Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

anyone had there bike nicked?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

tony532
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: anyone had there bike nicked? Reply with quote

hi all

at half one in the morning on sunday as i was watching the football
highlights i saw a low loader outside the house with my bike on the back

ran outside and the bloke said that the police had caught someone trying to steal my bike and it was being taken away for finger print testing

noticed the left wing mirror was smashed and a crack in the screen

gave a statement sunday morning when the police came round at 8 o clock and i had about half an hours sleep Sad

have rang local garage and they said they can pick it up and do a damage assesment e.tc

just wondered the best way i can go about making the thief pay for the damage on my bike

he will pay for any scratch on my bike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:59 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first bike - a KMX125 - was nicked from my front garden while I was out. There was a long rubber mark down the path where it had obviously been dragged with the wheel lock still on.

Truth is neither you nor the police (who have very little interest in this sort of crime) are ever likely to find out who did it.

Best thing you can do is improve your security. Keep it in a garage, ground anchor, alarm, etc, etc...

Crying or Very sad

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best you can hope for is to try to take him/her to a small claims court. though I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting anything of them Confused

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 21:07 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last R6 was stolen over 2 nights. The 1st night they came and stripped the bodywork. Stole the alarm and wrecked the wiring and steering lock as well.

The next night they came and stole the bike from my garage even with a chain through the wheel and frame and two cars infront of the garage.

The cars had scratches down them and there was a hugh rubber mark along the drive as well.

The police didn't even bother to come and take a look or anything, and it took them long enough and lots of nagging to get anything useful from them!

It took 6month for my pay out as well, and then 18months later the bike was found 150miles away in Coventry! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i've always had motocross bikes, people attempting to get in my garage isn't anything new.
Every night the cars are parked up next to the door and it is impossible to get it out as theres only 1 way in and out.
On one occasion, they actually got into the garage, realised they couldn't get the bike out, made a bit of a mess and ran away.
Now its alarmed as theres too much moneys worth in there! Rolling Eyes

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 21:12 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ts50 was stolen before christmas. Havent heard anything of it since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tony532
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for any replys

seems my best bet is to go round to his house and take it directly out of his wallet

this isnt too much of a problem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeyC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

had my NSR nicked from outside my old workplace, cops found it an hour later, minus a lock barrel

tony532
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i cant understand is this

if someone knocked your bike over smashed the wing mirror off e.t.c and they admitted doing this

you could take the bike to a garage have them repair it and send them the bill for repairs

why can i not get the address of the person that tried to walk away with my bike and dropped it when the police caught them in the act and do exactly the same thing?

or can i?

Slavo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:38 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they will give you that information mate.

A while ago, I had my fishing gear and my stereo nicked out of my car. The police caught him (heroin addict) and wouldn't give me his details to protect both mine and his safety.

Not at all happy, just something we have to learn from. You have to catch them at it yourself. If you do, and you lose your temper (as I no doubt would). Once they're on the floor bleeding from that bar falling from the sky, go put a bread knife in his hand Wink Self-defense, you feared for your life as he lunged at you with what you thought was a sword as it all happened so quickly.

Last edited by Slavo on 23:39 - 14 Jun 2004; edited 1 time in total

billy whizz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:38 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something nicked my ke125 many moons ago, they cut down a lamp post to get it?!! police found it 2 weeks later up a dirt track and left it! By the time i got there some other twat had taken it Evil or Very Mad So much for the police Rolling Eyes

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:41 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence to her majesty's Police force, but it is terrible at dealing with things like this, my bike got smashed on Fri night, I went to the police and all they said was "There is nothing we can do about it"

10 minutes later I was getting done for dangerous driving on a RESTRICTED Moped. Rolling Eyes
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:45 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crime is low in Devon, although I still chain/garage/lock down my bike whenever possible, but so far, nothing has been done to it, well okay once some kids put a small pink bracelet on the clutch lever, but that was cool Thumbs Up

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:47 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as you are over the border into Somerset, things must get out of hand! Laughing
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
last hope This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

tony532
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 15 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will get justice

i will have every scratch on my bike paid for by this bastard

skyline
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:24 - 15 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh lock your exhauts to lads n lasses. went to school on my bike for a 3 hour exam. left it in front of the church today. come out of my exam to find some thef had stole my exhaust silencer and my k and n kit Shocked i just cannot belive how low some people can so, they even wrecked a plasic getting to the bloody exhaust Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 15 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope,

And if anyone try'd i'd shoot them in the face.

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 15 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a bike nicked but have had three cars stolen! On one occasion, after it had been missing for three weeks, I saw it drive right past me! I followed it for a few miles until it parked up outside a house and the driver went in.

I phoned the police (who were clearly having a quiet day) and in no time a panda and area car arrived. I showed them the car - they did a VNC check and told them the house of the driver. They knocked on the door and the thief answered it! He said he had bought it for £200 but they arrested him anyway. A week later we got the car back, none to worse for wear. It turned out he was done for handling stolen goods, was an illegal immigrant and was subsequently deported.

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:28 - 15 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live 5 minutes from Reading main police station.
My RD125LC was nicked from my back garden *sob* and the police didn't even bother to come round.
Never saw her again...

I agree, bike thieves are scum, but don't do anything that will get you into more trouble than they get for nicking your bike in the first place!

RaVeR_mt50
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:38 - 15 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlamp wrote:
Never had a bike nicked but have had three cars stolen! On one occasion, after it had been missing for three weeks, I saw it drive right past me! I followed it for a few miles until it parked up outside a house and the driver went in.

I phoned the police (who were clearly having a quiet day) and in no time a panda and area car arrived. I showed them the car - they did a VNC check and told them the house of the driver. They knocked on the door and the thief answered it! He said he had bought it for £200 but they arrested him anyway. A week later we got the car back, none to worse for wear. It turned out he was done for handling stolen goods, was an illegal immigrant and was subsequently deported.

heh nice story glad to hear someone getting there property back Mr. Green Thumbs Up

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 15 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have actually caught someone for it and successfully prosecute, you can claim compensation for any damages caused.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that your insurance company may be able to use a guilty party in a third party claim. Remember though that anything you are awarded can arrive in dribs and drabs as the likelihood of them saying they can pay it all at once and actually doing so is slim.

They will usually have their name and address read out in court, not that I'm suggesting you do anything with it! Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1