Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New speed gun with 2km range...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 13:50 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: New speed gun with 2km range... Reply with quote

Yes folks, thats right. Now they can get you and snap you (number plate and driver) from 2km away. The new gun (Pro Laser 3) is being introduced in Dorset.

I wonder if they catch old men who decide to swerve onto the other side of the road when I'm about to overtake as well? Or is that just too much to ask for? Neutral

BBC News Online wrote:

Trials of a new mobile long-range camera which can record the speed of a driver from more than a mile away are under way in Dorset.
The ProLaser III is the latest state-of-the-art technology being used to cut the number of people killed or injured on the county's roads.

Dorset Safety Camera Partnership (DSCP) chiefs hope the laser camera will encourage people to kill their speed.

The ProLaser III is due to be introduced between June and July.

'Reduce casualties'

The new hand-held device can record a vehicle's speed from a distance of up to 2000 metres.

The old radar speed guns had a range between 500 and 800 metres.

Johnny Stephens, project manager for the Dorset Safety Camera Partnership, said: "The ProLaser III is one of the most technically-advanced pieces of safety camera equipment on the market.

"Our overriding priority is to reduce the number of casualties on Dorset's roads.

"We know that some members of the public race towards cameras and then break hard as they pass and speed up again after the cameras.

"This new technology will assist the partnership in stopping this very dangerous practice.

"If drivers continue to persist in speeding, it could even result in them losing their driving licences - and all because they could not take their foot off that right pedal."

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:52 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right Mr Blair, rape the motorists Evil or Very Mad

I heard that in South Yorkshire they are trialing a camera which detects if you are driving too close to the car in front!

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 13:55 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattastic wrote:
I heard that in South Yorkshire they are trialing a camera which detects if you are driving too close to the car in front!

Good - thats actually using the technology to try and stop on eof the more dangerous things people do. The only problem is that it will have to be built into a speed camera as well.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

These already exist and have been around for a while I believe, so now you won't even see the copper with the gun, then a few weeks later you get a letter asking you for money. Sorry but I don't see how that is going to deter people from speeding?

And look at the mobile phone thread, people weaving all over the road, I see plenty of people using their phones when I am out and it is so annoying. But the police acutually have to go out to catch those people, so it's just less effort to fine people who speed Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:42 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this new camera takes a picture of the driver, does that mean we all have to wear open faced helmets coz identifying a rider from their eyes may be tricky!
Also, does it mean people are going to start wearing masks whilst driving - it's gonna be hilarious! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:45 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to do is to make sure you can turn off before you get to the speed camera... then they can't really do much unless they have a patrol car around.

Now... a gun that detected people using mobile phones in cars... that would be a good use of money Smile.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sv_cath wrote:
If this new camera takes a picture of the driver, does that mean we all have to wear open faced helmets coz identifying a rider from their eyes may be tricky!

I don't believe for a minute that the little hand held thing there could take a picture at that range!

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:51 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
The thing to do is to make sure you can turn off before you get to the speed camera... then they can't really do much unless they have a patrol car around.

Why is that? On a straight road (i.e. motorway or dual carriageway) they can get you from over a mile away, probably even before you see them. As it actually takes pictures they don't need to stop you as you get the NIP through the post.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:

Why is that? On a straight road (i.e. motorway or dual carriageway) they can get you from over a mile away, probably even before you see them. As it actually takes pictures they don't need to stop you as you get the NIP through the post.

That only really applies to cars though doesn't it?

mazza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what would happen if everybody agreed to drive/ride at a speed well below the limit for a whole week? Twisted Evil

Just think of the lost revenue those guys would have to endure in the Police forces and Transport Depts. Very Happy

Just a thought.

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:54 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:

On a straight road (i.e. motorway or dual carriageway) they can get you from over a mile away, probably even before you see them.

Which is why I dont have lights turned on when I'm riding on motorways or dual carriageways, makes it much harder for them to spot you from a distance, with lights on its easy for them to pick you out going fast.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:55 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

It does from the front, yeah. Although I suppose they could start hiding the things up slip roads or the like to get people from behind.

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:57 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

Why? They just write your numberplate down as you go under the bridge.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

priller wrote:

Why? They just write your numberplate down as you go under the bridge.

Laughing Will they? Doubt it somehow. Maybe they'll do as McJam suggested with a T5 up a slip road etc. Confused

G
The Voice of Reason

McJamweasel wrote:

Because if you turn off all they get a picture of the front of your bike (presuming) you're on a bike, as this is bikechatforums Smile... which aint really enough to send a NIP to.

I know their current ones work over a significant distance when hidden up a slip road as it is Neutral.

Kickstart
The Oracle

mazza wrote:
I wonder what would happen if everybody agreed to drive/ride at a speed well below the limit for a whole week? Twisted Evil

Congestion would be hideous and the accident rate would increase.

All the best

Keith

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:01 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

Laughing Will they? Doubt it somehow. Maybe they'll do as McJam suggested with a T5 up a slip road etc. Confused

They will do and they have done before.

mazza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the accident rate really increase?

I'm just thinking of the gross loss of income these bodies would have to shoulder. In return, a bit of mild inconvenience. And if keeping within the speed limit creates serious problems...well.... that's another thread. Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:08 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazza wrote:
Would the accident rate really increase?

Quite probably. Everyone crawling along slowly at the same speed with no overtaking possible would send people to sleep.

mazza wrote:
I'm just thinking of the gross loss of income these bodies would have to shoulder. In return, a bit of mild inconvenience. And if keeping within the speed limit creates serious problems...well.... that's another thread. Thumbs Up

They would just say that as the accident rate had not gone down then this was proof that they needed lower limits, more cameras and higher penalties.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1