Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Well.... hello (First real bike advice?)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:26 - 21 May 2004    Post subject: Well.... hello (First real bike advice?) Reply with quote

So I have been lurking, checking out the forums before I made my first post, and now I guess I will, and I guess I will get some stick for my choice of motorbike (TW125 Wink) but hey, it works for me.
Okay.... so it isn't the most powerful 125, but I like it.
I could go on about how perfect it is for me/where I live, but it would probably bore you, heh.

But anyway...... to the point of my post, well, the point was mainly an introduction, although I will give it some point.
My CBT will expire in August, and having had a Speedfight II until I hit 17 and got my TW125 (Funny how when people cross the road at traffic lights they look at me funny when I clunk it into first gear, got to love the bike just for its sounds) so anyway, I learned to ride with gears by tagging along with a CBT lesson for the first half (in car park) to learn about gearing, then they took the learners on the road and I went home, and stalled a couple times Rolling Eyes
Ah, I've done it again, this wasn't the point.

So, back on track, now I am confident with gears, and general motorbike riding, and have been riding as a commuter and for fun I have decided not to take the car route it life, but to be a biker, so I have saved, and I am soon going to take my theory and book my test, which will be fun, but am I right in saying that I can do it on my 125?
And that entitles me (if I pass) to ride up to 33BHP?

So I am thinking of getting a 400(rough guide) and having it restricted, which brings me to my point (got here in the end) the restriction, will reduce both top speed and acceleration/mid range?
And, for a first larger bike that will do me good when it is derestricted and while it is still restricted, what would you advise?

Hope I haven't.... irritated to many people with my little diversions, I get like that.... Embarassed
So yeah, hi, and on a final note, when I ride (except at the work commuting time) I nearly always get nods, and that makes me feel great, especially if they are on my dream bike, GSX is all love. :>

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 01:40 - 21 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Josh, it's nice to see a new member that can do the whole spelling and punctuation thing Very Happy
As for the point of your post, I'm afraid I can't advise as I passed my test far to long ago to have had a restriceted bike Cool

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:18 - 21 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i know the old Yamaha TW (tractor wheels) 125cc. I've seen a couple of them and they look cool and sound smart. Good choice for a first proper bike.

From the DVLA website:

Quote:
The New Category A and A1 Driving Licence
At age 17 or over, you will have two types of full motorcycle licence to aim for - the A1 light motorcycle licence or the standard category A motorcycle licence.

Catergory A1 motorcycle licence
To gain a full A1 light motorcycle licence you must successfully complete CBT and pass a theory test followed by a practical test on a vehicle between 75cc and 125cc. A full A1 licence permits you to ride any motorcycle up to 125cc and a power output of up to 11kW (14.6 bhp) without `L' plates, carry pillion passengers and use motorways.

Full Catergory A motorcycle licence
To gain a full standard category A licence you must successfully complete CBT and pass a theory test followed by a practical test on a motorcycle of over 120cc but not larger than 125cc and capable of at least 100kph. In practice the normal test vehicle will be a 125cc machine. A full standard category A licence permits you ride any motorcycle with a power output of up to 25kW (33bhp) and a power-to-weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg without `L' plates, carry pillion passengers and use motorways. You are restricted to a motorcycle up to 25kW for two years (not counting any periods of disqualification). After two years you may ride any size motorcycle.

So you can use your bike for your full test.

A restricted 400 is still pretty pokey. They can still reach in excess of 100mph and acceleration is still pretty good. You should notice alot of difference compared to your 125cc (double the power).

And welcome to the forum Thumbs Up .

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:30 - 21 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I live, 100mph is more than enough, the people round here all tend to drive real slow or just out of my grasp, like about 45-55 so I can't get the speed to pass them but they are still going slower than I would if it was just me and the road, so I figure a 400 will be able to sort that out, but at the same time it won't rip me apart.
Although I am a confident rider (I think) I don't want to over do it for my first full licencse bike.
Maybe a 500, but I don't know too much about the different mid-range bikes out there, well, I don't even know what "mid-range" bikes are, I figure it goes like:
Low end:
50/125/250
Middle:
400/500/650
High end
750/900/1000+
So yeah, I am still deciding what to do.

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:32 - 22 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to give you some advice but I'm afraid I don't have a clue Mr. Green

Welcome to the forum though Very Happy Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:43 - 22 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BikerBen wrote:
I would love to give you some advice but I'm afraid I don't have a clue Mr. Green

Welcome to the forum though Very Happy Thumbs Up

Thanks Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1