BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leathers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:58 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Leathers Reply with quote

I am going to order some leathers on the internet. Now my mum is paying for these (woohoo) so I guess I have £300 to spend. Now what I want is a 2 piece suit thats good, and not too expensive. If anyone has any decent links then could you post them up and also give and reccomendations.

Would appreciate quick responses as I am going to order the leathers now Very Happy

Thanks,

Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:57 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're ordering them on the web? Shocked

Fair enough if you don't want them to fit properly I suppose...

I would suggest Hein Gericke. They do a good set of two piece leathers (I believe they are still called "Pro Sports Tribal 2 piece")

https://www.hein-gericke.com/

Not only do they cost just under £300, they also do very well in RiDE tests for armour, stitching strength and general protection/quality. Bear in mind that these tests often include suits costing three times as much. Also, the Gericke Hiprotec armour that comes as standard, is the only body armour tested by RiDE that keeps its protective qualities after one accident.
A further advantage is the suit comes with a foam back protector that is not likely to injure you if it moves during a spill.

give them a go!

HTH. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:10 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, but which one is the on you are on about?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:25 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.hein-gericke.com/hg-shop/eurobike/eb_content_articles_01.php?sessionID=69eb28aa2820880e62c99c86d48d63c1@108655864&languageID=2&companyID=1&countryID=1&wgID=1&aogID=1003&agID=10007&augID=100013&productID=100458&articleID=&labelID=&iStart=8&referer=/hg-shop/eurobike/eb_content_products.php

https://www.hein-gericke.com/hg-shop/eurobike/eb_content_articles_01.php?sessionID=69eb28aa2820880e62c99c86d48d63c1@108655864&languageID=2&companyID=1&countryID=1&wgID=1&aogID=1009&agID=&augID=&productID=100421&articleID=&labelID=3&iStart=32&referer=/hg-shop/eurobike/eb_content_products.php

That should get you started. For some reason the 2 piece suit page doesn't work, but the two seperately are the same price anyway.

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:32 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cissburyleathers.com/details.asp?ID=433&Cat=31 is that good?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:39 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, although the 'CE armour' is probably hard armour, which I think can cause more injury than it solves...

RST are a reasonable make though. I'd like to see how they fare in a RiDE test TBH.

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:39 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am I best off with the German site as it is £50 cheaper as well?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:42 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its up to you. Gericke have a very good reputation.

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:03 - 25 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for all of the help!

rsooty
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:25 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look around your local stockist to see which you find comfy. I noticed a 2 piece Frank thomas for under £200.

Failing that ask local bikers if they have any good quality second hand ones. I bought a 1 piece Frank Thomas Extreme Race in perfect condition for £200 of a mate who bought them and realized he couldn't afford to insure his bike so decided not to buy one.

Sooty

Sacarius
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:01 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mcaleicester.co.uk/dainese/dainese2psuits.htm

Dainese Tribal at the bottom, 399 as it's last seasons.
The way your heart sounds makes all the difference. It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel. The way your heart beats makes all the difference in learning to live. Spread before you is your soul. So forever hold the dreams within our hearts. Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:00 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would suggest going into your local branch of where ever you're going to mail order from and try one some of the leathers you're looking at. Hein Gericke are the same price in the shops as they are mail order so you might as well go in and actually try them on.

RST leathers are all basically £299.99 and they're good enough assuming that they fit you well. Badly fitting leathers can do injuries to you so you want to make sure you're getting a brand which the fit is right for you. Just becuase it can fit someone of your height and build doesn't mean it will fit as well as some others. Just like with helmets, the best ones are the ones which fit you well.

Look for CE armour, british standards, and basically what looks to be good build quality as the leathers are the only thing in the event of a crash between you and the road so it's not worth cutting corners really, well not if you value your skin!

Go try them on, decide what you want then make your mind up from there. If your local shop stock what you want you might as well get them from there as it's better to support your local shop as if you get on well with them they'll be happy to help you out should the need turn up.

I went with RST leathers, after trying lots and lots of different brands of leathers on, then decided that RST were the best fit and quality for the price bracket I was shopping in. After knowing what size I was looking for them in, I mail ordered them off a website as no where local stocked them anyway so as opposed to a nice journey to get them, it was better to save some cash and order online.

Happy hunting. Thumbs Up

Ste

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 04:37 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool. I will try find a shop and try some on then when I find out what size I am I will order them. Thanks for all the help Thumbs Up

Ben

Jinx
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:51 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever leasthers you get (or that you already own) I would definitely recommend getting getting down to hein gerikes and buying hipprotec armour
It is far more comfortable than hard armour and you are as safe - maybe safer - if you have an off. Worth every penny!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1