|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Hawke |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Hawke Derestricted Danger
Joined: 24 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:40 - 24 Aug 2009 Post subject: Hi!! New to biking, but slight problem |
 |
|
Hey everyone!!
I'm new to biking and new to the site, so just thought i'd say hi!!
Just thought i'd ask for an opinion on the matter while i'm here: I did my CBT last week, however I had a bit of an issue I understood all the theory of everything, that wasn't a problem, but when it came to riding properly i struggled with my co-ordination, trying to do everything at once...for the road bit my instructor put me out on a scooter (he said it would be better if I get my CBT regardless, so then I can practice myself and all that) and that was fine seeing as I had much less to think about.
I was considering getting something like a Gilera DNA 125 to get some practice on before moving up to a geared bike, or do you think it would be better if I bite the bullet and get myself a geared 125 bike and just practice until it all becomes second nature? And if so, what bike would you recommend?
Obviously I don't want to do anything that is unduly dangerous (to myself or other road users), but I'm definitely not giving up!!
Would appreciate any opinions on the matter.
Thanks!!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rob_scott92 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rob_scott92 Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 28 Mar 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:21 - 24 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi m8, welcome!
I did my CBT on a scooter and didn't get a bike untill 9 months afterwards but going for a geared bike was a very good decision, if you think about it, if your serious about biking then you're gonna have to have a geared bike at some point so you might aswell get it over with . Plus, no-one likes the DNA lol
Have you got someone you can practice out on the road with? perhaps a mate or family member as that'll really help you alot. if you don't then i'd practice as much as possible off the road. Getting used to the clutch was my main problem, even though my uncle was riding with me at the time, i still managed to stall it at every set of traffic lights .
Basically just make sure you can do the main things, moving off, stopping without stalling and changing gear etc and you should be fine
Rob  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| wizzzard |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 wizzzard World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Mar 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:21 - 24 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hello and welcome to BCF.
As I said in the other post of a similar subject I did my CBT on an auto and figured out the gears myself later. Some people just find it much easier without someone stood over their shoulder so you may find that they come to you really easy when you try them on your own.
If it's just a matter of co-ordination I'd say buy a geared bike and practice a lot somewhere safe. Once you get the hang of it you'll be glad that you didn't go auto.
Best of luck and not giving up is definitely the right spirit  ____________________ And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
Zeitgeist / Addendum / Moving forward |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| metalangel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 metalangel World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Feb 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:26 - 24 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
So did you get your CBT in the end?
If you're still not sure DON'T BUY ANYTHING but instead go back to the bike school and do a few lessons on their geared 125. ____________________ Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Hawke |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Hawke Derestricted Danger
Joined: 24 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:35 - 24 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thank you all for your help!! Much appreciated.
From what you guys are saying, it sounds like getting a geared bike would definitely be the best way to go. I'm sure with enough practice i'll get the hang of it anyway
Unfortunately Rob none of my family or friends ride (yet ), however I live in quite a remote area, so finding a safe place to practice shouldn't be too much of a problem And you're right, I've got to learn at some point!
And wizzzard, I think you're probably right about the "having someone stood over your shoulder" thing, it probably would be a lot easier without Makes sense, less pressure and all that
And yes, I did pass my CBT, I just did the road section on scooter rather that on a geared bike. (I know it's not a pass/fail thing but you know what I mean )
So that settles it! I think I'll give a geared bike a go!! Now I need to decide which bike Knowing me that could take a whiiiile...
Thanks again for all the help!!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rob_scott92 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rob_scott92 Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 28 Mar 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:32 - 24 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
cool m8, good to hear that you've decided to go for a geared bike
Good luck with the ol' practicing, and don't be poppin no wheelies on your first ride out haha
Rob  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Martay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Martay World Chat Champion
Joined: 20 May 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:37 - 25 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi,
i done the same mate, not had a problem yet!
When i took my CBT the only experiance of a geared bike was stalling a friends CG125.
Took the CBT on a geared bike, and currently still riding one, 9 months later, with no major problems.
Just practice and it'll come to ya  ____________________ Eat well, poo hard
Drives: Cavalier 2.0 16v
Rides: Slightly ratted Honda City Express  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Hawke |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Hawke Derestricted Danger
Joined: 24 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:08 - 25 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks Rob! Haha, I'll try to resist the urge!!
Brilliant Martay, so it can be done! And it'll definitely be worth it in the end!
Thanks for the vote of confidence from you guys, can't wait to get my bike now!!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wilson123 |
This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Wilson123 Nearly there...

Joined: 19 Jun 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gusto |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gusto Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 16 Dec 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|