Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do you lot know so much?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:09 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: How do you lot know so much? Reply with quote

Well, the title gives away what i'm asking doesn't it.

Is it just experience or did you read up on it or were you born this way? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 02:03 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listen to what others say and absorb. Though really, I know shit about bikes. Very Happy

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:16 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing there are two main types of mechanically minded experts here.
1)Those who have bodged, from an early age, and learned as they go, referring to service manuals, and other mechanics when they needed help.
2)Those who are qualified mechanics, and learned that way.

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:39 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a fair bit about mopeds/scooters and also 2 stroke's as up to now that's about all i've had but once i get a 4 stroke i will pull that apart and learn about them. I used to pull bike apart when i was kid, i rarely knew what i was doing but i did learn. Also haynes manuals are good but can be confusing if you don't know much especially the part on gearboxes Confused .

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born clutching a Haynes manual.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:51 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like all things, last year I joined a computer forum, I can now take apart a computer and work on it.

I only got my bike a month ago and found this forum a few days ago and hopefully can learn a lot here as well! I already know how a 2 stroke engine works, just from visiting this forum site. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Valentino Mossy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1)Those who have bodged, from an early age, and learned as they go, referring to service manuals, and other mechanics when they needed help.

whoo thats me alright ! Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:07 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:

About the same thing in my experience.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:

1)Those who have bodged, from an early age, and learned as they go.

That is the route I am taking, can be scary at times Laughing Also hanging around in technical sections can help you gain lots of knowledge Thumbs Up

Actually if you read every one of kickstarts posts, you will have all the bike knowledge in the world Razz

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:10 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:

Probably number one, but I learned a LOT from my dad! Very Happy

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:44 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some basic mechanics. I know how an engine works and whatnot but its really how you guys learnt about what different bikes do. Have you ridden them all or is it all learnt from magazines and reviews and stuff?

I'd have to say i learnt a little bit from my Dad about bikes. I remember a book I got as a 5 year old about how engines work. It had pull out things and wheels to spin and everything. Was a great book. Also used to play around with one of our old cars. Was a 60s Ford Cortina I think. Pre-electrical gizmos. Just an engine and wheels. Good times.

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also another way, which i'm based on and that's fix it when it's broken cause you ain't paying someone to rip you off for doing it for you.

Manuals are great but once you've done a few jobs the rest sort of fits into place and you know what things do, how they work etc.. basically common sense after a while.

The best way to learn is to bodge & fix.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:18 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds really stupid, but when I built my Petrol remote control car in some ways it is the same as a bike, uses a petrol motor, on a much smaller scale, but everything connects together in similar proportions! Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset Scratcher wrote:
It's like all things, last year I joined a computer forum, I can now take apart a computer and work on it.

I only got my bike a month ago and found this forum a few days ago and hopefully can learn a lot here as well!....

Yes, that sounds familiar to me too! Wink

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:04 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thats my plan. I'm getting a CG next week (probably/hopefully/I'd better or someone will die) and a haynes manual. Heard its good toilet reading! Razz

Least with a CG I know you can get parts dead cheap

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 00:07 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:

Yes, that sounds familiar to me too! Wink

Is that how you learnt?! Confused Smile

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read and learned no end of good advice from computer and motorbike forums...
I built complete computer systems within a few months of starting some research, but as for the biking, I'm still only just starting out...
but this forum seems to be one of the best!! Very Happy

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 00:39 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just started learning about bikes, so we are both in the same boat! Smile

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:43 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing with computers is that when you are testing your new upgrades/system builds, there is a lot less chance that something will go wrong at 60mph+ and hurl you into a bush.
Unless you are building some serious systems Laughing

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 00:45 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
The good thing with computers is that when you are testing your new upgrades/system builds, there is a lot less chance that something will go wrong at 60mph+ and hurl you into a bush.
Unless you are building some serious systems Laughing

No but the whole process of reformatting feels like you are travelling at 6mph not 60 Laughing

It took me 6 hours to completely reformat my PC for the first time! Smile

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Very Happy Very Happy I'm willing to take the risk once I get my CBR Wink

...I need a new challenge to keep the old grey matter working - plus the added advantage of the grin factor while riding!!

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:56 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I know anything is this site to be honest! Oh, with mechanical stuff I have my tutor at college, erm, for knowing about an engine that would be college (6th form physics) and most helpful stuff I get off here, I try to look clever by quoting what I've heard before! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Craig G(Noggin)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 317 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1