Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki RG125 Non Starter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

DopeB
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:34 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Suzuki RG125 Non Starter Reply with quote

Hi
I've just bought an RG125 but it doesn't start. I've checked all the basic stuff and am still stuck.
The battery is charged and is turning the engine over.
The spark plug does spark and when I take it out after trying to start the bike, there is petrol on it.
I've played with the choke trying it on and off but it didn't make any difference.
The bike does sound like it wants to start but just won't.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Smile

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel
Spark
Compression

is all that is needed.

perhaps you have flooded it (i know nothing of 2 stokes btw Wink?

check the gap on the plug and clean all the oil and fuel off with a rag (especially where the spark goes). You may also want to check the fuel/air/oil mixture and make sure its not trying to start on oil and air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:52 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things to check:

Is the carb secure in its rubber, or is there a possible air leak between carb and engine.

How many miles on the engine? If you've never had it running, it could just be knackered and due a rebuild. Check the compression and see what you get.

DopeB
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:06 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plug is nice and clean. It did have petrol on it after I'd tried to start it so I assume that it is getting juice into the barrel.
I haven't checked the card but I'll do that tonight.
I know the bike has been running recently (well a couple of months ago) but it did stop working and hasn't been touched since.

Someone also suggested I drain the tank and put fresh petrol in as it may have gone off.
I did want to get the bike MOTd next week so I can run it for the rest of summer (whatever is left of it anyway) but it may have to wait a bit longer Sad

Thanks anyway guys Smile

DopeB
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:22 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spoken to a man in the know. basically I need to find out what the compression levels on an rg215 should be and then have mine tested to compare the results.

Does anyone know the figure it should be?

Cheers

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:43 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its worth draining the tank and putting fresh in, just so you know the petrol isn't the problem. Between the time I crashed the bike and could ride it again water had gotten into my tank meaning it would not run well at all (sounded really sick, idling was all over the place, misfiring and when opening the throttle the bike would just die instantly), I put some fresh in and cleaned the plug and off it went again, back to its usual self.

If petrol is getting on the plug then petrol is getting to the engine and by the sounds of it flooding it. If I were you I would try and bump start the bike before you go taking it apart.

I think possible causes for it not starting are:

Ignition timing adrift, if the spark isn't at the right point in the 2 stroke cycle the engine wont run / or will run very poorly. The timing will only go adrift if its been fiddled with by someone, or if there is a fault with the ignition system (for example one of my bikes had been put together without a thrust washer, it would run when timed up but when it was put into gear the crankshaft moved from side to side allowin the timing to slip). The spark should take place at 22 Degrees Before top dead centre (BTC) @ 4000rpm according to my imformation.

Low compression: If the engine is knackered and the fuel / air charge isn'tcompressed enough the engine will not run / or will run poorly, however this is unlikely to happen over a short amount of time as compresisona only goes down as a result of wear in the engine, how many miles has it done? Compression will also suffer if the bike was seized before being sold to you, ask the previous owner if it wasn't running when you brought it. Low compression will be easy to diagnose using a compression test (speak to any local garage, should only cost about a fiver), or by actually feeling there is no compressiona when kicking it over with a kickstart (I dont think your bike will have one if it is elecy start). If it is low comporession your bike will need an ening rebuild (about £150)

Fuel system fault: as well as bad petrol, there could be leaks in the fuel system as Robby said causing a poor air fuel mixture on which the bike wont run. However it sounds to me that the bike is being flooded (petrol soaked spark plug), this could be caused by a rich fuel mixture, or over excessive use of the choke / throttle when trying to start. If it is the latter a medium speed bump start with very little throttle and no choke should bring it back to life.

This covers the Compression / Spark / Fuel requirements of the engine as mentioned by DaFrostyOne.

Also try replacing the spark plug anyway, even if it is sparking. If its trying to start but not quite making it a new spark plug could make the difference if the old one is producing a slightly poor spark. Two strokes in particular need spark plugs changing regularly as part of the service routine, and whenever I have starting problems with my bike it is usaully the sparkplug which needs replacing. The spark plug gap on your engine will either be 0.6mm or 0.7mm if its an RG FU-N.

Hope this helps a little,

Cheers, Jonathan

Last edited by badlydamaged on 14:51 - 30 Jun 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:46 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory compression for an RG125 is 8-10kgcm2, so it should be between or just under these figures if it's a servicable engine. Thumbs Up

Cheers, Jonathan

DopeB
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:55 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've been an amazing help

Thanks m8

thanks to everyone else too Smile
it's nice to know there are people out there willing to help Smile

I'll get to work on it tonight and let you know how it goes tomorrow
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1