Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

People who have recently taken their test.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:59 - 25 May 2004    Post subject: People who have recently taken their test. Reply with quote

OK, due to severe lack of funds I'm only going to be able to afford one day of lessons before I do my test so I need to know what things they ask you to do on your test. The image I get is a more intense CBT.

Whilst I'm commuting I make sure that I check my mirrors ever lamp post of so, making sure I move my head. I do at least two full U-Turns a day to get into my street and to get in the work's compound. I need to practice my emergency stop but I reckon I'll be fine with that. So by my reckoning all that is left is a 30 minute ride around town. I'm confident on the road and always try to may sure that I position myself correctly for left handers and make sure that my right hand turn, at junctions, are done in two stages like taught on my CBT.

Is there anything else I should prepare myself for?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 11:05 - 25 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to make sure that you are doing all the observations correctly - but you should be able to sort that out in your lessons. It will be worth you practising your emergency stop. Also - moving off from behind a parked car (hint for the test: stop a fair distance behind the car to give yourself plenty of room) and hill start. Make sure you know the answers to the questions that they can ask you.

Other than that so long as you can ride you'll be fine. Thumbs Up

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 11:05 - 25 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enclosed is my test report, lists everything they examine you on.

Hope it helps. Smile

JeffT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:33 - 28 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope its ok to jump on board in this thread Smile

I have been riding bikes on and off for years off road, and on road for about 4.

I intend to do my test on a 125 very soon.
My old man is an ex Copper(for his sins!) and has taught me (Class 1 motorcyclist and IAM member).

I have been driving for 6 years also.
My road use is fine (due to my driving and lessons with Dad)

I am almost sorted but I am concerned about the idiosyncrasies of the test ie when you have to life saver etc.

A friend of mine that has just done DAS said he was taught that when you pull away from lights etc you must do a left and right life saver before pulling away. I can undersatnd this if making a turn but is it true when going straight on? Will the mirrors not surfice?

Also he was taught once he had done the emergancy stop that he had to then to a left life saver and "pedal" the bike to the side of the road. It seems crazy to me (the pedalling not the lifesaver).

Please could someone in the know confirm these for me, and also I would be greatful of any other procedures which I might not know about Smile

Hope someone can help, thanks in advanced

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 14:43 - 28 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky git for having a Class I motorcyclist dad!

Took my test in Sept. last year, there is nothing in any of the DSA books about making a left and right lifesaver before moving off, and I didn't do it and passed. Obviously if you are at the left of the road and you are pulling out to join traffic then do a right one.

As regards to the emergency stop, again I didn't "pedal" the bike to the side and I passed fine. I just went down the road as normal and performed the emergency stop in the middle of my lane, the examiner just said "yep good ok", I rode up to where he was standing and we continued. Don't do any lifesavers or mirror checks when doing the emergency stop, just hammer on the brake.

Good luck with your test, if you subtly mention your dad in the test you may get let off for some minor things, as the examiners are general ex-police too. Very Happy

JeffT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:47 - 28 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, I knew I could rely on this place!

Cheers again

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JeffT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:01 - 28 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which book will explain to me in detail the do's and donts that the test requires?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 16:01 - 28 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taught to do a right lifesave when oulling of from lights.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 16:08 - 28 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloces wrote:
Which book will explain to me in detail the do's and donts that the test requires?

Official Motorcycling, CBT, theory and practical test.

You can pick it up from Halfords.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 28 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent book! My dad bought it just before doing his test a few years back, and its been a great help to me Smile.

The main difference between the CBT and the full licence test is that if you balls something up on your CBT, the instructor tells you why you did it wrong and gets you to do it again.
The CBT is more of a education than a test. the full bike test is purely a fault finding exercise.

I'm 19 and currently have an old CB125, I passed my bike theory ages ago, and soon i want to take my bike test. So i was wondering, should i take lessons on my own bike, or one of the training centers?
What would the price difference be for lessons?

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:50 - 28 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:

In Leeds I asked about lessons and for one Hour on my bike would cost £16 on one of their bikes it would be £18.50. Not much difference really.

