Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

restoring bike that has never ran in 20 years..segestions???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

zxcvbnm
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 04:56 - 27 Jul 2009    Post subject: restoring bike that has never ran in 20 years..segestions??? Reply with quote

im restoring a 1973 honda cb175 that has never ran in 20 years and is seized. do u think i have any hope of restoration? and how would i un seiz it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 06:03 - 27 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the drain plug out, drain the water/oil mix.

Reinstall plug, remove spark plugs, fill cylinders with 50/50 mix of ATF & acetone. Replace plugs. Walk away for a week.

Gawain
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 06:48 - 27 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll certainly have to clean the carbs if fuel was left in, ditto for fuel tank. New tires, hoses. Ultimately it also depends on how much damage occured from the sieze and neglect before that.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:08 - 27 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably miss out the acetone to be honest. It's really good at destroying rubber seals if it gets into the sump.

But yes, whip the head off it and see how much damage is done in there. If the barrels are seized on, soaking in some form of light oil for an extended period would be an idea. I've also known people to pour hot engine oil down the affected cylinder.

You're looking at a minimum of a rebore and the next size up piston kit. Handily www.davidsilverspares.co.uk has LOADS of spares in stock for them and they are well cheap. They have genuine honda +0.25, +0.5 and +1.0 piston kits. Both sides for £18. That's mind bogglingly cheap!

If the head, cam, crank and casings are good, there is no more than 1mm deep scoring on the barrels and the frame isn't rotted to buggery, sounds like you've got yourself an ideal project Thumbs Up. They were well regarded bikes as I recall and very collectable.

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:52 - 27 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

baaa you lot are all misery, bung a bit of wd40 down the plug holes and give it a good o'l kick it may free off ok, if not try putting it into top gear and knocking the backwheel forwards and back. Ive freed off a fair few bikes that have siezed from standing like this and as long as they have a spark squirt a bit of easy start in the airbox or carbs if you can, kick it over and she might fire up (all mine have) worst one was a cz125 sport that had been standing outside since 1973/4 full of water lol still got it going without taking it apart!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zxcvbnm
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:40 - 27 Jul 2009    Post subject: restoring 1973 honda cb175 Reply with quote

yea mines been sitting out side too and snowed on. i also have one more problem: the wheels are seized and the chain is soooooo tight and rusty...... any idea's how to break those loose?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:00 - 28 Jul 2009    Post subject: Re: restoring 1973 honda cb175 Reply with quote

zxcvbnm wrote:
yea mines been sitting out side too and snowed on. i also have one more problem: the wheels are seized and the chain is soooooo tight and rusty...... any idea's how to break those loose?

Take the wheels off. You'll need to strip the brakes anyway.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 28 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might strike lucky like me and after changing the fluids it fires 2nd kick and not a whiff of blue smoke. Then again i'm impatient Rolling Eyes
Stood for 10-15yrs
[EDIT] Just read your post properly... Embarassed Looks like its the toolbox for you

Pat

Last edited by Howling Terror on 00:30 - 28 Jul 2009; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

zxcvbnm
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:12 - 28 Jul 2009    Post subject: restoring 1973 honda cb175 Reply with quote

and do u think any of the wires would be rusted and not grounding properly?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:15 - 28 Jul 2009    Post subject: Re: restoring 1973 honda cb175 Reply with quote

zxcvbnm wrote:
and do u think any of the wires would be rusted and not grounding properly?

Almost certainly. The points are probably all corroded too if it's sat outside for 20 years.

zxcvbnm
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:17 - 28 Jul 2009    Post subject: restoring 1973 honda cb175 Reply with quote

ughh.. gona probly be a big job then
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1