Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New Helmet Req'd. <150quid? Recommendations?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 05 May 2009    Post subject: New Helmet Req'd. <150quid? Recommendations? Reply with quote

I'm after a new helmet.

I'm currently using a Bieffe helmet. I bought it from a local shop and it does the job. It now has a few scratches on the visor and some cosmetic scuffs on the helmet from being used a lot.
Although it is removable/adjustable, the visor doesn't seal against
the rain very well so I'd like something with a better visor.

Something a little lighter in weight wouldn't be a bad thing, although the existing helmet's weight doesn't bother me.

I'd prefer a helmet with low internal noise

An integral anti-fog system isn't too vital as I'm a fan of Foggy masks and could get one for the new helmet.

Colour isn't too critical, but the less garish the better.

What's the view of those Caberg helmets with integral sun visors? It sounds like a good idea.

Cheers.
____________________
TDM850


Last edited by Smooth on 19:22 - 05 May 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 05 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Shoei Raid 2 was £250 with graphics or £200 plain colours. Good lid as far as I'm concerned.
____________________
BCF's 6th favourite poster 2009-2010

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:57 - 05 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting in this too.

My HJC CL-ST was great at first, but now the visor doesn't seal as it used to despite adjusting it. The lid and visor are scratched and the visor steams up all the time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 05 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those cabergs you speak of. V2R, very good IMO. No noise and comfy on my bonce. If you can find a plain V2 there isn't much difference, apart from about 30bob.
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

R6_Rider
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 05 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a shark s500 and it fits the bill perfectly for me.

It's rrp was around £140 I think but you can get the newer shape now for that. Not alot of road noise!

Pic of the S800
https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x199/Simon_peters/SHark.jpg

Get's the thumbs up from me!

Thumbs Up Si
____________________
2000 Blue R6 - 2002 Rear undertray - Tail Tidy - Akrapovic Can - Tinted Black Screen - Datatool Gear Indicator - Full Plastic Re Spray 03-02-09 - Datatool Veto/Evo Alarm - Rear Hugger
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

deanoet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 05 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a caberg with internal sun visor.
Protected me in a high speed meeting with the gravel at a track day fine. No real damage to the helmet other then cracked vents and other accessories. The helmet itself was intact and fine. (didnt use again though Smile)

Prob with the sun visor is they fog up if you breath out heavy on a cold morning. Smile
Also if it is down and you hit your head hard face on they are known to cause damage to the nose and surrounding area as they just dig in.

Recommended though, liked mine. Only changed as they are quite heavy. Plus i went poncy and went colour coded to bike. Smile
____________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 05 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be able to get a shark RSi for £150 or less now. Cracking looking lid, light as a feather, and best visor removal system ever. Very good protection too Thumbs Up
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rottweiler
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 05 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bro has a shark s500 very compfy lid, light and good visor very easy to remove etc etc
____________________
were: piaggio nrg..ybr 125
now: cg 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swiftb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:22 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of shoei xr1000 and raids kicking round if you search hard enough from around £150. As good as you will get for that kind of money. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:03 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I'd say about the caberg (trip 2) is its heavy and very noisy (presumably from all the sticky out bits.) I also have a Vyper blue tooth helmet which is nice, matt plack with built in blue tooth head phones.

Its ok, again a bit noisy (not as bad as the caberg) its a chin up job but has less sticky out vents and hinges. Its one of those things where they've thought, mmm, this sounds like a good idea, but haven't really thought to much about how it'll work. Its a fine helmet but hands free phone calls just don't work well at all, ironically, to much wind noise. Rolling Eyes

Sorry, that only really rules out as opossed to rules in helmets... I reckon they should have some sort of mini wind tunnel you can stick your head in (with your prospective helmet on) to test it for wind noise.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:11 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXF-750 wrote:
I have a shark s500 and it fits the bill perfectly for me.

It's rrp was around £140 I think but you can get the newer shape now for that. Not alot of road noise!

Pic of the S800
https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x199/Simon_peters/SHark.jpg

Get's the thumbs up from me!

Thumbs Up Si

S500 is shit, the S800 how ever is an extremely good lid!
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

R6_Rider
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:00 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

XlonewolfX wrote:
GSXF-750 wrote:
I have a shark s500 and it fits the bill perfectly for me.

It's rrp was around £140 I think but you can get the newer shape now for that. Not alot of road noise!

Pic of the S800
https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x199/Simon_peters/SHark.jpg

Get's the thumbs up from me!

Thumbs Up Si

S500 is shit, the S800 how ever is an extremely good lid!