I'm going to do my test on my own bike, I've been commuting daily on it for around two or three months and feel like I know it inside out.

syris
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:34 - 29 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
Excellent book! My dad bought it just before doing his test a few years back, and its been a great help to me Smile.

The main difference between the CBT and the full licence test is that if you balls something up on your CBT, the instructor tells you why you did it wrong and gets you to do it again.
The CBT is more of a education than a test. the full bike test is purely a fault finding exercise.

I'm 19 and currently have an old CB125, I passed my bike theory ages ago, and soon i want to take my bike test. So i was wondering, should i take lessons on my own bike, or one of the training centers?
I would take it on your own bike because you know it best, i'm doing my lessons on my bike mainly because they dont have any cruisers. I pay £16 per hour and £28 for 2 hours.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:30 - 29 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that helps allot Smile.

Although i don't yet have a driving licence (due to bad luck on two car tests Wink) i am at a driving test passable standard and have been for the best part of a year now. i've got a 125 and have been riding that for over 6 months now.

So at a guess, how many lessons do you think i would need before doing my bike test?

I'm just trying to weigh up the costs at the moment so as i can get all my tests passed and look towards getting a bigger bike.

awj72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:19 - 29 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
I was taught to do a right lifesave when oulling of from lights.

me too, test soon, and I'm told whenever pulling away from either lights or junctions "left observation & right lifesaver" in case some tosser's whizzing up your outside, i suppose it's cos your mirrors don't cover everything

Confused

syris
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:27 - 29 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
So at a guess, how many lessons do you think i would need before doing my bike test?

No idea dude, best to ask your instructors advice I suppose, I've been on the road on L plates about 9 months and I took a couple of lessons before I went and got the bike (No CBT in Northern Ireland) learnt about lifesavers for turns, U-turns, emergency stop etc etc. But I reckon i'll need a good few more before my test.

tony532
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 29 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't pedal your bike after doing the emergency stop for gods sake

when doing the emergency stop:-

use the front brake then the back brake then pull the clutch in

before setting off select first gear

mirror check, life saver to the left then right and pull upto where the examiner puts his hand

BIKELESS STEVE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:33 - 01 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When doing an emegency stop imaging you were doing it for real!
the likelyhood is something will be travelling behind you and not be able to stop as quick as you. As soon as you come to a stop do a good right hand lifesaver (almost rotate in your seat) that way if a hoofin great lorry is screaching down the road behind you, you can abandon the bike and save your life. Peddling the bike to the side is so that you are out of harms way, if you've done an emegency stop you'll probably :
A) be very shaken up
B) be in the wrong gear, a combination of the 2 being you in the middle of the road, possibly stalled in 3rd gear in a dangerous position. Peddling to the side gets you out of harms way so you can sort out your gears without holding vehicles up.

I know I'm ranting on a bit but there's a lot of conflicting advice in these posts.

In the test he won't make you do a stop if something is behind you but wants to see how you react in that situation.

[/rant off/]
Cool

ShortR6
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 03:57 - 01 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEVEONE is 100% correct on the emergency stop. Only thing to add is if you are a short arse like me it is ok to get off the bike and push it to the side of the road. Once again making sure to do your checks before moving the bike an inch.

On the lifesavers at lights. You check both side because who knows who has pulled up on your sides while you have stopped. A cyclist might be on your left and motorbike on the right ready to sprint from the lights.

Remember on your test being safe is the key. That means not shaking you head from side to side thinking the more the better on lifesavers. You on a bike for god's sake so if it goes from a forty to a sixty show him you are on a bike and not in a car. You must prove you are safe, in control and not a danger to yourself or to any other road user.

That what I was taught last year and I passed with 2 minor.

Regards

Andy

Short and not sweet

tony532
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 01 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair point on the emergency stop in a real life situation.

i did the emergency stop the way i was shown to on my lessons

and didnt get any minors on it.

i passed last wednesday.

that was just the way i had been tought how to do it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1