Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

PRACTICAL BIKE TEST

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

NSRboi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:19 - 23 Jul 2002    Post subject: PRACTICAL BIKE TEST Reply with quote

I'm finally doing my bike test next Tuesday, after rescheduling after a bad crash in April when I was riding as pillion on a mates bike (broke 3 bones in my hand).

I've had quite a few lessons, but the rider training instructors over here in north of Ireland are just interested in one thing... £££££££££. I changed my instructor 3 times, each one useless with an attitude problem.

I've been riding almost a year now on my restricted NSR125. Still having problems with my U-Turns, giving the bike has such a large turning circle.
Every instructor I had, said I would be failed on my U-Turns because my bike wasn't suitable for the purposes of the test. It's made me very nervous.

Since I will be riding my NSR for some time, I obviously wanted to do my test on it. Has anyone done their test on theirs? Any other (serious) advice will be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 14:27 - 23 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken 2 tests so far. I wouldn't take it on my NSR at all!! You need a more relaxed bike. You're out to please the instructor, not ride well.
I'd recommend using one of their SR's or something like. The 4-strokers are much easier to handle in a test situation.
You'll need all the breaks you can get and the NSR's don't give many

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:37 - 23 Jul 2002    Post subject: Re: PRACTICAL BIKE TEST Reply with quote

THe instructer should ask you to wak the bike in a U turn first if they're unsure if your bike will make it. I practised U turns on my NSR and didn't have a problem with them... if you can do them on the NSR you won't have any problems on their cg's etc (I did my test on a gs500 though)

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:09 - 23 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did my test on the NS, and its not well suited to it, quite top heavy for u turns and the like. i'm with demonic on renting an SR or CG for the test, examiners take a better view of them as well.
as for training, if its not worth it dont do it, take the test and see what you failed on, a test is 40 quid which i'm sure is way cheaper than a days training.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 17:11 - 23 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything do 1 or 2 days training. They will show you what the examiner is looking for.

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:39 - 23 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it wak means walk g. Yeah, when you walk it round and your thinking ime never gonna make it, make a right meal of it and pretend the bike wont make it, and theyl find you a wider road. I knew a vicar who did that trick!!!
I did it on my NSR and put my foot down, but i think he took into account the bike and let me off.
Dyl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 08:51 - 24 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAaaaargh!!
You stick ur foot down and pass. I ride perfectly and the biatch fails me!! Sad

Oggie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:06 - 24 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got my test on Fri next week, i went for a free assesment and he said it should be a piece of piss so im looking forward to getting rid of meh L plate and fully de-restricting it cos its already partically done so :p
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

screaming skull

PostPosted: 12:47 - 24 Jul 2002    Post subject: bike test Reply with quote

I have my bike test next friday in northern ireland. Went for a two hour lesson on the NSR last monday and everythig went well until i got to the feckin U turn. Treid 3 times, failed it three times. tried it on the instructors 125 training bike and did it no problem. The instructor tried it on the NSR and just made it and no more, so am on the instructors bike for the test Crying or Very sad ballax...
You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:49 - 24 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer using the 4-strokes. Fukups are less aparrent cuz the bike's more stable:)

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 17:47 - 24 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to all those who are due to take their tests! Very Happy

Quote:
Every instructor I had, said I would be failed on my U-Turns because my bike wasn't suitable for the purposes of the test

That's B*llocks!...the U-turn is just a slow-speed maneouvre, and requires a little practice with clutch slipping. Practice slipping your clutch and using your rear brake. Start off in a straight line, and try to get it down to walking pace...don't worry about using too many revs, if your clutch is steady and controlled, it won't affect your speed.

The u-turn can be accomlished on any bike, and it is very much down to confidence.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 00:57 - 25 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in desperate need of a test pass - my CBT runs out very shortly!!

How do I book my test and what will it cost me?

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 07:42 - 25 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.driving-tests.co.uk

Go ^ there ^ and find your nearest test centre. You can then give them a call to arrange your test.

Alternatively, you can find a local training centre, and book through them.

curryhead
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:46 - 25 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

the people in the test place said i wouldnt be able to use my dt 125 because i wouldnt be able to do a u turn. so i told them i had just done a u turn to get to their office! lol. ive made it to my 100th post

tanner18
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:15 - 26 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

bollocks i passed my test on my nsr did a u turn on this very narrow hill the road arced alot as well uve just got to keep slipping the clutch and feed very few revs to send it round u have to lean into it quite a bit just Twisted Evil PRACTICE
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1