Each to their own I guess, I am very happy with my s500 thanks!
____________________
2000 Blue R6 - 2002 Rear undertray - Tail Tidy - Akrapovic Can - Tinted Black Screen - Datatool Gear Indicator - Full Plastic Re Spray 03-02-09 - Datatool Veto/Evo Alarm - Rear Hugger
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:32 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJC FG15. HJC, for all they're worth, probably make the best mid range helmets; very comfortable with a lot of features. If it's good enough for ben spies knocking his head on the floor all the time, then for the price, you get a lot of £ for buck. I had a HJC AC10 as my first lid and it lasted me 3 years. I think people who had AC11's such as wave2k have commended them on value for money. They're reasonably comfortable, but not as much as shoei territory. You can try shark too as people suggested. I'm not a fan of them personally, but the new ones have been getting a lot of good reviews from my mates.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/product_images/agv_k4_black.jpg

£20 over budget though - https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/594/34807
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:13 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXF-750 wrote:



Each to their own I guess, I am very happy with my s500 thanks!

Theres too much wind noise, it flaps about, its heavy, the vents are useless and cause too much of my first point, i owned my S500 for a year or 2 and i bought the S800 and i thought i went deaf and my head had swollen to keep the thing on my head... Confused
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rottweiler
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you being abit harsh your slating as if its some £50 piece of shit its a good lid well id be happy with it protecting my head.
____________________
were: piaggio nrg..ybr 125
now: cg 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rottweiler wrote:
i think you being abit harsh your slating as if its some £50 piece of shit its a good lid well id be happy with it protecting my head.

Your missing my point... The S800 is better in everyway, the S500 is a budget lid, i've had better £50 lids protectin my head, am sorry if you disagree, but its not a nice lid to wear or ride in.
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:31 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold_Shand wrote:
I've got a Shoei Raid 2 was £250 with graphics or £200 plain colours. Good lid as far as I'm concerned.


I had one of those. Probably better than my XR-1000 which costs more.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main thing to ask what size of helmet is it he requires? (XS / S / M/ L / XL) You may maybe able to get a really good end of line helmet for a really cheap price!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 06 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsman37 wrote:
Main thing to ask what size of helmet is it he requires? (XS / S / M/ L / XL) You may maybe able to get a really good end of line helmet for a really cheap price!


I'm hijacking and i'm a small, so its important that the helmet comes in multiple shell sizes. I think my HJC lid is too big
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

motobiker
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:50 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever helmet you go for - J&S are offering 20% off everything at the moment and that includes helmets.

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/page.php?page_id=8
____________________
1999 R1100GS + 2006 F800S
(Nottingham)
Sooner or later opinions fade and the name on the tank matters not. I think that happens somewhere between 3rd and 4th gear. Enjoy the ride... everything else takes care of itself.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

R6_Rider
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:17 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]Your missing my point... The S800 is better in everyway, the S500 is a budget lid, i've had better £50 lids protectin my head, am sorry if you disagree, but its not a nice lid to wear or ride in.[/quote]

I do disagree, I have no problems with my vents or riding with it.

I wouldn't say it was budget either when you can get lids starting at £50. If the s800 was around when I bought mine I would have gone for that but I have no problems with mine at all.

If I had more cash at the time there is no doubt that I would have a more expensive and lighter one but it does the job for a medium amount of cash.

Just my thoughts!
Si
____________________
2000 Blue R6 - 2002 Rear undertray - Tail Tidy - Akrapovic Can - Tinted Black Screen - Datatool Gear Indicator - Full Plastic Re Spray 03-02-09 - Datatool Veto/Evo Alarm - Rear Hugger
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Re: New Helmet Req'd. <150quid? Recommendations? Reply with quote

MC Bodge wrote:
What's the view of those Caberg helmets with integral sun visors? It sounds like a good idea.


I like it, but I'd prefer it if it were quieter. Sometimes I just don't want to put earplugs in.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete1959
Nova Slayer



Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my HJC IS16 Type O from J&S at Doncaster, £127 with a bit of discount, a very good helmet imo. not as noisey as some helmets i've had too. Thumbs Up This has the internal sun visor which is good, but you still get blinded if your heading into the sun.
____________________
No Fear - No Idea
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Caberg V2R as well, and aside from it being noisier than a trawler in a force 10 gale, it's pretty good. It's comfortable, and fairly light (ish), and the visor's handy if you wear glasses.
It's also quite cheap, which is a nice bonus.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 136.94 Kb