Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

battery problem..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 01:49 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: battery problem.. Reply with quote

i was at my girlfriends house today and when i left at about 12am, the bike had been left standing outside for about 11 hours, it wouldnt start with electric start because the battery seemed dead (almost) so i had to use the kickstart...i turned my lights on (they were fine, they are always dim until i give the bike some throttle) and rode home, got home, switched bike off, went to start it again and it was still dead, for some reason when i have full lights on my battery doesnt seem to charge...thats not right is it?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:14 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Check the fuses first. Some 125s are fused in such a way that they can still power the lights but not charge the battery.

After that put a multimeter over the battery and check the voltage with the engine off / running / being revved. Should be around 13v for the first 2, rising to about 14.5v for the third.

All the best

Keith

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:21 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your main headlights only come on when the engine is running? If so they are DC powered

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 16:15 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah they only come on when engine is running, shall i get a battery charger?

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:01 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd do what kickstart said, by checking the fuses and the voltage at different stages. Either get a charger or borrow a new battery

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 18:50 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much do new batteries cost?

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:03 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's handy if you know someone in the trade, as I can get them for £5-10. I've bought stuff at trade for so long I don't know how much things cost at retail any more. You could try https://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn?type=battery&flag=19

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:19 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Re: battery problem.. Reply with quote

RooRoo wrote:
i had to use the kickstart...i turned my lights on and rode home, got home, switched bike off, went to start it again and it was still dead,

If the battery was so flat that you needed to kick it, then riding it all the time with the lights on isn't going to give it a good enough charge, specially if the girlfirend doesn't live too far away.

Next time you start it (assuming you haven't had the battery on a charger) go for a 50 - odd mile ride without using the lights, that'll put some juice back into it. If it doesn't then your charging system is supect.

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 20:05 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got a charger today its charging now, although the charging light is VERY dim, guessing its just being weird like my phone charger, how long should i leave it?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1