Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

REVIEW: Pro Action Hike Lite Tent

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 20 Feb 2010    Post subject: REVIEW: Pro Action Hike Lite Tent Reply with quote

After looking around for a tent that had a small pack size and was light, I came across the Pro Action Hike Lite tent from Argos (bear with me).

Reviews of it were good and for the small price of £22 delivered, I had to buy one. Compare this to the other tent I was looking at, the Vango Banshee 200, which has a similar weight and pack size, but was priced at £70. Now yes, with the Vango Banshee you do get 3000mm of hydrostatic head (rather than the 2000mm with Hike Lite) and the tent is fire retardant, but I don't think it justifies spending another £48.

I ordered the tent on Wednesday with the free option of next day delivery. It arrived Thursday and I started weighing and measuring.

The stated weight is 2100g, yet when weighed on my scales, it came to 1989g. Excellent.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1483.jpg

I then measured the tent's packed dimensions.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1468.jpg

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1471.jpg

The tent comes with alloy spiked tent pegs and alloy poles which help keep the weight down. It also comes with a spares bag which includes a guy line and tent peg.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1484.jpg

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1486.jpg

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1485.jpg

I pitched the inner first, which is a little disadvantage in the event of rain, but it took me only 3 minutes and 41 seconds from unpacking to being pitched.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1487.jpg

Pitching is very easy as the fly sheet clips to the poles rather than you having to feed the poles through the sheet. The poles are very easy to slot together due to the elastic cord that runs down the middle.

I put the outer, waterproof sheet over the top. This ties to the poles and then clips to the pegging points of the fly sheet. These can then be tightened up to keep the inner and outer sheet separated. It has pre-attached guy lines to make pitching quicker.

All together it took me 10 minutes and 53 seconds from start to finish.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1491.jpg

Once pitched and everything tightened up, the inner sheet stays well away from from the outer. There is also a hook for my lantern which I was a little worried there wouldn't be as it's not mentioned anywhere.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1493.jpg

Inside there's plenty of room for my midget 5'7" and I have no worries about having enough room to keep my riding gear and bag in there with me. If you are taller, I don't think you would have any issues. The tent is quite long and there was lots of room at the end of my feet for more man.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1489.jpg

It also has a little porch that you could cook in, but bear in mind that it isn't fireproof so it may not be the best of ideas.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1490.jpg

I got my hose pipe out and gave it a good soaking. When I opened the door though, some water fell in off the outer sheet. I'm sure I could have avoided this if I was more careful.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1494.jpg

Apart from that, it was fine and it didn't leak anywhere.

Pros:

Arrow Lightweight
Arrow Small pack size
Arrow Very roomy (for a one man tent)
Arrow Alloy tent pegs and poles
Arrow Bargain price

Cons:

Arrow It's bright orange
Arrow Pitch inner first
Arrow The tab on the zip sticks to the velcro on the outside
Arrow The guy line tensioner slips on the line, but this could be because it's new

Summary:

Overall it's a great little tent that can't be beaten on price. If you need a small tent I highly recommend it. The quality of the product is very good and I have no complaints. I look forward to summer.

Click me to buy one.

Last edited by ms51ves3 on 18:01 - 20 Feb 2010; edited 1 time in total

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 20 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your garden is unusually tide
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 20 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know how tidy my garden usually is? Laughing

I've just packed it away and that was easy too. Back in its bag and down to its tiny size.

CRF_Rider
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:03 - 20 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks alright for the price. I have an Aztec Esquina https://www.aztecoutdoor.co.uk/tents/performance/2person/esquina.htm but more expensive @ £100, but packs up very small (has compression straps).

Its 5000mm waterproof (best i could find in the price range £70-£100), Pitch is flysheet first too which i wanted. Its stated at 3.2kg but i weighed it and its 3kg. Poles + pegs are 7001 T6 alloy so nice and light. Very good design the wind an rain kinda blows over it.

Advantages of orange are: when ya pissed and stumbling back at rally very easy to find at night Thumbs Up

Disadvantages: looks odd when ya wake up an the sun is shining on it.

