Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to find out the numberplate of a bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fahd
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 26 Dec 2009    Post subject: How to find out the numberplate of a bike? Reply with quote

Basically, I've decided I want to put my Honda H100 S2 back on the road after having it spend two years in my garage doing nothing. Can anyone please tell me how I'd go about doing this, the bike was previously owned by a family friend who'd been given it as a 'hand-me-down' but had no interest in motorbikes and when it was given to me it had no numberplates as it had sat for about 10 years in a garage before that and lost it at some point along the way.

I'm assuming I'd need to give the frame numbers to DVLA to get the numberplate registration? if anyone could let me know exactly what to do short of phoning the DVLA (not a big fan of holding the line for millions of hours at a time) that would be great (i.e. is there a specific form etc.?) Thumbs Up Karma

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 26 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a form and apply for a log book first, the V5 has the reg. number in it.

im sure alll you need to do is say that it's a lost book, and give them the frame number? never done it myself though.

dunc

I was MrDunkable in a previous life. Then questioned why I was the one being dunked...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robocog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:16 - 26 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is that the V5C application asks for the Reg number
Waste of a stamp sending it to Swansea last time I tried
Got given loads of bad advice over the phone at Swansea that wasted weeks

Visit your local DVLA office
Take all details with you (make model vin number old tax disk -no matter how mutilated as it was how they managed to find my bike as for some odd reason there was no record of the VIN and the tax disk was unreadable apart from the bar code and the numbers at the top edge....cost for a V5 was £25 and took a few weeks after contacting the local office)

Don't forget to put it on sorn at the same time Smile

Pretty drama free as long as you get to see/speak to the right person at your local office (eg anyone NOT at Swansea)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 26 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought this:

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_4022316

@Robocog, your avatar's a tad big son, can you resize it?

Thumbs Up

robocog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:55 - 26 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps sorry about that
Issue rectified by deletion Smile

Just be careful ref the online forms and Swansea as they /nearly/ persuaded me that the only way I could get the bikes V5 in my name would be by re registering it (sounded like a big nasty can o worms to me)

I insisted it already had an identity and reg plate (due to having a dog eared tax disk bolted to it) and I would much prefer to find out its true ID rather than 'create a new one for ease'

Seriously Swansea and online form filling in cannot help you with this one*
Just go and see someone at your local DVLA office when they are open...they sorted me out

*According to all the departments I wrote to and managed to speak to when I needed the same services earlier in the year
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 27 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no no, you can find out tomoro.

You can jump through hoops for the DVLA and mess around with a lot of stuff, take 30 days etc.

OR go on VD, find the guy who does HPI checks for a tenner, and msg him saying you want a frame number HPI, Pay him £20, and you'll get all the information you need.

I believe some bike shops would do the same for a fee.

Pyro
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

Fahd
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:29 - 27 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the posts so far guys, nice to know that every single one of you has their own method... Laughing

pyroforlife wrote:
no no no, you can find out tomoro.

You can jump through hoops for the DVLA and mess around with a lot of stuff, take 30 days etc.

OR go on VD.

Pyro

I'm sorry to sound ignorant but what is VD?

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 27 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either venereal disease or visor down...

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:35 - 27 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea sorry, the guys name is Yodi on Viser Down.

He's got an email address and phone number on there, I'll have a look when I wake up tomoro but he's got a thread on there somewhere.

Pyro

EDIT

Hi mate ive only just seen this really sorry.

I am on here and can be contacted by pm, by email at yodi @ blueyonder.co.uk or on my mobile 077666 2 8887.

Regards, Yodi
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

robocog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:56 - 27 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVLA will charge £25 anyway for a V5 in your name as you don't have a current V5 or the bit to post to them (unless I missunderstood?)

They will also let you know what the reg number is for free if you go to your local office (don't see the point in paying them AND someone else unless its going to cost you £20 to get yourself over to your local office??)

