Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

road racing help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

tater
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:30 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: road racing help Reply with quote

hi all, im just about to start track racing on my aprilia, when i finish spraying it e.t.c, i live in the midlands and im about to book my ACU test.

Has anyone on here done it and is the written bit hard?

Is anyone a member of EMRA club, is this a good club?

And whats the best thing to start with because i can ride a motorbike, use to have a RS 125 on the road, and i ride mx but never been on a race track, i know i can ride but i dont really know the lines and i know i will be slow, should i do a track day or just go for a practice at mallory and how long should i leave it before starting racing because i dont want to be laught at and be lapped about 5 times?

any advice is great!

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the Isle of Man highlights on TV at the moment and look at thier lines etc. I'd like to do a track day too providing it wasn't on my bike!

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:13 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G has done his ACU licence, I'm sure he can answer when he's along later.

If I were you, I'd get a few trackdays in before committing to racing though, nothing like a trackday to tell you if you're genuinely fast or not. Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:16 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Re: road racing help Reply with quote

I did the test with BMCRC, they actually told us the answers...ie is it
a) something or other
b) something or other
<shouted>c) this one here</shouted>
d)or this one

I suspect the ACU it's self will be a bit more strict, but I doubt they'll let you go until you've passed.

You will also have to have done a race/track school... which was included in the bemsee day for me.

What bike do you intend to be riding?
Expect to be left behind at mallory.

Personally I'd do a few track days before starting racing... doesn't seem anypoint if you're just getting left behind; it's also a fair bit more expensive than trackdays.

Presuming you're on a 250cc or faster bike, by the point you can hold your own in the fast group on track days you should be at about the right speed for racing.

I've checked my lap times and they would put me about at the bottom end of bemsee rookies; providing there's someone I can chase I'm not really bothered Smile.

Where are you located?
That's probably the major thing in choosing which club to ride with. I have heard some Thumbs Down things about new era, but also some Thumbs Up .. and the same for bemsee etc.

Just noticed you mentioned on your aprilia. Is this the road 125?
If so the only class that it will be competitive in is the superteens thingamy. Most 125cc classes are gp ones, which will have mostly bikes with half the weight and 50% more power. Also you will have to do quite a lot of work to it to get it sligtly competitive I suspect (npot sure of the regs though, so don't quote me on that).

tater
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:20 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice, i've brought a aprilia rs 250 track bike. i just thought i would practice a bit and then have a few races at mallory to get me ready for next year, i will do a track day and see how that goes and i will try and get some rookie 400 lap times and compare to my mallory practice times and see how i am doing before i race, cheers mate

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:53 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we'll be doing a few more track days in the year if you want to join in Smile.

I've got an rs250 (road though, bit down on power from stock road as well) which I'll be doing some track days on this year, so it'd be nice to have some one to play with Smile.

Is your bike tuned? You will need to know what you're doing as far as general maintenance and tweaking; or have someone that does.

You want to look at being able to hold your own the fast group on smaller tracks at least on a tuned rs250 I would have thought... though I was lapping cadwell at 2mins on a KR1s with a knackered rear shock; there was a rs250 going significantly faster than me.

Depending on your experience and previous riding expeiences you may find it takes a while to get used to; initially it will probably be a bit of a shock how fast you can go whatever.

tater
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:41 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if it is tuned but i will speak to the shop about it, i would say its been tweaked like spark plugs, mixing pre mix in tank, arrows race exhausts but not sure about the engine.

yeah im looking at a track day in the next few weeks when the bike is ready and i get my licence. But yeah it would be good to meet up with you at a track day so you could teach me a thing or too Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1