BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scary moments....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 01:40 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh the reason youve never had to worry about making it back in is your bike probably accelerates twice as fast in 6th from 30 to 80 odd then my bike. And i never said you were a bad rider, what narks me off is you say i am, because ill admit to doing dumb shit. To be old and sensible you gotta be young and stupid first. I know i do dumb stuff but i never think hang on a minute am i in control, i dont think they blatantly are going to stay in that lane at that speed forever, and ask people ive had on the back, when someone has done something stupid, i slowed down, worked out what they were doing then went past.

Plus ive been riding a year, and i can ride immaculately when i want to, lots of lifesavers, keeping to speed limits, slowing for ALL junctions, but i choose to mix that with when i hit nice straight be it with sparse traffic or empty i will open up as much as possible to a degree that is safe.Also you dont know the roads i mention, The A602 in my area is a huge speeding area, the white way, which had the bus thing deserves it 20 mph speed limit at one end blatantly as its built up, twisty and poor vis, the bit i was speeding on has walls on both sides of the road about 4 foot from the curb, and is very straight with like one intersection and the road it very wide.

Im not a complete arsehole braggin about doing 90 through a school zone at kicking out time or something. I know where insanity begins, but yeah at the moment i dont have enough restraint on the speed in some areas. Plus as i was still unused to speed on an unfaired bike accelerating, i was possibly only doing 50 odd. im not sure.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 01:57 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Meh the reason youve never had to worry about making it back in is your bike probably accelerates twice as fast in 6th from 30 to 80 odd then my bike.

You can overtake just as safely on a 125cc as you can on a bigger bike, just means you have to chose different places/times to overtake etc. When my old ZXR was having some, er Laughing running difficulties and stuck at a 65mph top end Embarassed I was still over-taking perfectly safely.

Quote:
And i never said you were a bad rider, what narks me off is you say i am, because ill admit to doing dumb shit.

No no no no, sorry didn't say you was a bad rider and if it come across that way then I DO apologize there, there IS a difference between riding badly and riding dangerously. 70 in a 20 IS dangerous, 20mph zones are put there for a reason, and just because others may break the limit, doesn't make it right/legal/justified. Anyone else doing 70 through there is just as bad.

Quote:

To be old and sensible you gotta be young and stupid first. I know i do dumb stuff but i never think hang on a minute am i in control, i dont think they blatantly are going to stay in that lane at that speed forever, and ask people ive had on the back, when someone has done something stupid, i slowed down, worked out what they were doing then went past.

Yeah you say young and stupid, but not being funny, I'm only 18, so yeah I'm young to and I'd be a lieing twat if I said I didn't speed and take some risks etc, but I try to minimalise them, even if for the sake of not getting done by cops and losing my licence! I do break speed limits around town, in a way yep that makes me almost as bad as you BUT I don't do 3 times over the limit around town. I tend to do 40 in a 30, 50 in a 40 etc unless conditions prove otherwise (i.e. lots of traffic, area of lots of people/shops/schools etc)

Quote:
Plus as i was still unused to speed on an unfaired bike accelerating, i was possibly only doing 50 odd. im not sure.

50mph is a LOT different to 70, if you'd have made your mind up and said 50 in the first place, to be honest no one would have said much, 50 is still a bit silly but it's not /as/ silly and I bet a fair few/most people would do around that IF THE CONDITIONS were safe, which in your case, they weren't! as the bus caught you out Wink just put it down to experience, happens to everyone at some point ! Thumbs Up

GSXR
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:12 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

<hijack>
YamsR6 wrote:
I'm only 18

Ffs how much is your insurance?
</hijack>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZZ-Rse
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:17 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can empathise with the pheasant, went through a hedge a few years back after one of the sods decided to try and climb through my visor as I approached a corner on the a4155 between Henley and Reading.
Single nastiest moment was probably the rear tyre deflating rather explosively on the M6 near Junction 9, thankfully an artic noticed me suddenly go bolt upright and struggle to maintain steady decelleration in an attempt to keep the tyre on the rim long enough to get down from 90ish to a safe jumping speed and out of the outside lane, with his bulk behind me and hazard lights going I managed to actually cruise it to a stop.
Crashing hurts a fair bit, but it's usually fast. Sitting on that bike wondering what the hell was going to happen for the minute or three it took to stop was truly nasty though.
Typical man I guess, always wants to get to the action as fast as possible Wink

GSXR
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:30 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my scary moment but scary all the same...

Tonight I was heading home from a delightful evening shopping at Safeway with the wife in the car. We were travelling behind a 4x4 approaching a blind left hander and my wife says "Oh God no!" as a bike comes past me at the same time as a car appears around the bend in the opposite direction. We all shuffled over a bit and Twat~1 made it. Guess what? His twat mate followed him. I braked gently and pulled as far in as possible, the approaching car braked and put his nearside wheels on the grass and 'twat~2' made it past as well.

They then both went round the left hander with their arses hanging off and their legs waving in the wind - following the 4x4 at very rural speed - they looked *just* like Rossi. Doh!

They both then passed the 4x4 on the approach to a blind brow Confused Luckily nothing appeared over the brow and off they went on their invincible way.

