15 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUOTE FROM IAN GPZ400:It's all reversed for the bend that goes round to the left, but don't sit on the white line in the middle of the road, you need to be in the best position you can be to see round the bend without crossing the central white line, cos if you are, then what ever is coming towards you will hit you, remember, most car / lorry drivers hug the white line or even cross it from time to time, as do we bikers too, but if you want to live, then ride defensively and not like a fool.[/quote]

Again i quote the DSA manual for you. LEFT HAND BENDS: On a left hand bend keep to your normal road position. Don't move out into the centre of the road, where you may endanger yourself by getting too close to the oncoming traffic. The road camber may work to your advantage, but don't go too fast. Look out for *Pedestrians,especially when there is no footpath *Horse riders *Stopped or broken down vehichles *Vehichles waiting to turn right. Always ride at such a speed that you can stop safely in the distance you can see to be clear.

Last edited by fastpaceinstructor on 13:55 - 15 May 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fastpaceinstr...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:53 - 15 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian (GPZ400R) wrote:
Dominate the lane your in, if a car is in your way (parked on the left) go round it to the right, check that it is clear ahead and then do a lifesaver over your right shoulder before you go around it to the right.

Bends -- Just before you go round a bend -- Say it's a bend to the right, where do you need to be to go round the bend ? On the left side near the kerb if you did not know ! Why ? So you can see round the bend that much earlier.

Just before you pull over to the left to take the bend, make sure no one is up your inside.

It's all reversed for the bend that goes round to the left, but don't sit on the white line in the middle of the road, you need to be in the best position you can be to see round the bend without crossing the central white line, cos if you are, then what ever is coming towards you will hit you, remember, most car / lorry drivers hug the white line or even cross it from time to time, as do we bikers too, but if you want to live, then ride defensively and not like a fool.

By the way, just wondering if you are a DAS instuctor and is this what you teach? Did you learn this at Cardington?

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:11 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastpaceinstructor wrote:
By the way, just wondering if you are a DAS instuctor and is this what you teach? Did you learn this at Cardington?

No I am not a DAS Instructor.
No, this is not what I teach A2 students.

Cardington is not a teaching center, it's an assessment center to gain CBT / DAS card / Warrants, unless you want to be an ADI / MC examiner, then you have to attend a training course at Cardington.

fastpaceinstr...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:04 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No I am not a DAS Instructor.
No, this is not what I teach A2 students.

Cardington is not a teaching center, it's an assessment center to gain CBT / DAS card / Warrants, unless you want to be an ADI / MC examiner, then you have to attend a training course at Cardington.
[/quote]

You seem to have avoided the lifesavers before bends point?

I have read your previous post's and see that you signed as a Motag instructor. From London the closest site would be Crystal palace and you don't seem to be registered for this site. Don Banks, Simon Hope and Dave Harris are the resident instructors.

You are quite correct about Cardington......a place I know well.

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:47 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have avoided the lifesavers before bends point?

Not at all. Read page 133 of the book under the heading of Approach with care
As you approach, follow the OSM/PSL routine.

Before you reach the bend
- take up the best approach position for that type of bend.

- adjust your speed, if necessary, and select the most suitable gear.

Here I refer to the OSM/PSL routine. O = Use your mirrors (to see whats behind you on the approach to the bend). Take rear observation over shoulder if nessasary (depends if you have crap view in your mirrors, or your not sure if someone is in your blind spot, or you have time in hand to check over shoulder before you get to the bend). M = Say's it all really, it's linked with P (see below). S = Speed, slow down if you need to and change to a gear that will aid you on the bend. P = Position, decide on the position you want to be in to take the bend while at the same time allowing you to see round the bend with the best possible view ahead without endangering yourself or anyone else.

I have read your previous post's and see that you signed as a Motag instructor. From London the closest site would be Crystal palace and you don't seem to be registered for this site. Don Banks, Simon Hope and Dave Harris are the resident instructors.

OK, so you know some people. Somehow I get the feeling someone is playing games here (Hi Simon Twisted Evil ).

You are quite correct about Cardington......a place I know well.

Good for you.

marc_yorks
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:19 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well everyone,im booked in for early june
booked a 3 day intensive das
275 quid
got my theory next thursday,ordered a cd rom for the theory.
wish me luck!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2