Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

in need of some advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

littlerossi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:14 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: in need of some advice Reply with quote

i know quite a bit about bikes and mechanics, but i have no idea about getting myself on to the road! I have a few unanswered questions if anyone can answer them!
1. Roughly how much am i looking at?
2. Can i just take a 125cc( i'm 17) i dont want a 50cc
3. Where can i find relatively cheap bikes ( i dont care about their image)
4. Is insurance going to be CRAZY for me?
5. What is involved in the test?

Anyone who can help me please do! I would be grateful of it! Very Happy Cheers
xXx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 13:20 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get an old 125 on ebay for next to nothing and for your insurance just talk to Danny.

To get a 125 you just need to do a CBT which is a one day course and costs about £100.

For everything including a bike, clothing, insurance and a test can be got for under a grand.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

littlerossi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:28 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks kev
Doesn't seem too bad eh? I thought i'd be lookin at way more! Now to find a bike lol

rsooty
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:33 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll base this on how im doing it.
I'm buying a CBR 125R for £2345 and getting the following:-
Datatag-£150
Package inc protective jacket, waterproof trousers, gloves, helmet, CBT and 3 pieces of security (anchor chain and lock) £390
3rd party insurance is £660

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:49 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experiance the best place to get cheap 125's locally is to ask your local bike shop's, on many occasions theyve provided us with cheap MOT'd / Non Mot'd bikes from between £130 (Running NS125R needing some electric work) to £400 (95' CG125 with 13000 miles and good MOT), also Ebay like Kev says, but buying cars / bikes from there is always an unknown quantity and If you are going to buy from there its recomened you view before you bid.

You can hop on a 125 at 17 as long as you have a valid CBT (BAsic Training to ensure you are safe enough for the road) which costs about £70, and a Provisional Lisense which costs about £30 (I think the price for them changed recently). nip down your local post office and ask for an application form for one, and speak to you local bike shop about the nearest place that can offer you a CBT.
Insurance shoudn't be at all bad if you get something oldish and basic (For example CG125, or GS125 and some of the older 2 strokes), I would think if you have a sensible bike it would be about £200 - £300 at the most.

I cant comment on the Bike test as I havent done it myself, but I should imagen what the instructor will be looking for is the type of riding you were trained to do on your CBT.

Good luck with getting on two wheels, and hopefully you will be on the road soon Thumbs Up .
Cheers, Jonathan
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1