Overheating

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:43 - 23 Jul 2002    Post subject: Overheating Reply with quote

Hi
My bikes looking like it should after my accident, but it is still overheating. The needle is moving up to about 3/4 of the gauge and varying, is this something to worry about??? Before its new piston it used to stay steady at just under a 1/2.
2 strokes seize when they get too hot dont they??? Arghhh.... the forum curse!!!
Thanks
Dyl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSRboi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:08 - 23 Jul 2002    Post subject: Re: Overheating Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
Hi
My bikes looking like it should after my accident, but it is still overheating. The needle is moving up to about 3/4 of the gauge and varying, is this something to worry about??? Before its new piston it used to stay steady at just under a 1/2.
2 strokes seize when they get too hot dont they??? Arghhh.... the forum curse!!!
Thanks
Dyl

Dylan,
Sorry to hear about your accident (happens to the best of us!). You say the needle moves up 3/4 of the temperature gauge? That don't sound good. I take it you've checked your coolant level?. Unless your bike is at very high constant revs it shouldnt do that.

Keep your revs low at under or around 5,000 rpm if possible until you have it checked out, this may help the engine temperature. After any accident, it is always worthwhile to have the bike assessed by an engineer, because its very hard to spot some damage.

Hope you get your prob sorted out. BTW, what happened?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:14 - 23 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

its eighter the :

(1) thermostat sender unit giving a wrong reading,
(2) thermostat not operning at right temp.
(3) 2 much coolent mix ie 2 thick
(4) coolent leak causing premature boiling

Does it get hot then drop dont 2 a normal temp then heat up again?
or does it get hot and maintain the temp constant?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:34 - 23 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The accident happened ages ago, putting the oil pipe on the crankcase breather!!! DOH!!!
The needle increases with revs, but isnt noticeable at low speed due to the fact it revs out so quickly. Only at high speeds where you have to hold it at 9000 to get into 6th gear ok.
The sender unit took a right bashing when i took the engine out. I mnaged to break the top bit off and bolted it down too far in to the cylinder head. Still is too far in the cylinder head. Its not leaking and its had a new thermostat. I used castrol motorcycle coolant which said dont mix with water, so i didnt. Shouldnt be too thick, should it???? Changeing coolant is a right pain as it means taking off EVERY piece of fairing....
Can i check the temp without the sender unit, so i can check if it really is getting too hot???
Thanks for the replys and the help.
Dyl

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:38 - 25 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone pleeease reply, its quite worrying!
dyl Laughing

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 00:01 - 26 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

engines can get very hot man

you only need to worry if it goes into the red

my moped gets stupidly hot in london traffic, but if everything is up to scratch it should never go into the red, and it never has

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:14 - 26 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all ok now, it doesnt get hot as long as i thrash it and dont labour/strain the engine. Think there was probably an air bubble in the sytem.
Thanks
Dyl

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 19:04 - 26 Jul 2002    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

yeah gosse is right in this weather it will go up more, if get stuff at lots of sets of traffic lights 1 after anouther i.e town centers then mine goes up as well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:32 - 27 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didnt do it as much last year, but then agin it wasnt really very hot last year, only got my bike in august.
Dyl

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 27 Jul 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye goose is correct....in the hot it tends to get hotter! and runs smoother!

if it goes in the red u should be concerned then check ur coolant and turn the engine off immediatly

Ryan
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:38 - 29 Jul 2002    Post subject: hhmmmm Reply with quote

does anyone know where the fan is on a RVF400 im sure they're supposed to have one like the vfr400's, but mine nevers seems to come on Shocked (or i just cant hear it like i can on my mates bikes) even when the bike is getting hot(ish), can anyone tell me where the fan is so i can check it's there cheers Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1