Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Total 100% Noob Looking For Some Advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kinpin
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:54 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Total 100% Noob Looking For Some Advice Reply with quote

Hi all, Im 18, I know absolutely nothing about bikes and I'm thinking of getting one. I'm going to be using it to travel about 20 miles a day to and from college. What I would like to know is what tests entitle me to ride what bike and what you guys would recommend as a starting bike. I'd like at least a 125cc, something sporty looking, relliable and not over the top price wise, also it must be pretty reasonable to insure. I will be looking to spend no more than £2k on the bike itself. Smile

Cheers for any help

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 12:04 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Can you hear me now?" Phoenix Nights

First of all you need to get a provisional licence, go to the post office and ask for a form to get it, fill it in, send it off and 2 weeks you'll get a provisional licence in the post. Step 1 complete.

Next you need to take a CBT course, round here they cost £95 for the day including bike hire. This is a course, not a test. You will spend the first half of the day riding round a car park/playground and the rest of the day on the road.

When you have your CBT certificate you can ride your bike on the road, you must display L-plates and you cannot take a pillion or go on motorways.

Bike wise a lot of people will suggest the Honda NSR125 as a good first bike, it's a sporty 125, these can be picked up second hand for around £1,500 or less.

Insurance wise, I doubt it will be any more than £1,000. It's a sporty 125 so will be a bit more than other 125's, but it's still reasonable to insure.

Hope this helps.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 12:06 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at 18 you can ride a 125 on a cbt. Here for sporty bikes you have a few 125 nsr rs mito and tzr.

But you could also do you're cbt and a2 licence which means you do a test on a 125, and pass you're test and then you can ride any bike as long as you have it restricted to 33bhp. This will last for two years on this restriction then the restrition is lifted and you can ride whichever bike you want.

In my opinion I would get you're cbt buy a 125 for as cheaply as possible ride it for 6 month's ten look at doing you're test if you want to continue riding bikes.

Laura

R-C-M
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikewise. you might want to look at something like a Sachs XTC

They're good looking bikes, fairly reliable and I THINK you can ride these on a CBT without restriction.

As Laura says, get your CBT and bike, then after a while decide if you want to stick with it and go for the full licence, or if a car's a better option for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:01 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a rs125, when you pass your test you can derestrict it to 33bhp for the 2 years.

You shouldn't pay more than about £600 tpft insurance.

Kinpin
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:27 - 26 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice guys (and gal).

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 00:35 - 27 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you get a RS125 might aswell desrestirct it and get loads of fun
i have been pulled over 3 times and nothing has been done to check for restrictions.
although i may be getting banned for speeding, maybe a derestricted RS is not such a good idea

Grrrrrrrr Police
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 10:45 - 27 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
although i may be getting banned for speeding

Good.

The less bikes there are doing 67mph in a 40mph zone on the road giving bikers a bad name the better.

fazed
Korn is my hero!

PostPosted: 12:18 - 27 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone learns whether its getting banned or points or in the worst case seriously hurt killed and wave if you mean the main road in biggin hill (one with safeways on it) then yeh you deserve what you get a few people have been killed on it due to speeding Confused

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:45 - 28 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
if you get a RS125 might aswell desrestirct it and get loads of fun
i have been pulled over 3 times and nothing has been done to check for restrictions.
although i may be getting banned for speeding, maybe a derestricted RS is not such a good idea

Grrrrrrrr Police

what you get pulled for?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1