Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


I nearly killed someone last night...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:56 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: I nearly killed someone last night... Reply with quote

Had a long journey to do last night back up the M1 from darn sarf at about 10-11pm. The traffic was really good, all moving fast and no jams - could safely do 90mph all the way!

So I was in the middle lane overtaking slower traffic and coming up to a car in front of me that I wanted to overtake. Check my mirrors and see 4 or 5 cars coming up really quite fast so I slow a little and bide my time waiting for them to pass. I keep an eye on them and notice a bike coming up a way behind them, I watch for a little bit whilst they go whizzing past and see just how fast the bike is going, well it's still a way back so I've got plenty of room to pull out after the fast cars, overtake the car in front of me and pull back in again so the biker can continue without me getting in his way. I start the overtake and see the bike gathering pace towards me as I pass the the car in the middle lane, so I put my foot down and start indicating to pull back into the middle lane not far away from the car but just so the bike doesn't have to slow down too much. Next thing I know the biker is aiming for the gap between me and the car I'm overtaking, despite my indicating and lane changing!! Thankfully being a biker myself I triple checked his positioning and could see he'd already committed himself to the manouvre so I managed to yank the car back into the fast lane before the bike fly's past in the spot I could have been in - and probably just about every none bike riding driver would have been in. I was doing about 90 at this point and I'd guess by the rate at which he passed by and continued into the slow lane before pulling himself back into the fast lane, he was doing at least 120-130mph.

Such an utter idiot, and for absolutely no reason! I've done some stupid stuff in my time but this one really took the biscuit... Rolling Eyes
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:00 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should change the thread title to 'someone nearly killed themselves lastnight.'

I had some arse on sports bike, possibly a GSXR carrying a pillion hare past me in the same lane, he was so close I could've picked both their pockets.

You get some fannies so you do...

Thumbs Up
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

twostroketit
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:29 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like he was attempting assisted suicide to me. I don't think i would have missed him in all honesty,because i wouldn't be expecting him to appear on that side. I might have seen him when doing a mirror check to come back into lane two but i wouldn't have been specifically looking for him.
____________________
sup up your beer and collect your fags
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NexusDragon
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a tit! Thumbs Down

I see other bikers filter and undertake between gaps at 80mph+ on the motorway and wonder how on earth accidents dont happen, just like with cars pulling back in to the middle lane as with you. If traffic is starting to slow down then I'll filter but there's no need to be a dick when traffic is already travelling at a fair enough speed.
____________________
DAS Passed 19th April 08. 07' YBR125 > Yamaha FZ6 S2 '08 > 1998 YZF600R ThunderCat
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1016
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done beanfeast for such presence of mind... wonder if he even realises how close he was to a big one...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

s44678
Guest





PostPosted: 11:18 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kind of sh*t is commonplace in Italy. In one section on the A8 heading into Milan I saw about 4 bikes hammer it between cars and the central reservation (concrete wall of death) and many more than that filtering at about 120. Well lairy. But then the more they do it, the more drivers expect it and weirdly the safer it becomes.
 Back to top
You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was between Eastbourne and Brighton over the weekend and some of the bikes (though I don't recognise all makes and models!) were fantastic to look at, the riding was pretty good all round too. It's just a shame that there are a few around who give the rest of us a bad name.

On top of what happened to me with this rider, he was also wearing trainers and most likely I'm guessing his jeans weren't protective! Plus the motorway warning signs had just come on with a warning of debris on the road, normally I ignore these because the debris has always been cleared by the time I get there but it's a bit different when they've just come on! Turns out a trailer was on the hard shoulder missing a wheel!
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:26 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:
...some arse on sports bike...carrying a pillion hare...

Very Happy I've heard of biker pussy but not hare Confused
Possibly Briar Rabbit and one of his biker bunny friends?

Sorry it's off-topic but the use of the English language sometimes makes me smile.

Razz
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it was his/her own fault.

Somewhere on another forum there will be a thread "f*ckin' cager nearly killed me - probably a women".

Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably Ghostrider.
____________________
**WAS FITTED "WRONG WAY ROUND" !** CANT ACCOUNT FOR THE STUPID !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Re: I nearly killed someone last night... Reply with quote

Are you aware of how quickly a sports bike can stop from 120mph? It can bleed off speed incredibly quickly. Also, how quickly a big sports (litre class) bike can accelerate from 90mph to 120mph? Again, very quickly - so could
It may be that the rider wasn't aware of the situation. It may also be that they were fully aware and would have been able to easily stop in time when required.

I, like everyone else, tends to base my own ideas of what's safe or not on my own experiences, but I appreciate that often this may just mean that it's not an environment I'm comfortable with, rather than the activity being black-and-white 'dangerous'.

Beanfeast: were you wearing a safety helmet and five point harness? If not, seems rather 'dangerous' for you to be driving at these illegal speeds Wink.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
pa_broon74 wrote:
...some arse on sports bike...carrying a pillion hare...

Very Happy I've heard of biker pussy but not hare Confused
Possibly Briar Rabbit and one of his biker bunny friends?

Sorry it's off-topic but the use of the English language sometimes makes me smile.

Razz


Should've been 'hared past.' Sausage fingers missed the D at the end. From the story of the tortoise and the hare...

Or something... Might be a Scottish thing...

Thumbs Up
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:10 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Re: I nearly killed someone last night... Reply with quote

G wrote:
I, like everyone else, tends to base my own ideas of what's safe or not on my own experiences, but I appreciate that often this may just mean that it's not an environment I'm comfortable with, rather than the activity being black-and-white 'dangerous'.


G, I hope you're not trying to say in a rather round-about way that undertaking at over 100mph into a gap a car is about to move into, and is indeed indicating that it's about to move into is NOT black and white dangerous!

G wrote:
Beanfeast: were you wearing a safety helmet and five point harness? If not, seems rather 'dangerous' for you to be driving at these illegal speeds Wink.


What illegal speeds officer!? Confused Oh my original post! Well I never actually said my exact speed did I, and I have this strange way of over-estimating figures on these forums... Wink Twisted Evil
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Re: I nearly killed someone last night... Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:

G, I hope you're not trying to say in a rather round-about way that undertaking at over 100mph into a gap a car is about to move into, and is indeed indicating that it's about to move into is NOT black and white dangerous!

Approaching a situation like you described, could be perfectly 'safe' providing the rider has considered the situation and has an appropriate 'plan' to consider what to do if the car does continue to move into the space.

G wrote:
What illegal speeds officer!? Confused Oh my original post! Well I never actually said my exact speed did I, and I have this strange way of over-estimating figures on these forums... Wink Twisted Evil

Quote:
I was doing about 90 at this point

Quite an over-estimation, you should be careful with that Razz.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mac_Black
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way you have described it makes it sound quite bad, but hopefully for the riders sake he had more of an idea of what he was doing than you might believe.

I have filtered at up to 112mph on the motorway and sometimes on A roads before and in some situations it can be justified, believe it or not.
Admittedly I have made mistakes as well which have brought me into situations a bit hairier than I'd rather be in and I appreciate that some of maneuvers may well scare the living shite out of the road users I have passed but in allot of circumstances riders that get away with this sort of stuff tend to actually be quite skilled and capable, or just think they are...
I'm yet to find out which of those to class myself as but naturally I'm inclined to think I'm in the former. Mr. Green

Another thing that I've noticed after many more years of riding pillion than I ever have been actually riding myself, is that when a rider does something even half reminiscent of my own riding style I usually feel it's a bit dodgy to say the least.
Really after many years trying to explore the limits in many different ways I'd be happy to say that this sort of riding can actually be done safely, but those concerned must be switched on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

1016
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 11 May 2009    Post subject: Re: I nearly killed someone last night... Reply with quote

G wrote:

Approaching a situation like you described, could be perfectly 'safe' providing the rider has considered the situation and has an appropriate 'plan' to consider what to do if the car does continue to move into the space.