People think your a bit of a pose-whore for KTM branding Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 20 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

yzf_pyerat wrote:
...but packs up very small (has compression straps).

This tent has compression straps too.

Here's a picture of it next to my sleeping bag:

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1482.jpg

CRF_Rider
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:33 - 20 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats similar to mine, in that the tent is now smaller than the sleeping bag. So i bought a compression harness type thing for that too. Thumbs Up

So out of everything the tent and sleeping bag are now the smallest items and my clothes are the largest. Confused

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 20 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
How do you know how tidy my garden usually is? Laughing

For a garden

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:07 - 21 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got myself a small lightweight backpacking tent as well to hopefully go backpacking this spring
i went for a gelert solo at £25 (mine packed is 35x15x15 cm and weighs 1.4kg), its not got a lot of head room though, i wanted a low tent for some stealth type wild camping, pitch up at dusk pack up by dawn, because wild camping is illegal in england except dartmoor

on your post you haven't put anything about seam sealing the fly sheet, the fabric might be waterproof but when its stitched your breaking the water proofing, the solo is already weather checked and has taped seams but its still recommended that you seam seal it. I've got a pot of seam sealer to go on my flysheet, just got to wait for a nice clear day
https://camping.about.com/od/tentfaq/f/tentseams.htm
also it looks like you haven't got a ground sheet, its just for a little bit more protection so you don't pierce the tents floor, and also its keeps the bottom of the tent clean, ill fold the 2 dirty sides together horizontally and roll it up and fasten it to the outside of my rucksack
just my 2p worth

Very Happy

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 21 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

1234 wrote:
on your post you haven't put anything about seam sealing the fly sheet...
...also it looks like you haven't got a ground sheet

He's reviewing the tent, not camping practices.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 21 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

1234 wrote:
just got myself a small lightweight backpacking tent as well to hopefully go backpacking this spring
i went for a gelert solo at £25 (mine packed is 35x15x15 cm and weighs 1.4kg), its not got a lot of head room though, i wanted a low tent for some stealth type wild camping, pitch up at dusk pack up by dawn, because wild camping is illegal in england except dartmoor

on your post you haven't put anything about seam sealing the fly sheet, the fabric might be waterproof but when its stitched your breaking the water proofing, the solo is already weather checked and has taped seams but its still recommended that you seam seal it. I've got a pot of seam sealer to go on my flysheet, just got to wait for a nice clear day
https://camping.about.com/od/tentfaq/f/tentseams.htm
also it looks like you haven't got a ground sheet, its just for a little bit more protection so you don't pierce the tents floor, and also its keeps the bottom of the tent clean, ill fold the 2 dirty sides together horizontally and roll it up and fasten it to the outside of my rucksack
just my 2p worth

Very Happy

It has taped seams. I've slept in a tent before for many rainy nights that only had taped seams and no seam sealer and it never leaked so I'm not worried.

I'm not carrying a groundsheet round as that defeats the object of having a lightweight tent. If the bottom of it gets pierced I'll use some duck tape to repair it. If it gets really bad I'll buy another tent. Also it seems a bit pointless to put a groundsheet down to stop your tent getting dirty.

I did look at the Gelert Solo, but it's smaller, has fibreglass poles, steel pegs and is more expensive. There is no way I could fit me, my bag and my riding gear in a Gelert Solo. On the Gelert website it states the packed size is 40 x 15 x 15. Now from experience I highly doubt it is smaller than that when the Gelert tent I have, which supposedly has a packed size of 50 x 15 x 15 actually has a packed size of 60 x 20 x 20.

