Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR coming of age

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 00:53 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: NSR coming of age Reply with quote

Right my beautiful NSR passed her 9000 mile birthday today, and the engine's beginning to complain. The occasional knock I feel through the pegs is beginning to occur more often, as is the "like a bus" sound that the NSR gives on tickover. Another problem i've found is that the NSR's now a bit akward to kick up into second. Not always, but occasionally.

I'm out of work and i need to know basically, how long can i run the NSR before i *HAVE* to get her sorted? I appreciate that each machine is different, which is why i'm only asking for general advice.

Any comments would be appreciated, unless they are derogatory ot unhelpful in any way Razz .

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 02:05 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 1998 NSR had 25000 miles on the clock when l sold it and it never had a re-build in its life, just depends on how well it have been looked after generally l would expect a 125 2stroke to last more than 9000 before anthink serious
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:36 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "like a bus" sound is pointing at bad running at low revs - likely due to low compression.

9000 is getting on. I think we rebuilt dannys NSR at 12000 and it was in pretty bad need of it by then. Best indicator is when the top speed starts tailing off from 90ish down to more like 80.

The gearchange problem can probably be sorted by lubricating the external linkage and changing the gearbox oil.

You probably have about 2k to go before it needs a rebuild. If I were you I'd lubricate the linkage, give it a good wash, and get it on autotrader sharpish.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 11:51 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
get it on autotrader sharpish.

Thinking

You tell everyone to get everything on auto trader if theres a problem with it, the changing gear problem might just be the chain tension needs doing which isn't exactly a hard job. As for a rebuil Colins bike was going for a long long time over 9000 miles before it seized!

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride it till it goes bang, or sell it and get a CG125 if you have no job, would be the safest option?

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 17:27 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:
Ride it till it goes bang, or sell it and get a CG125 if you have no job, would be the safest option?

No because It's my bike and i don't want it to go bang thankyou very much. As for CG's, I'd rather not go from an NSR to a CG - I'd rather walk, i've got my pride.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it will go bang soon, not much you can do about it really! and a motorbike is far better than walking, besides CG's are cool in their own little way Wink Razz

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 18:47 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same way Cub 90's are classic bikes?

The NSR will only go bang if i don't take measures to prevent it. I'd rather spend some money on staving off an expensive failure than spent no money and have to get a new engine.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What preventative measures are they then, not riding the bike? Razz

If you think that something *may* be wrong with the engine at the moment, then it is going to go pop soon whether you like it or not? nothing you can do about it?

It will cost about £130 to rebuild the whole top end.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1