Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

gpx 400r brake pads how to fit?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

big2dave
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:52 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: gpx 400r brake pads how to fit? Reply with quote

ok i have a gpx 400 i put a new tyer on the other day and noticed i need to replace the pads ,,

how do i do this i take the top off the brake fulid, take off the frount wheal, then what how do i get um out? i have done a car a bout a year ago but am unsure with bikes,
and not only that but the bike will be left till august because of my 21st is in august so is it worth leveing it or leving it and geting a bike shop to do um for me? i have the brake pads (well tuesday i will bought um on ebay)

whats thinking ?

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:44 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You undo the bolts that hold the calipers to the forks and then slide the calipers off the disc, push in the floaters to allow the pads to drop out, push the pistions back in, put the new pads in (clean the calipers 1st), and then slide the calipers back over the disc and replace the bolts to hold it / them to the fork(s).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

big2dave
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:51 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian (GPZ400R) wrote:
You undo the bolts that hold the calipers to the forks and then slide the calipers off the disc, push in the floaters to allow the pads to drop out, push the pistions back in, put the new pads in (clean the calipers 1st), and then slide the calipers back over the disc and replace the bolts to hold it / them to the fork(s).
that easy ? will bo ok if left b4 moved for a moth or two ?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:42 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You do not need to take the wheel off.

The calipers are held on with 2 bolts. Undo these and take one caliper off. Take off the cap from the master cylinder. Push the pistons back in the caliper. Watch out for fluid coming out of the master cylinder (especially as brake fluid removes paint).

I think the GPX calipers are the same as on the GPZ500, or at least very similar. In which case the pad that is on the piston side of the caliper should pop out quite easily. Then push the carrier (the bit the caliper slides on, and which holds the other pad) as far into the caliper as possible. It should then be possible to unhook the other pad.

All the best

Keith

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:27 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The calipers should be the same as on my GPZ400R !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1