BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New person :P

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Razzy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: New person :P Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm just new to these forums and I am looking to get my first bike soon (used to have some dirt bikes when I was younger).
I've been reading all about the laws from the post on this forum and would I be right in saying that if I got a cbr600 and got it restricted to 33bhp i could use it once i had past my test???
btw I'm 19 and not ridden a bike in years.

I'm posting this as my uncle crashed recently and had to get his foot chopped because of the accident...it wasn't a bad accident just a knock off his bike but he caught it on a fence Sad

He is giving me his bike which is a cbr600 so just wondering if I cna do that then after my 2yrs I can derestrict it???

thanks folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 14:24 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi - welcome to the forum; hope you get what you want from it - we're a good bunch of chaps and chapesses.

I think you've got it nailed with the CBR6 questions . . . Thumbs Up

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome Thumbs Up

Yep, sounds right....if you pass your test on a 125 you can ride a restricted one and after 2 years your licence will mature into a full one and you can get it derestricted again.

Well, that's what I've been led to believe!! Smile

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:49 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Razzy,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes you can do the A2 test and once the CBR is restricted you can ride it for two years, after that, you can ride any bike you like.

The restriction is going to cost around £200 fitted, and it can only be fitted by a dealer, you can not do it yourself, you will have to sign some papers too and the dealer will give you a certificate.

Visit www.fiinternational.com for more info on bikes that can be restricted just in case you change your mind on the CBR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering doing a restricted test when I'm ready too Razzy, although I have a lot to weigh up. My main concern is that restricting a bike damages it.

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 17:22 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

karen_moomin wrote:
I'm considering doing a restricted test when I'm ready too Razzy, although I have a lot to weigh up. My main concern is that restricting a bike damages it.

Shouldn't do - most forms of restriction simply reduce the available port size on the carbs - exaclty the same as running part throttle. It effectively means that the engine never receives more than x% throttle . . .

ie you still get full twistgrip travel but the 'holes' the engine breathes through are smaller than those on the carbs that you're giving the throttle for.

Here's a thought - how about a restrictor that simply stopped the twistgrip at 15% of travel or whatever - you wouldn't be able to open it more than 33bhp's worth or whatever? hmmmm . . .

Last edited by Ninja on 18:02 - 28 Jun 2004; edited 1 time in total

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

karen_moomin wrote:

It would actually do the opposite, cos a restrictor stops the bike from going above a certain rev range,like on my ER-5 the speed would top out at about 7500RPM and there was nothing at all left in the bike. So you wouldn't be taking the engine to its extremes etc.

Plus why would you want to do restricted access when your over 21 anyway, you'd save yourself money doing DAS and saving money on not buying a restrictor and getting it removed in 2 years.

Plus you'd get to ride a bigger bike on DAS and get used to a larger bike Smile.

Razzy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so if I get this right (cross your fingers all Razz ) getting it restricted will NOT harm it? will it sound like a hair dryer though :S
or will it still have the deep roar Twisted Evil

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:43 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't do any harm and it'll sound basically the same cos it still revs to the same rpm, just makes less power.

Should still be pretty nippy at the bottom end, it's top end speed that suffers most.

Razzy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thank you all

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:22 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Re: New person :P Reply with quote

Razzy wrote:
My uncle crashed recently and had to get his foot chopped because of the accident...it wasn't a bad accident just a knock off his bike but he caught it on a fence Sad

IMO that classes as a bad accident! Confused

Razzy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

believe me thats pretty tame for him lol he's had body parts removed before Confused

Munday
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:15 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

I am newish around here too! Everyone seems helpful and friendly as well Wink

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 17:35 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mate, hope to see you for our rideouts if you get on that CBR600 you mentioned. Thumbs Up Smile

Razzy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, got a little something I would like to know aswell......

When I get it restricted and if it has to be done by an officail dealer.......(very naughty bit now) say after a year of getting used to it and I want to feel the power Twisted Evil could I get it derestricted..i know this would be illiegal but I am fairly confident that I will have the feeling back of riding by then Very Happy

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 21:47 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can de restrict your self I did mine after 5 weeks with help from G and ste. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1