Just goes to show that there are more idiots than just us around. Or maybe it was two of you....?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 09:57 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZZ-Rse wrote:
I can empathise with the pheasant, went through a hedge a few years back after one of the sods decided to try and climb through my visor as I approached a corner on the a4155 between Henley and Reading.

I have a mate who's "badly damaged" 2 bikes due to pheasants, first his NC30 went through a hedge after hitting one , then another pheasant ruined his Ducati's fairings.

Then the night he got his freshly painted ducati back on the road Laughing we went for a rideout and narrowly missed, another pheasant! Laughing

GSXR, my insurance cost me £1095 + finance Confused

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yams, wise words from a young head, nice one. Wow, £1095 for insurance, ouch! Shocked

Glad i'm not the only one to have been attacked by those pesky pheasants.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 11:21 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:

Glad i'm not the only one to have been attacked by those pesky pheasants.

It was so funny watching my mate swerve to miss the phesant on his spankingly gorgeous ducati that he'd literally, that evening, got back on the road Laughing then he turned around and I could see the fear in his eyes Laughing

clemsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:07 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

priller wrote:
missjudging an overtake. 1st overtaking a lorry and finding a car comming the other way, wasn't too bad, just went between them but was a bit close.

I did the same thing a couple of months ago in the wet, car was flashing his lights, i just got my head down and waited for the bright white light, but it never came. Twisted Evil

bunny-chan
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

You didn't sell that bike on Ebay about 9 months ago did you? Think I recognise the picture.

Not sure they really should be able to invalidate you insurance for carrying a pillion. I would definatly chase that one a bit further,

All the best

Keith

Actually, we did! We didn't expect to get as much as we did for it!
We have chased it with professional bike claims people and have found that there is a massive "If you ride with a pillion, it will invalidate....". My boyfriend never read it to the end though, that will teach him for being to eager to get on his bike! Bless him, that was his first bike.

In response to suicidal birds, my dad had an owl fly into him Laughing

In response to speeding, accidents can happen regardless of the speed, ours happened and we were only doing 30mph. I say do what you've got to do, the insurance companies are just looking for any excuse to put money up so I don't blame those of you who are thrill seekers. don't live your lives the way that companies try to dictate to you! Middle Finger them!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 12:59 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunny-chan wrote:

"If you ride with a pillion, it will invalidate....". .

I say do what you've got to do, the insurance companies are just looking for any excuse to put money up so I don't blame those of you who are thrill seekers. don't live your lives the way that companies try to dictate to you! Middle Finger them!

Laughing the reason they put that in as you cannot react as well etc etc, ive done alot of riding with pillions the last few days and its horrid, altho mainly determined by the quality of the pillion (and my midget midget seat none can stay on) it is far harder then one up. Plus they know people will try and save the extra couple of quid and not have that on their insurance if they are just going to have pillions on occasion.

As for the second part i agree whole heartedly Twisted Evil however its twats like in gsxr's post that give biking a bad name. IMVHO straight line speed and overtaking on the straight is generally safe in the right areas, doing it too much round the lanes is just stupid.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 13:49 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonny - you say that the bus caught you by surprise. Yet you also say that the road is straight and wide with good visability. Now please excuse me if I'm being stupid here, but aren't buses generally pretty fucking big and hard to miss?

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:53 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Bonny - you say that the bus caught you by surprise. Yet you also say that the road is straight and wide with good visability. Now please excuse me if I'm being stupid here, but aren't buses generally pretty fucking big and hard to miss?

Good point! Thumbs Up And well made Very Happy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:56 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Most things are not scary, as if they are truly bad you do not have time to get scared until afterwards.

Running a sheep over was not fun though, and nor was doing a jump into a potato field.

All the best

Keith

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scariest moment for me has to be overtaking a van on a corner and suddenly seeing a fuggof skip lorry coming the other way. I went between both vehicles with a few inches to spare Cool

Close second is the time I was racing a mate down the local drag strip and as we get to the end and turn round I see a black unmarked Volvo Police ....copper got out and swiped my keys too Neutral

Had a few "Oooh shit" moments on rideouts etc. The norm really I suppose. Funnily enough the times I have actually crashed I wasn't scared Confused How does that work? Laughing

Mr. Green

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 14:20 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:

No what caught me by surprise was it JUST stopping then like a second later two old people doddered from behind it, so either they legged it from the back of the bus, to the front, out the side along to the back and THEN started doddering it was a tad surprising to be confronted by them, plus i also said its a sweeping curve, its good vis to a degree, but you cant see the entire length of the road or anything. That said the end i was on SHOULD be a 40, whereas the other end deserves its being a 20, however much fun doing 50 down it used to be.

timelimit
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:39 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know if anyone lives in the bexley area but a few weeks back there was a front page story about a bike getting hit by a car, and the bike was ripped in half Shocked
I'll try scanning it in if i can get a hold of it

Bikerbabe
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the last scary moment i had but i can remember a few that stuart has had. The first time on a roundabout when getting his knee down and some guy pulled out in front of him which forced him off the bike which than out right over him, bike oil all over the road ( we did get a lift back in a farrari Laughing )
The second time was when i had to go to the hospital after a phone call from stuart saying he was involved in an accident, I think he had to have a brain scan as he didnt know where he was! the past 5 hours he was saying the same things, ( a bit scary cos one of our mates are now in a wheel chair after a bike accident)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3