Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stupid newbie crash!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:49 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Stupid newbie crash! Reply with quote

Hi guys, thought it may be a good time to introduce myself, as it seems I'm gonna be spending a lot of time here after a rather stupid and painfull crash.

My names Jon, and ive been riding for two years nearly, im 17, a student ive been popping around this forum for a few weeks now, and it seems to be the best place to chat about bikes online Thumbs Up . At the moment I own a '88 KH100 which is a lot of fun and very cheap to thrash about.

The crash happened on Saturday night, I was riding with some friends (CG125 and RS50) on the old A30 doing about 60mph, with the RS in front, the CG very close behind and me just right and behind of the CG. There wasn't any traffic about and it was a dry night so we felt safe riding within only a metre or two of each other which is really definatly far too close under any circumstance. The RS decided to pull in at a garage (think it indicated, not sure as CG was in the way) and began to braketo make the turn in, matey on the CG didn't realise and didn't have time to brake as we were all so close so had to slam on brakes and pull out to the right , straight into my path. I went straight into him before Id had the chance to put the brakes on, and went straight of the side of the bike as it tried to jacknife (handle bars yanked into the left due to hitting CG rider) . The result was we both came off. The CG was doing about 45 when he came off, i was doing about 60. My friend ended up with scars all over his hands, arms and legs (wasn't wearing gloves). I broke my right arm when I hit the ground and ended up with a huge scar on my right shoulder due to dragging on the ground on one side as both bikes ended up on top of me, pinning me down. I was wearing a thick leather jacket which ended up in a right mess. When i did finally stop moving I found myself with the right handle bar end of my bike between my legs and caught in the front of my jacket!, which meant I was absolutly pinned down as with one arm broken it was impossible to pivot the bike to allow me to stand up. I had to wait for the RS 50 rider to come and free me. After staggering to our feet we called an ambulance, and in the 15 or so minutes we were waiting we had atleast 9 cages go past, absolutly none of which stopped to check on us (despite the fact there were two wrecked bikes and debris all over the road with 3 teenagers staggering about with ripped up clothes), i think one or two slowed down to avoid the glass on the road but not one stopped! When the ambulance / police came they did the usual accident stuff, bretherlyzer, producers slip and let me and the CG rider in the ambulance where I was pinned to a spinal bored for about one and a half hours on the way to Exeter. Im sure those boards are fantastic for back injuries but my god are they uncomfortable! The guys at the hospital were real saints, with god knows how many saturday night casualties to deal with, and some kid with a broken arm and a few scratches and his mate must seem really trivial but they did a great job and were really concerned for everyones welfare which was great.

The next day we picked up the cg and the kh, the CG had faired quite well, a few scratches , broken indicator, bent handlebars but my bike was a lot worse, smashed lights, clocks and a really twisted front section, and quite a few parts had mysteriously disapeared in the accident without a trace. I also saw my lid for the first time, and it was a harrowing experiance as I expect any of you who have crashed will recall. Mine wasn't cracked or anything but had huge gashes down the right hand side, would have definatly been dead without it. I also now realise how much of a dickhead some 125 ers can be, as we were sorting out the CG into the back of an estate car some muppet on a race replicar decided it was a good time to have a show off too our already sick as a dog parents by riding at about 80mph past our car with about an inch to spare, then turning round and riding back the other way if i remember correctly. Mad

The reason I have written all this is because I feel i just need a small rant and to suggest it definatly not a good idea to ride within about 1 metre of each other when doing 60mph Rolling Eyes Well, thanks for reading this far, hopefully you had a better weekend than i did!
Probably off to hospital to have rod put in my arm tomorrow!

Thanks, Jonathan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mac
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:53 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harsh man..but glad to hear you nor any of your friends were seriously injured. I take it your friend has decided to buy some gloves and protective gear now?

Oh and welcome to the forum. Thumbs Up

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 23:54 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that sounds a bit painful Sad
I hope you have learnt to leave space and ride to on side of the bike infront Confused
Still welcome to the forum, I hope you make a speedy recovery and remember not to feed the animals.

Harman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:08 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to here about your crash and welcome to bcf

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:25 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Get well soon and welcome.

I never leave the house without my protective gear on, I am rather attached to my skin!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:38 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best introduction, but glad you (and your friends) will learn from this and hopefully won't be quite so stupid when you get on a 160mph bike Smile. Welcome anyway.

Was it an actual bike jacket you were wearing?

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 14:53 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch mate Shocked. I used to have a kh100, was good fun Smile

I too crashed that once on gravel, only cost me 6 quid to fix after a 45mph drop - hopefully yours won't be too too much either.

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 15:06 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A harsh lesson learned - hope you have a speedy recovery matey and be sure and don't let it put you off!

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:40 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Beleive me I wont be riding so close in future, nor will the people I was riding with. We were very lucky, had a car been coming the other way or had we hit a lampost I dont think id be writing about it now.
Both my mates are OK, The RS somehow managed to avoid the accident all together and The CG rider suffered only scratches and a little road rash. After replacing the handlebars with ones from his CB125 field bike he was riding about again in a day or two with gloves on Thumbs Up . The KH has been estimated at £200 to put right, probably due to the fact the handlebars and wheel point in different directions. The crash even claimed my nice 4x7 inch number plate (original plate) and I don't think I can get a remplacement.

The jacket i was wearing wasn't a biker jacket as such, it was made by next I belive, lol. The replacement however is and will hopefully offer more protection. I dont think the injuries would have been so bad if I had rolled instead of been dragged along. Oh well, I was still very lucky. Thanks again for your kind words.

Last edited by badlydamaged on 19:54 - 20 May 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now your user name has new meaning.

Welcome Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1