Have to say, am quite surprised by above comment, fellow back sufferer G - and particularly with your current avatar slogan - The Voice of Reason... I wasn't there to observe whole sequence, but beanfeast says he was indicating left (and actually trying to make life easier for following rider) just before 'gap-fill' manoeuvre happened. Surely this kind of riding is best saved for the track and, to me, is plain out-of-order on the road. Thumbs Down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 12 May 2009    Post subject: Re: I nearly killed someone last night... Reply with quote

I have been in a lot of situations where I have done stuff I'm confident I am perfectly safe in doing - I have a plan to act on should other vehicles change direction, etc - however I'd be willing to bet other road users have witnessed those actions and considered them 'dangerous'.

Pretty much everyone that rides a bike will have been in this situation - some people think just the act of riding a bike is dangerous.

I wondered if the OP had any experience of the capabilities of sports bikes from his signature.

An indicator, as I hope people on here realise, does not give you the right to move in to a space.
Close passing is discouraged on trackdays, though expected in racing.

Regardless, I was not suggesting the rights or wrongs of this situation specifically as I don't know what the rider was thinking - just offering an alternate possible view on it. It's perfectly possible the rider had the situation under perfect control, as such.

I didn't choose my custom title - it was set many years ago.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wozza
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 12 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for not killing him Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:43 - 12 May 2009    Post subject: Re: I nearly killed someone last night... Reply with quote

G wrote:
I wondered if the OP had any experience of the capabilities of sports bikes from his signature.

An indicator, as I hope people on here realise, does not give you the right to move in to a space.


You are right G I haven't had any experience of riding sports bikes, I just don't have an interest in that style of bike. I love naked and more upright bikes and the SLR I currently have is the fastest bike I've ridden - and will be until my restriction ends next year.
I hold my hands up and admit I've done daft things before now that I'm sure have made car drivers think I'm very stupid, and I suspect this is the same situation this biker put himself in too - only difference being I very much doubt he would have lived if he'd clipped my car. Whereas I tend to do daft things at lower speeds. Laughing

I understand where you're coming from but undertaking on a motorway when it's pretty empty anyway and almost getting killed is even worse than if it were busy and he would have been making up time, in this case he would have lost about 2 secs if he'd waited until I was out of his way.

And like you say, putting an indicator on doesn't give anyone any right to move automatically, in fact had he not been there I probably wouldn't have indicated at all - it was only for his benefit. Just image if I'd have been driving a BMW, he'd have had no chance!! Laughing
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 12 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is interesting in that if it had been a car making a similar manouvre (gaps widened relatively) no one would be trying to justify the driver's actions, indeed; the exact opposite would be the case.

Just the merest sensation of double standards...

Thumbs Up
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1016
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 12 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry pa - call me thick, am not understanding here, justifying which driver?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
1016.5 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
1016 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 12 May 2009    Post subject: Re: I nearly killed someone last night... Reply with quote

When I had my KLR I can remember seeing someone filtering at maybe 90-100mph and thinking 'whoa, nutter'. To do so on my KLR at the time was beyond mine and the bikes abilities.

As I got into sports bikes and became comfortable to them, I adapted and learnt - to the point I'd say I was more confident and safer filtering at 120mph on a sports bike than I was at 60mph on the trail-style bike.

Pa - bikers do tend to (including myself here) be hypocritical in regards to how they perceive other road users (not counting myself here) an obvious example being push-bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 13 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

1016 wrote:
Sorry pa - call me thick, am not understanding here, justifying which driver?


When a car driver pulls a stunt they're roundly pilloried but when a motorcyclist does something daft, some attempt to mitigate their actions.

Obviously this being a biker forum I suppose its inevitable. But it seems to me that while these things are all relative (as with G's cyclist anology) and experience has to be taken into consideration, (I would consider the actions of this biker to be daft, but I don't have a sports bike so...)

Because you can't account for the actions of other road users, filtering at 120mph on any type of bike is going to be dangerous.

Is what I was trying to convey.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.26 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 141.97 Kb