I used to have access to a system at work where I could look up VIN's and find out the reg and details of the vehicle which used to work /most/ of the time
Unfortunately we no longer have the system available otherwise I would offer you to PM me your VIN for a try

(I think it didn't work in my case as the bike had been off the road for quite a long time and had maybe dissapeared under the radar and fallen off the database which sounds similar to your situation. I was going to re check to see if mine has now magically re appeared since being declared sorn with new keeper details, but the system was no longer available to me to check with unfortunately)

If the chap offering the service is using the same data I was, I don't think I would risk £20 on it either unless its a money back thing if details come back blank

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 27 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

robocog wrote:
DVLA will charge £25 anyway for a V5 in your name as you don't have a current V5 or the bit to post to them (unless I missunderstood?)

They will also let you know what the reg number is for free if you go to your local office (don't see the point in paying them AND someone else unless its going to cost you £20 to get yourself over to your local office??)

Actually, they aren't supposed to. Unless you are the registered keeper, you shouldn't be given that information.

Pyro

robocog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:10 - 27 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed about just wandering in and asking for a reg plate based on a VIN....I'm pretty sure they would tell you to jog on

But if you are applying to be the registered keeper, forms filled in as far as you can with the £25 admin fee handed over the counter they have little choice to let you know what the reg is of your vehicle

As far as I'm aware this is what the OP was after, to become the new registed keeper rather than just finding out a reg number?

Form you need is the V62
https://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067819.pdf

Print it off, fill in what you can and take along to DVLA (they have forms and pens at my local office so would assume the others if you want to save printing it off and ink)

Don't forget the Sorn decleration at the same time (form V890)
https://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065269.pdf

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 27 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

robocog wrote:
Agreed about just wandering in and asking for a reg plate based on a VIN....I'm pretty sure they would tell you to jog on

But if you are applying to be the registered keeper, forms filled in as far as you can with the £25 admin fee handed over the counter they have little choice to let you know what the reg is of your vehicle

As far as I'm aware this is what the OP was after, to become the new registed keeper rather than just finding out a reg number?

Yeah, I gathered that was what he was after. When I bought my firestorm it had nothing with it, just a key. I rang the DVLA, rang honda, went to my local office, and nothing. Noone would give me any info so I just paid that fella I mentioned to do it.

Due to freedom of information or something, they wouldn't let me apply to be registered keeper without the reg number, but they wouldn't give me the reg number without being the keeper. Might have just been my local office being cuntish though.

Hope that makes more sense than my previous posting.

Pyro

robocog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:18 - 27 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL @ DVLA being 'awkward'

Yup spent several days going backward and forward and getting nowhere fast after all my paperwork and cheque got returned back from Swansea stating they could not help me and only local office could

I dug my heels in as deep as I could with them
I assured them the bike was going back on the road with or without their assistance

They (DVLA) do not seem to know how to handle "odd situations" like this and were pretty good at giving out duff info

I also have a kit car and am on a few forums and it seems to be a pretty global thing with DVLA, one person will say one thing which is then denied by another in the same dept on a regular basis, some get an easy ride, others are made to jump through hoops for the same service

Seems they do not have a big book of rules they can refer to and things are more down to personal interpretation and general mood of the person your dealing with

I desperately tried to get through to my local office via telephone to clarify if they could help or wether it was yet more duff info (and a potentially wasted journey) but all the departments I tried refused to put me through to my local office, till I eventually found a number for wheel clamping that claimed they were running from my local office (Portsmouth)

Turned out they were again in Swansea but I eventually persuaded the person on the other end of the phone that until I get a call back or be transferred I would keep ringing back every time they put the phone down
(took 3 attempts at calling back and asking for the same person each time before she believed I would seriously waste the rest of my life trying it)

10 mins later my local office called me back (a service that the local office claimed should have been drama free and should have been offered at first point of contact !)

Told local office of my dilemma in trying to get reg number, she said she had found it on the database but couldn't disclose it over the phone, but could have if I was there in person with the paperwork and cheque, they gave their postal address told me to post old tax disk and all paperwork and email I had gathered in trying to find out the bikes ID along with partially filled in V62 and V890 and £25 and they would do the rest

Got V5 in my name and SORN paperwork by return post a few weeks later, job done (with a fair amount of hair loss along the way)

Hope all goes straightforward for the OP
Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1