Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Satnavs - with sound or not?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Swim41
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:49 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Satnavs - with sound or not? Reply with quote

I'm on the lookout for a new satnav after my Tomtom equipped Navigo (?45 pda from ebuyer) finally packed in after nearly three years use. It will only get used occasionally so I can't justify the cost of a bike satnav (for example the TomTom Rider with European coverage plus the essential car mount comes to just shy of ?400).

Unfortunately I notice that practically all of the satnavs from Tomtom and Garmin save a few in the ?300+ range now exclude an earphone socket (something that the Navigo had). It wouldn't surprise me if one of the reasons for this is to push riders towards a dedicated bike system.

For general use the Nuvi 255w at ?99 with full European coverage looks like a good buy and gets good reviews. I had thought of teaming it with one of these mini tank bag/GPS holders at ?40 (below) or something similar strapped to the bars and just checking the screen occasionally to make sure I'm on course. I never use the satnav much anyway, usually when touring just to start me off in the right direction and to find campsites etc.

Just wondered if anyone else uses a satnav without sound and how you cope?

https://www.dmd.co.za/UploadedImages/us1_GIVI-S850.jpg
____________________
Yamaha XJ600N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a zumo 550, and have always run it without sound. tis easy you just keep half an eye on it (mount it on the handlebars so you can see it and the clocks in one smooth view)
____________________
"intelligent inattention is preferable to unintelligent tinkering"
www.davejps.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TomTom One which i've rigged up to my Z using a Ram mount. I fitted a under seat cigarette socket via a relay, where it plugs in to.

What I do is have the volume on full and I can hear it when I am at a junction.

I don't know about your sat nav, but the TomTom, shows the next turn ahead in the bottom left hand corner, so by glancing I can see in 200 yards to turn left for example.

To be honest I don't use it too much, sometimes just to get to a major road or get out of a town I don't know.

But yeahh, no problems, if I can cope anyone can. Only thing its not waterproof, but a freezer bag solves that.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting that most don't use sound, as when touring or travelling to around the uk I mainly use sound(with my music too of course), I hardly ever look at the screen.

Probably why i still use a 2.4" nokia n80
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Re: Satnavs - with sound or not? Reply with quote

I really liked my Zumo 660 for reasonable directions and music. Not perfect, but the best solution I've had so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Swim41
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have researched the Zumo 660 and like the sound of it but I have to justify the cost against the amount of use it'd get. I usually get one two week European bike tour in each year and apart from that very rarely touch the satnav. Having said that when abroad I find it invaluable for finding campsites etc.

This year I'll be going abroad twice - once on the bike and once on a road trip with my daughter in the car. It's the latter that's driving the satnav purchase in that I can deduct navigation from the long list of stresses I'm going to encounter! But I want something that's useable on the bike too.

If I do without sound I'll just have to be ever so careful checking the display, would be so easy to glance down and - crunch!! Probably best to pull over and check position.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:51 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my two week solo Europe tour I found it worth the money personally - it meant I never had to look at a map once and had very little worry with (mostly) getting to where I wanted as easily as possible.
I especially like the 'lane assist' function.

It does work well in the car too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:03 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely using satnav takes all the fun out of touring. The world's gone mad. When I were a lad you were considered a shandy drinking bender if you had a colour A-Z Laughing
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:00 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
Surely using satnav takes all the fun out of touring. The world's gone mad. When I were a lad you were considered a shandy drinking bender if you had a colour A-Z Laughing


I tour to ride some mountain roads, meet new people and get to my destinations. My sat nav allows me to do this quickly and more reliably than a map. Getting lost bucharesti for 3 hours is no fun when you need to make it to Brasov before nightfall to find accommadation, or pick up a friend from an airport etc..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:07 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means you can spend more time on the bike riding and less time off pouring over foreign place names. Or more time exploring, or the many other things that you could do.
I can read maps ok, but it's more relaxing not to have to worry when you do have a target in mind.
Personally 'all the fun' of touring for me isn't purely from reading maps with foreign names - be good if it was, because I could just sit at hone and do that which would be a lot cheaper Wink.


Last edited by G on 09:29 - 28 Jan 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Swim41
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:38 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
Surely using satnav takes all the fun out of touring


Not really, find it adds to the experience. I certainly wouldn't want to spend the day blindly following a GPS along boring motorways - I would worry then that my inbuilt navigation skills would be lost! However there are times when it's necessary to make progress without stopping all the time to consult a map or to find a campsite when daylight is running out and I've lost my bearings in some complicated road system it's a great help.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:51 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also very handy when you're low on petrol, as you can just tell your satnav to take you to the nearest petrol station.

A few years ago, I lost my bluetooth thingie for my TomTom Rider so now have to use just the screen. It is a bit of a pain when you come into a roundabout, as you need to look at the screen, not just listen to the directions. Also, the sun often obscures the screen, so I have to shade it with my hand to see where I'm supposed to go to; not that recommended when you're coming into a junction... My next one will have sound.
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SonicTheHedge...
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work the other way round - TomTom software on a PDA, route set up, paired with BT headset, then dumped into a pocket.
Once you've worked out the way they specify directions (and have a rough idea what 300 yards is) it's pretty easy just working on the voiceprompts alone.
____________________
Previous: '00 G2 Bandit 600 Naked. Now: '08 BMW GS Adventure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 80.91 Kb