Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

is the crm 125 engine the same as a nsr 125? please help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

rickscrm
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:24 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: is the crm 125 engine the same as a nsr 125? please help Reply with quote

hi there
ive brought a crm 125 and the gearbox has gone the shop has stripped it down and said its going to cost far to much to repair when i brought the bike the seller told me they have a nsr125rr engine in them is this true? if so could i just put a nsr engine straight in it? the garage said i cant use nsr gearbox parts as there diffrent but ive seen workshop manuals that are for the crm/nsr so im thinking they must be the same but the nsr are electric start and the crm is kick start any help would be great cheers
oh yea the crm is a italian import
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sumpgard
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

what engine code does it have i have a italian import mtx this has a ns engine the engine code is under the gear leaver post some pictures my code is tc-02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:19 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: is the crm 125 engine the same as a nsr 125? please help Reply with quote

Very similar. The CRM is kickstart and the NSR is electric start.
The CRM powervalve servo I know is not the same as the NSR one.
I think I'd probably be looking for a crashed NSR cheap, rather than just an engine.

At a guess the CRM was kinda a replacement for the MTX - thus using the replacement road-bike engine.

rickscrm
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:51 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replys guys.
do you think the gearbox parts out of a nsr engine will fit the crm?
the bike is in the garage but i will pop down there and get the engine number and post it asap cheers

ben350
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:03 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know but I would imagine that the CRM and the NSR use different gear ratios.

A 125 single cylinder 2 stroke isnt difficult to work on, why not get a manual and tear it down yourself? You'll only need a castle nut socket to remove a Honda clutch Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:07 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they do use different gear ratios, actually. Just guessing, but the final drive ratios are the same I reckon - with my standard gearing I reckon it'd have hit a theoretical 100mph, similar to the NSR.
The standard ratios or engine really isn't that great for off-roading, which suggests that they haven't made many changes.

rickscrm
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:11 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i could get it from the garage while its already split and post some pics i know a lot of people have nsr125 so someone should know

rickscrm
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:18 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like good news i need the gearing to be the same so i can buy a nsr engine and strip the gearing out as the nsrs dont have a kickstart so i cant just but a nsr engine and stick the whole thing in the crm and i dont want to mess around trying to fit a electric start on the crm
thanks for your help
i found a service manual for the crm/nsr but its in portugese so i cant undertsand it

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:22 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a french CRM manual somewhere, probably no more help.

I doubt the electric start would be /that/ much hassle to fit; I'd worry about the powervalve (as I say, I know the NSR one doesn't fit on the CRM as I tried) and other similar issues.
Incidentally, I have a variety of CRM parts, but not an engine unless you want to buy the whole bike Smile.

rickscrm
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:01 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think im just gona have to pay the garage to fix the crm gearbox there saying its gona be around £500+ but hey these things happen

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:50 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

£500... I only paid £350 for my bike (ok, I've done some work on it since.)
Could get a DT125 or similar in ok nick for that I'd say, leaving you the CRM as a 'project' if you wanted, or could no doubt sell on for something.

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 21 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless your made of money then its not worth spending £500 on a gearbox repair.

as G mentioned you could easily pick up another bike for the cost of that repair.

my second bike was a CRM125. from what i learnt the engines are very similar but are not exactly the same so i dont think you can swap them.

personally id buy another bike (winter is the best time to buy) and keep your eye on ebay for either a full CRM engine or just a gearbox. they dont come up that often though so unless you can afford the space to store the CRM for a while you may be better off selling it for spares or repairs.

if you were near me i might buy it myself. i miss my old one.

sumpgard
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 21 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should cross refrence the part numbers the nsr gears would probably fit £500 for a gear box repair is a lot of money i rebuilt mine for £150 and did the work my self.

rickscrm
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:46 - 22 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumpgard wrote:
you should cross refrence the part numbers the nsr gears would probably fit £500 for a gear box repair is a lot of money i rebuilt mine for £150 and did the work my self.

ho do i find out the part numbers?

salty21
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 22 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a complete bottom end for an nsr in good working order, you can have it for £80
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 13 years, 104 days between these two posts...

2tenjoyer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 01 Feb 2023    Post subject: Is NSR125 the same as CR125? Reply with quote

Hello,

I want to change the crankrod on my NSR125, but don’t seem to find one. Will the CR125 crankrod fit?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:32 - 01 Feb 2023    Post subject: Re: Is NSR125 the same as CR125? Reply with quote

2tenjoyer wrote:
Hello,

I want to change the crankrod on my NSR125, but don’t seem to find one. Will the CR125 crankrod fit?
A CR125 is very different from a CRM125, so no probably not. a) can you get your crank rebuilt? and b) please don't resurrect 13 year old threads... jeez.

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

plenty of new con rod on ebay , even complete crankshaft
type "NSR125 crankshaft"

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:24 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the OP can't identify a plug in the loom that matches with the plug on the cdi I suggest that conrods are well outside his pay grade.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
As the OP can't identify a plug in the loom that matches with the plug on the cdi I suggest that conrods are well outside his pay grade.

Come on Nobby. Don't try and emulate Sickpups level of cuntishness to people who are not sure of what they are asking, you;re better than that.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:47 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being as gentle as possible....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1