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:23 - 21 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thats up to you fella it was a suggestion

a light weight ground sheet weighs nothing, my polythene footprint weight 150g max
when your putting it in a rucksack you dont want mud to be over everything else do you, that my personal preference though, you might want mud over the rest of your gear

i took a pic to show you its under 35cm , its all down to how you pack it, i know its smaller ive only got to fit a 30l rucksack in mine, i was thinking about a bivvy bag for some time but i thought the solo would have more ventilation and i could fit my rucksack in the porch, it has fiberglass poles which i dont see as a problem (ive used fibre glass poles for years in my fishing bivvy and have never had a problem), they can be replaced at a later date if needs be. and even with steel pegs and a ground sheet mine still weighs less Very Happy

its all personal preference though

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 21 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

1234 wrote:
a light weight ground sheet weighs nothing, my polythene footprint weight 150g max
when your putting it in a rucksack you dont want mud to be over everything else do you, that my personal preference though, you might want mud over the rest of your gear

It has a bag to put the tent in so I still don't see the point. Plus my tent isn't actually going in my rucksack but clipping to the top so it's just extra unnecessary weight.

1234 wrote:
...mine still weighs less Very Happy

Because it's smaller Wink

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:36 - 21 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough, i have to pack mine Thumbs Up

its not how big it is its how you use it Laughing

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 23 Feb 2010    Post subject: Re: REVIEW: Pro Action Hike Lite Tent Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
The stated weight is 2100g, yet when weighed on my scales, it came to 1989g. Excellent.

Mine's just arrived, 1992g Thumbs Up Haven't pitched it yet, but I've had it all out, and I am impressed with the quality of the materials for the price, especially the poles.

Quote:
I pitched the inner first, which is a little disadvantage in the event of rain, but it took me only 3 minutes and 41 seconds from unpacking to being pitched.

I'm guessing that with the poles assembled and ready to attach, it'll be less than a minute that the inner is exposed if it was raining, especially if you do one half at a time; i.e. peg the feet area whilst it's folded in half, fit the foot pole, unroll and peg the head side (one peg), fit the head pole then put the fly on.

I also reckon that the fly could be attached at the foot end before unfolding the head end, so the body area wouldn't be exposed at all. Sure, there might be some fiddling in pegging the rest out, but the whole "inner first problem" isn't that big a deal.

Looking forward to the maiden voyage, even if it's just a night in my garden, once the snow's gone and I can clear the cat shit out of the way Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 23 Feb 2010    Post subject: Re: REVIEW: Pro Action Hike Lite Tent Reply with quote

Excellent Thumbs Up

I see where you are coming from with the pitch inner issue. I might have to try pitching it your way next time just to see how long it takes.

I would have slept out in mine at the weekend, but my sleeping bag is rated for a temperature of 10°c so I would have been freezing.

fatsamurai
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:11 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these. It was about the same price when I got it five or six years ago

It used it three or four times a year for about 5 years. Survived some torrential downpours and stayed dry.

One of the zips gave up the ghost last year, forcing me to get rid. It was an excellent tent & well worth the money.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:39 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww seems its up to £48.00 now on Argos?? Sad

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:

Shocked Bloody hell. I knew I should have bought two.

I guess it will be cheap again next winter.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:56 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
Sparks! wrote:

Shocked Bloody hell. I knew I should have bought two.

I guess it will be cheap again next winter.

Wish I bought it last week! Cos I now need a tent Laughing

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:

Dance!

I was soooo close to buying two. Now's the time to watch eBay, as they'll start getting listed from £25 up.

[edit] It's started.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRO-ACTION-HIKE-LITE-1-MAN-TENT-NEW_W0QQitemZ370339985650QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN?hash=item5639fbb8f2

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. Next winter I'm stocking up Laughing

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be buying another, especially if they rerelease the green ones.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 10 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Argos have stopped selling this tent altogether now Sad

Going to have to really look after this one.

CarlosCBR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 12 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a damn shame! I saw Tesco are selling a couple of tents at the moment and i need one for the BMF weekend next month where it usually rains!!

Might work out a way to hitch a caravan to the CBR125!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:27 - 12 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the colour wouldn't bother me, but when I pitched it last week it was smothered by insects within 10 seconds of me getting the flysheet out.

What confuses me is that when the little sods realise that (a) they can't eat it, (b) they can't mate with it and (c) they can't fight it, why don't they just fuck off? Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2