Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Preparing a bike for france

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:56)
View previous topic : View next topic  

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 18:41 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Preparing a bike for france Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0181

Looking at the weather its going to be pretty damn warm in france when we go (8 days away!)

I was thinking is it worth draining the coolant and filling it with water mixed with less antifreeze? I assume less antifreeze means it will make the bike run cooler since if you put too much antifreeze in it runs warm.

Is there anything else I should do to prepare the bike for the warm weather?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:55 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the antifreeze as the book says. Antifreeze doesn't make your bike run warmer, so you don't need to run a weaker mix for hot climates. It also contains corrosion inhibitors, and in that tiny old engine you really don't want corrosion.

As long as the antifreeze is ok now, I wouldn't touch it unless it has a proper drain plug to drop the old coolant. You probably need to disturb a slightly knackered hose to drop the coolant - if the hose disintegrates, you don't have long to find a new one.

I would change the oil and run 10W40 semi syn. Fully syn can cause clutch slip, and in 3500 miles of riding on french roads you might put some wear on your clutch, so best not to chance it. Fill the oil up nice and high in the sight glass, go for a little ride to fill the new filter properly, then check the level again.

New air filter.

Check your brakes, if the pads look like they may need doing, do them. Make sure the caliper bolts and disc bolts are done up tight.

Chain and sprocket condition. If it needs sorting, sort it.

Tyres. Personally I would go for a harder compound than 090s for 3500 miles in france, that will totally destroy an 090 and the higher ambient temperature and road temperature means you should be able to get a harder tyre up to heat and hold it there.

Go over the whole thing and check for loose nuts or bolts.

Basically prepare your bike in such a way that it will be servicable in 3500 miles of hard riding.
Don't take loads of chain lube or oil with you, just take a small can of chain lube and no engine oil. Lube your chain every night, if you need oil you can buy it from every hypermarket in france.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/bike/sorted.jpg

Hope i didn't forget anything...

on a slightly more relevent and helpfull note, take anything you would need to adjust your chain, i'd be supprsed if you didn't have to at least once. never had to myself (maybe because mines shaft drive Very Happy) but friends whove been touring have had to do it frequently.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 23:03 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, oh yes Laughing
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 23:19 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i did.

1.got the bike serviced. (this includes a new air filter, your bike will run like a shitter in the mountains..due to the altitude, a clean filter can make this less noticable)

2. new set of tyres....tyres blister very quickly down the south of france due to the high road temperatures.

3. oil check and trust me..take 2 litres of oil with you...because YOU WILL BURN IT!! your doing the equivalent of 6 month riding in a week, i did 2300 miles in 6 days and burned about 2.5 litres. 2litres was the average with our bikes)

4. i had new pads fitted...but most of the guys went with there old pads (around 5mm of wear left) and they were fine.

5.take a tyre pressure gauge. you will want your pressures high for the mostly motorway/A road route of getting down there to minimise "squaring off" of your rubber. The adjust accordingly when down south...i need to drop my front 4psi and my rear 6 psi due to the high temperature

6.take some chain lube...and lube it ever 2 days or so, unless you have a scott oiler like me...then you can be lazy Razz

7.if you can sort a tank bag....carry your documents in this (passport, licence both plastic and paper, insurance documents, mot, E111 and travel insurance) because if you get pulled you will need to produce most of these....the faster the better Razz. I also kept some water in there cos i was sweating buckets.

8.you coolant should be fine...mine never moved Razz

9.adjust you clutch to have a little extra play than usual, you engine will spend most of the time running hotter than usual, and i found my clutch was starting to play up due to the heat....i adjusted it looser, and solved the problem.

thats basically everything i have learned todo after 3 years or riding to the south of france and back Smile

hope that helps Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1